Trail Runners - Gore-Tex or not - that is the question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
I saw a conversation in a previous thread about the limited usefulness of gore-tex in trail runners. I'm trying to find out if most people go for gore-tex in trail runners or not. I've worn 2 pairs of Montrail Hurricane XCR's and been moderately satisfied but now they are now discontinued.

Also are there any other brands/shoes that folks have had success with? Obviously this is a personal choice but I'm trying to get some ideas. I've been looking at the Vasque Velocity VST Shoe and Montrail Mountain Masochist GTX. Also, is there any benefit to getting a higher ankle shoe?

Thanks.

I have the gore tex version of women's Vasque Breeze XCR and I love them for hiking and trail running. They have taken a real beating! The goretex makes them a bit hot for running in warmer weather; but on a positive note, they are actually pretty waterproof and super grippy on wet rocks.

Happy Trails!

IMO, the GoreTex/non-GoreTex decision comes down to your ultimate intended use.

I had a pair of regular (i.e., non-GoreTex) Salomon trail running shoes that I loved, but unfortunately this year they were too trashed and I replaced them with a pair of Merrills. I wore the Salomons in a couple adventure races and they worked great. Yes, they got soaked when running through puddles or standing in the water during a run/paddle transition, but they dried out quickly. I found that running actually helps squeeze the water out of the shoe.

My trailrunning/adventure racing partner used to run with a pair of GoreTex shoes, but found that, after a good soaking, the waterproof/breathable membrane actually inhibited the drying out of the shoe, so he switched to a pair of regular nylon shoes.

All that said, I'm probably going to pick up a pair of Salomon XCRs at some point, to wear for winter trailrunning and/or trail snowshoeing. In this case, the shoes aren't going to get soaked by running through standing water, but the GoreTex should help keep some of the snow from wetting out the shoe from the outside.

Dry feet = warm feet = happy feet! ;)

I think Gore-Tex defeats the purpose (and reason). In general, if you wear decent socks and your trail runners are meshy enough, when you run through a stream crossing they'll drain out quick enough that you'll be pretty comfortable. More so than with hot, sweaty feet because of loser Goretex.

Also, FWIW, I have Vasque trail runners and while they're super comfortable, they're about as grippe as a turd on a wet toilet seat. Wicked comfortable but my old La Sportivas blew them away on slick slabby rock. Also, they don't drain as well as the La Sportivas (but did I mention? they're wicked comfortable!:))

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I have a pair of mesh upper and another pair of gore- tex lined trail runners that are basically the same design Salomons. I start many days with a early morning hike with the dogs, and have found the dew on the grass leaves my feet soaked in the mesh uppers before we even start to head up the mountain. Mud puddles penetrate the mesh quickly when just close to them!

I have not found the disadvantage of the gore -tex model yet....

i recently got a pair of vasque mercury xcr"s on stp.com.
wasnt to keen on the idea of gore tex at first due to heat build up but since i use full foot orthotics i felt that protecting my footbeds was worth a bit of warmth.
formerly i had some velocitys and loved them, i feel similarly now about the mercurys but also find the mercurys have more volume, and better cushioning while bieng just as stiff as the velocitys, and i havent noticed the shoe bieng too warm at all.
i highly recommend them:D

Waterproof shoes are fine if you're planning on never going over the ankle in water, but the way the past few summers have been I've gotten used to wet feet.

If you do decide on meshy, non-waterproof trail runners, I've found that shopping around for the lightest, most airy pair you can find is well worth the effort. Several pairs of trail runners that I've worn through river crossings and trails-turned-rivers seem to be overbuilt with thick padding and several solid sections on the upper, which inhibit the draining and evaporation of water from the drenched shoe. That kind of defeats the purpose, in my eyes.

What I'm using now is a pair of NewBalance 874 (discontinued, but replaced by the 875, which seems almost as good), which have an extremely thin upper that dries out wicked fast once they're out of wet environments. A somewhat reliable (but not perfect) test I use in the shoe store is to look inside the sneaker, and if there's a shadow on the insole from light shining through the mesh upper, you've got a nicely breathable shoe.

I recently purchased the New Balance "Off Road" goretex runner. I don't consider myself a trail runner but rarely run on roads or streets ... so I guess that's off road.

What I like about New Balance in general is they are so light weight yet offer really good support and protection for my foot which is critical, in my mind, to avoid long term foot problems. I also like that they are reasonably accessible to me at their outlet in Brighton.

I think Gore-Tex defeats the purpose (and reason). In general, if you wear decent socks and your trail runners are meshy enough, when you run through a stream crossing they'll drain out quick enough that you'll be pretty comfortable. More so than with hot, sweaty feet because of loser Goretex.

Also, FWIW, I have Vasque trail runners and while they're super comfortable, they're about as grippe as a turd on a wet toilet seat. Wicked comfortable but my old La Sportivas blew them away on slick slabby rock. Also, they don't drain as well as the La Sportivas (but did I mention? they're wicked comfortable!:))

-Dr. Wu

Gore-Tex shoes, runners or whatever, are warmer than non Gore-Tex shoes. Also while water resistant, I've never had a pair (out of seven or eight) that were completely waterproof over an extended period of rain or slop.

Gore-Tex, because it is warmer is, I feel, more comfortable when the weather is cooler or in early spring when dealing with some residual snow.

Gore-Tex does have one feature seldom mentioned. It wears like iron on the inside. I've yet to wear through a Gore-Tex liner.

Gore-Tex, of course, has nothing to do with traction. Sabrina wasn't implying that it did. She was simply saying that her particular brand of shoe had a Gore-Tex liner and also very sticky soles which are probably Vibram.

After years of swearing never to need froo-froo Gore-Tex shoes, last year I gave in and bought a pair thinking they would be useful for winter trailrunning. :rolleyes:

However this past winter in southern NY snow was miserable and temps were never so cold. I was actually sweaty and uncomfortable in the shoes (from North Face, NFI) the one time I wore them, in cold snowy conditions. Same goes for me when wearing Gore-Tex jackets in the Northeast in winter, unless the air is very very cold and dry.

I rarely have a problem with feet being cold and when I do run through streams or in the rain the non-GTX shoes dry out quickly, which seems to be everyone else's experience here. One would need to wear gaiters for stream crossings if one wanted to wear GTX shoes and stay dry.

I plan on using them with gaiters in upcoming snowshoe races as I think they will be useful for keeping warm and dry in marathon-distance events in the middle of New England winter.

You know, I think the bottom line is the common sense approach, if you find a particular pair that you LOVE, and they offer them in GTX, consider buying both and rotate them according to conditions to get the longest wear out of each.

The problem I have found with GTX really stands out in the warmer weather, hot feet = smelly feet...these ain't my brother's trailrunners, so why do they smell like they are???:):p:eek:

Thanks for clarifying my post, Ed, YES -- I meant that the Vasque Breeze GTX have awesome traction -- best I've even had -- better than Salomon Contragrip and better than my Asolo GTX boots -- I can't attest to the Vasque Breeze non GTX grip, because I don't own those...:rolleyes:

ive been having good luck with the montrail mountain masochists non gore tex this summer. paired with the montail enduro soles they are sturdy enough for the northern pressis and in my opinion have unparalelled traction. im on my third pair since july. but i do get about 350 hard miles out of them.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. The biggest problem for me is finding them in stores. I guess I'll have to try Zappos since they have free shipping (returns too) (and no I dont' work for them!). I've looked in several ems and other outdoor stores and all they seem to have are salomons and tnf.