Trail Question in Southern NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tycho_32

Reaction score
Hi my friend told me about a trail that runs from Derry NH to Portsmouth NH. It supposedly runs along an old railroad grade and runs near Lake Massabessic. I am guessing around 60 miles long. Any information would be greatly appreciated--even the name of the trail would be great. Thanks

There is no name to the old railroad trails and yes... it's actually 1 mile from my house!

Anyway... I hear that in Fremont it actually stops and starts up again on the other side of a protected forest area. Perhaps the state would have some information about it? Fish and Game patrols the area on ATVS. Give em a call.

SJ

I do know that there is biking and snowmobiling in the winter. Sherpa John do you know where the trail starts?

Not sure of its actual "START" But if you go down BY-Pass 28 from Derry Traffic Circle.. its about 2 miles from there. You go past Kershaws country store and down the huge hill past Promises to keep and its at the bottom of the hill with the junction of Kilrea Rd. I know its goes east and west from there.

Here is a link: http://www.nhtrails.org/Trailspages/ATVpages/ATVRockMap2.html

I'm not sure its the same trail your thinking of however.

Here is the trail you are thinking of :
PARKING AREAS
Rockingham Recreational Trail
Portsmouth Branch
Manchester: Massabesic - South side of traffic circle - parking is on the right.
Candia: Depot Road - Route 27, south on Langford Road, take right onto Depot Road.
Newfields: At the Old Depot - DO NOT park by the active railroad track.

more Links:
http://www.nhtrails.org/Trailspages/RecRlTrl.html
http://members.fortunecity.com/railtrails/NH/MP/MR-home.htm

HOpe that all helps :cool:

I Biked the Rail Trail from Massabesic rotary to Exeter about 2 years ago.. The trail is in great shape and actually becomes railroad tracks after about 30 miles in Exeter. There are a couple places to stop and take a swim in Onaway Lake (I think) in Deerfield and another pond after you cross 102 in Raymond..

The trail forms a "Y"

It starts in Newfields, actually, not Portsmouth, and runs straight to Massabesic Lake. Great biking. The trail passes lots of streams/bogs and is a scenic ride. Lots of trash near the Speedway. A McDonalds/Dunkin Donuts/Shaws just off the trail in Raymond, and a Burger King and others a mile or so off the trail in Epping.

West of Epping, a leg branches off and heads toward Derry. I never followed this all the way because both times I was on it someone had galloped horses on the trail recently and dug up huge holes in the trail bed. Very tough bike riding and not at all pleasant. Would have been okay walking, I'm sure.

I've always meant to do a loop: Newfields to Derry to Massabesic to Newfields, about 60-70 miles total, but for some reason never got to it.

Browse the mountain biking books in a Barnes & Noble. Most mention this trail. The book by Bob Fitzhenry has an elevation profile, which is pretty flat :)

Is this the dirt railroad grade that passes under I-93 that I see and wonder about every time I'm driving up to the Whites?

MichaelJ said:
Is this the dirt railroad grade that passes under I-93 that I see and wonder about every time I'm driving up to the Whites?

Nope, this rail trail doesn't actually get as far as 93 - its stops at Exit 1 on 101 just east of 93. BTW - Frosty summed up the trails very well. The branch from Epping to Derry allows motorized vehicles I believe, which is why it is more sandy than the main route.

BTW - if you follow the tracks from Newfields to Portsmouth, you get to walk/ride along the Great Bay and also get to cross through some very expensive properties with some very nice views. I have followed it as far as Route 33, but turned around there. Not sure exactly where it comes out in Portsmouth.

I've ridden the rail from Epping west and from Epping esat to Newfields, but it was 15 years ago. You will meet numerous folks on various motorized contrivances regardless of the postings at the trail access points, but should see some wildlife as well (increasingly scarce in this rapidly developing part of the state.) It is heavily used by snowmobiles in winter. There also used to be an unhappy property owner east of the western end (I believe west of Fremont) that had placed boulders on the railbed to stop dirt bike users, gave me an excellent opportunity to faceplant over the handlebars of my old Rockhopper, when I tried to bypass them at an excessive cycling pace. Be advise that if you follow active railbeds from Newfields to Portsmouth you risk getting ticketed. The folks that are running the Downeaster commuter train have had plenty of poeple ticketed for crossing the railbed south of Exeter, which for years was a favorite for joggers, walkers, hunters, etc....

I had really hoped to walk from my house in Derry to Portsmouth via this trail. I obviously dont want to get into any kind fo trouble. I then wanted to follow up this hike with one from the border of Mass to the the ocean in RI via the North-South Trail. I am going to walk on it as far as I can and then call my wife to pick me up I suppose.

tycho_32 said:
I had really hoped to walk from my house in Derry to Portsmouth via this trail. I obviously dont want to get into any kind fo trouble. I then wanted to follow up this hike with one from the border of Mass to the the ocean in RI via the North-South Trail. I am going to walk on it as far as I can and then call my wife to pick me up I suppose.
As far as I know walking is allowed on the entire length. Some parts don't allow motor vehicles in the summer.

You could walk to Portsmouth easily. Take the rail trail from Derry to Epping. Take a right where the two legs meet and continue east. I'm trying to recall (a compass or GPS would be handy here) but at Newfields, I believe the track splits. If so, follow the right hand set of tracks (plenty of room to walk) to Portsmouth. The tracks follow Great Bay as CHomp said and reach Portsmouth near the Industrial Park (Liberty Mutual and Hospital) and continue into town. They go right downtown behind the Sheraton before ending at the harbor.

If you think you might do this, reply in this thread and I'll check it out from the Portsmouth end and make sure the directions at Newfields are right.

What book would you be referring too. Is that the North-South Trail book or a book about the trail in Southern NH?
Thanks
Joel B Miller

cantdog said:
The former. There is an older post from Tramper Al with all the details on how to order it.
I've been wanting to do this trail for a couple of years. I bought the book two years ago and had a very hard time of it. Eventually got it from some RI nature conservency.

After a couple debacles with the Bay CIrcuit Trail, I think I'd stick a few waypoints into my GPS before trying the N-S Trail. That way, even it I get off the trail, I can always re-locate myself at the next road crossing.

Frosty said:
After a couple debacles with the Bay CIrcuit Trail, I think I'd stick a few waypoints into my GPS before trying the N-S Trail. That way, even it I get off the trail, I can always re-locate myself at the next road crossing.
I agree that some of these long distance New England trails can be more difficult to follow than others. For me, the toughest navigation may occur with a road crossing or road walk, where blazing may be sparce or non-existent. Having the most recent guidebook in hand, however, has always been sufficient to keep me on track, even if the trail has been modified or relocated since publication.

Keep an eye out for trail updates on the trail website. This works for the Cohos, Long, SRKG, and MST generally. I have not seen online "updates" for the NST, M&M, or IAT-ME.

I know that the Bay Circuit still has some gaps. The North-South has no gaps, and I found the guide book to be excellent both for walking the trail as well as locating various trailheads and road crossings. In no case did I actually lose the trail or have to come up with a connection between sections on my own. Carrying a GSPR with a few key waypoints can be very helpful, I agree.

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
For me, the toughest navigation may occr with a road crossing or road walk, where blazing may be sparce or non-existent. Having the most recent guidebook in hand, however, has always been sufficient to keep me on track, even if the trail has been modified or relocated since publication.
I tend to lose the Warner and Bay Circuit Trails a lot among the plethora of dirt bike trails. I've found that inputting GPS coordinates of places where the trail crosses the road solves my key dilemma: Now that I've hit the road I want, do I turn left or right to regain the trail? Of course, my GPS points are mostly guesstimates based on looking at a map.

I find it humorous that no maps are needed for the 2000 mile AT, but a GPS is all but required for the 33 mile Warner Trail :)