Trailwork in VT: Help Wanted!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Help Wanted......Low pay (er, actually no pay) Rewards are all intrinsic.

We are trying to get together a group of volunteers to see if we can't finish up the opening back up of one of Vermont's hilltop pastures that the AT passes through. We have been up there twice now in the past three weeks, but only had three of us last time. Pretty hard to put a dent in the job with that few. Two of the three were in our late sixties so we did everything verrry slowly. We need some young blood out there for just probably one day, to finish. The ATC funded mowing machine is due to do its thing in October so we need to get the bigger brush down and out by the end of the month.

When: Wednesday, 23 September at nine AM at the Pomfret Road AT crossing. We actually drive up the road to a private driveway near the trail for parking after we meet. Bring water and a trail lunch. Gloves and long pants are necessary as the raspberries are about knee high and up.

Users but not supporters?

If it were not for volunteers, the trails you all love so much would probably not exist. Think about it!

If you have volunteered your time to the trails in the past, good for you! If you have never given a day to the trails, shame on you!

Equipment

Hey Tom,

It looks like I can make this one! I hope with one more day up there and some extra hands, we can get this field ready for the mower!

If we can get some help dragging brush we can use both power brush saws. If not then we will only use the one we borrowed from Dartmouth Outing Club. Last time out we were only three and pretty exhausted after a few hours trying to cut and drag brush off the trail.

I've posted this on Whiteblaze, Trailplace, and NationalScenicTrails but with similar results. Mid-week makes it very difficult to get participation. People do have jobs.

Still need help!

We are still on schedule to do trailwork in Vermont this coming Wednesday (September 23rd).

Here are the directions to get there: Take I-89 to US 4 towards Woodstock (VT). In Woodstock take VT 12 West or North to Pomfret Road (signed). Follow Pomfret Road to the AT Crossing and park there. Follow the AT northeast until you run into us working in the big hilltop field. No tools needed, just water, a snack, and long pants/sleeves for the blackberry bushes we'll be wading through.

Please consider joining us. We are running out of time to finish this project.

Help on the Weekend?

I cannot help tomorrow, but could one day this weekend - would that help?

Possibly

I cannot help tomorrow, but could one day this weekend - would that help?

Thanks for responding- so few have - We are going to try and finish tomorrow. If we can't I will let you know and maybe a few people would also be available this weekend. We realize that volunteering during a work week is an impossibility for almost everyone. These work days are occurring during the week because the person in charge is an ATC Naturalist who cannot trade a weekday for a weekend day and still be paid by ATC.

Tom