Trail Running in the Whites or Western Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some good paths for trail running in the Whites or Western Maine? What I mean by good is wider ones like the Wilderness Trail. Are there any others in the lower lands that are on old railroad beds or just happen to be wide and long? I've hiked the 48, so I know all about the routes up the mountains.. just looking to gather some info on the flatter, wider ones I haven't traveled yet. :D

Artex - how about Hancock Notch trail to Cedar Brook trail to the East Branch trail, Sawyer River Road, Livermore trail, Tripoli Road.

Lots of good trail running around the Sugarloaf ski area. If you want fairly flat or rolling I suggest the mountain bike trails connected to the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center. One of the trails is called the Narrow Gauge path and it goes from Bigelow Station to the Carrabassett Valley crossing...its about 5 miles and very smooth and wide. There's also a trail that goes through the foothills of the Bigelow range that connects Carrabasset Valley to the trail head near the the AT in Wyman. Plus there's miles and miles of snowmobile trails. I suggest you start by contacting the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center (207) 237-2000(main Sugarloaf #). Some the trail heads in and around the Bigelows can be difficult to find and because they're managed/ maintained by different organizations (Sugarloaf/USA, Bigelow Preservation and various snowmobile clubs) they don't clearly show up on one map, but most of the locals up there are willing to help. I'm at work now, but I may be able to get more detailed info at home tonight.

I was accidentally on Hancock notch trail a couple weekends ago (something about reading more than the first word on a sign and consulting a map instead of just knowing that the hancocks can be done as a loop. Hancock notch is not the other side of the loop :p ) It's pretty flat but we had to deal with hundreds of spiderwebs across the trail. There were a couple blowdowns too. So obstacle running, duck the spiderwebs, jump the logs.

I've never been there, but I've heard good things about Wild River Trail and Highwater trail's relative flatness. I also remember Dry River Trail as having a very gradual elevation gain.

another good trailrunnin' trail is davis path off 302 up towards isolation (and beyond). relatively smooth and gently rolling (with a couple of good uphill pulls) and good scenery. some slab runnin' too.

trail running

try town hall road in Bartlett, dirt road to mountain pond trail and run the loop around the pond. Also pudding pond trails in Conway town forrest off the north south road, lead to Peaked Mountain, Black Cap and Cranmore. Echo lake loop over Whitehorse ledge. Boulder Loop near the Covered Bridge Campground on the Kanc. Bolles Trail on Mt. Chocorua

Artex,

I agree with the Hancock Notch Trail, Sawyer River Trail, Town Hall Rd. These are all great runs. Check out the Rob Brook Area off of Bearnotch Rd. too. I take all my friends from out of town there. The Nanamacomuck starts off the Kanc at the Albany Covered Bridge is a great mtn biking and running trail. For more info on these and other trails check out my trail info on the White Mountain Milers website at http://www.whitemountainmilers.com/runs/runs.html

kltilton said:
Artex,

I agree with the Hancock Notch Trail, Sawyer River Trail, Town Hall Rd. These are all great runs. Check out the Rob Brook Area off of Bearnotch Rd. too. I take all my friends from out of town there. The Nanamacomuck starts off the Kanc at the Albany Covered Bridge is a great mtn biking and running trail. For more info on these and other trails check out my trail info on the White Mountain Milers website at http://www.whitemountainmilers.com/runs/runs.html

Awesome link! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks! :D

Stinkyfeet said:
Artex & all you other trailrunners out there,

Just drive a teeny bit further & run w/me on the Kingdom Trails in East Burke, Vermont. There are about 100 miles of beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, fun single- and doubletrack trails which are really, really RUNABLE!!!!

That sounds primo! I'd love to check it out sometime.