Trailhead Warning Poster

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineguy

Reaction score
This was posted at the trailhead where I went hiking yesterday. I was thinking of sending it to WMNF HQ for them to post in the Whites:rolleyes:

I find the poster humorous because so far these trails are far superior to anything in the Whites. However, there are some things I miss, like standardized trail signs with mileage, and blazes on ledges. I realize this is because there are so many different governing agencies. For instance, yesterday, on one trail, I passed thru 3 different zones...Roosevelt NF, Comanche Peak Wilderness and RMNP.

Attachments

• IMG_9049.JPG
    IMG_9049.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Haha, just back from CO, same feedback, for peaks with trails it's like a highway with switchbacks filled with cotton wearing hikers even in the middle of the week, but trail signs with mileage/elevation gain? Nope, we don't do that here.

One of the things I learned about 20 years ago talking to someone heavilly involved with trail construction and maintenance out west is that the majority of trail construction on federal land is by federal agencies. The PCT was almost entirely built and funded by the NPS and other federal agencies. Same with trails in the southeast national forests. New England in general is the exception where private groups occasionally with government grants do the majority trail construction/maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEO
We just got to Montana and good lord, these first couple trails I've done are ridiculously easy compared to the Whites. It's switchback city and there's nary a rock or root to trip you up. They do have some animals that can eat you so I guess that's the tradeoff.

I like our New England trails. Hard and stony, like our hearts.

This was posted at the trailhead where I went hiking yesterday. I was thinking of sending it to WMNF HQ for them to post in the Whites:rolleyes:

I find the poster humorous because so far these trails are far superior to anything in the Whites. However, there are some things I miss, like standardized trail signs with mileage, and blazes on ledges. I realize this is because there are so many different governing agencies. For instance, yesterday, on one trail, I passed thru 3 different zones...Roosevelt NF, Comanche Peak Wilderness and RMNP.
This is excellent but also sad that every possible threat must be spelled out for those who still need to be told not to snort Tide pods.

We just got to Montana and good lord, these first couple trails I've done are ridiculously easy compared to the Whites. It's switchback city and there's nary a rock or root to trip you up. They do have some animals that can eat you so I guess that's the tradeoff.

I like our New England trails. Hard and stony, like our hearts.
Wow, you're in Big Sky. Great. Some amazing hiking out there, just keep your bear spray in a holster on your hip.

Trails are smooth so you can run like hell when the time comes. Be safe!:)

Wow, you're in Big Sky. Great. Some amazing hiking out there, just keep your bear spray in a holster on your hip.

Trails are smooth so you can run like hell when the time comes. Be safe!:)

Haha, no bear sightings today but I did see a bunch of cool mountain goats. Glacier National Park is the real deal.