Training for the Long Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some long days you have planned. I don't know your hiking speed and endurance so it is hard for me to comment but I will say that your Day 2 looks VERY ambitious. If I remember correctly that is the section with the ladders and that section was an emotionally and physically hard one for me.

Don't underestimate the ladders and the terrain in that section and also that road walk through Jonesville takes quite a toll on the body. Other than Day 2, the rest of it looks doable.

It is a REALLY fun section particularly north of Johnson. Have fun !!!

sli74

You definitely have some butt kicking days in there Zac. But if your feeling grear after Day 2 of the Great & MacIntyre Range Backpack, I suppose you're up for it.

It’s not just the mileage and elevation that stand out on the second day but also the terrain. The descent down Bamforth Ridge passes over a lot of hard ledge followed by 3+ miles of paved road walk. Both can be pretty hard on the feet at the end of a long day.

Shooting Star is a much nicer place than Journey’s End Camp and still leaves you with a quick and easy hike to the parking lot on the last day. Also, passing over Jay Peak around lunchtime (July - Labor Day), you can get a pizza sent up on the tramway. :)

Shamie and I have been spending a week backpacking on the LT for the past few years doing it in sections. This July, we'll finish it. Last year, we did the section from Middlebury Gap to Smuggler's Notch and found it to be very rewarding.

I'd second the concerns about Day 2. Bamforth Ridge is long and the roadwalk afterward is draining. That pavement is harsh! That said, I'd suggest that when you do your training hikes that you carry everything that you plan to take with you on your LT trip (and then some). Training with a heavy pack will really help you to be prepared for this trip and you'll enjoy it much more!

Long Trail compared to hiking in the White Mts.

As others have written, the LT is a wonderful trail, with nice variety.
I've noticed differences between the LT and hiking in the Whites (my usual mts.): On the LT the miles seem to be a little longer, the rocks are slipperier, and in VT the viewpoints are called "Lookouts", while in NH they're "Outlooks" (except for the Inlook.)

Journey's End Camp II

Journey's End Camp was taken down in the fall of 2003 and a new shelter, Journey's End Camp II, was built just west of the old location (just west of the brook). It is an enclosed camp and is a beauty. Thanks, GMC!.

While Shooting Star Shelter is also fairly new (the 3-sided shelter was rebulit a few years ago), water is from an unreliable pump.

Don't "avoid" JE - here's a photo taken last summer:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9735&c=571

for those without a spare month

A couple years ago, I wanted to hike the LT, but just couldn't free up enough time (I estimated a little less than a month). I thought about hiking just the northern LT, but I wanted to feel like I "completed" something.

Instead, I hiked the Cohos Trail. While it's certainly a less mature trail, I found that it has its own appeal. I'd recommend it, especially if you only have two weeks to go end-to-end. http://www.cohostrail.org

Thanks for the suggestions. I discussed the info you gave me with my hiking partner. Here are some possible revisions to our trip.
Day 2 – Birch Glen to Bamforth Ridge Shelter, Distance 13.4mi
Day 3 - Bamforth Ridge Shelter to Puffer Shelter, Distance 17.4mi
Day 4 – Puffer Shelter to Sterling Pond Shelter, Distance 15.7mi
Day 8 – Hazens Notch Camp to Shooting Star Shelter, Distance 12.8mi
Day 9 - Shooting Star Shelter to Journey’s End Parking Area, Distance 5.7mi

I have another question a regarding the shelters. I understand that the Battell Shelter and Sterling Pond Shelter charge a fee. Does anyone know how much it costs to stay at these two shelters?

lumberzac said:
I have another question a regarding the shelters. I understand that the Battell Shelter and Sterling Pond Shelter charge a fee. Does anyone know how much it costs to stay at these two shelters?

It was $8 if I remember correctly.

BTW, the new schedule looks much less painful :D

sli74

It's funny, I thought I remembered paying 6$ (at some shelters there was a twofer deal, pay for one night and get a form that gives you one night free). However the web sites all say 5$. Here's the GMC's list of shelters with notes of whether or not there are fees:

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=54

I agree with Sli - the new schedule looks more fun to me. Of course what is an intense and difficult pace for me might be an easy trip for someone else.

Cohos Trail

JRichard--
Do you have any info about winter conditions on the Cohos trail? Is access even possible? How long did you take to do it?
Thanks,
Walt

jrichard said:
A couple years ago, I wanted to hike the LT, but just couldn't free up enough time (I estimated a little less than a month). I thought about hiking just the northern LT, but I wanted to feel like I "completed" something.

Instead, I hiked the Cohos Trail. While it's certainly a less mature trail, I found that it has its own appeal. I'd recommend it, especially if you only have two weeks to go end-to-end. http://www.cohostrail.org

Cohos Trail Journal

whcobbs said:
JRichard--
Do you have any info about winter conditions on the Cohos trail? Is access even possible? How long did you take to do it?
Thanks,
Walt

Winter conditions would be difficult. The trail starts in Crawford Notch, crosses the presidentials, moves up though the northern whites, though Nash Stream Forest, over Dixville notch, and then heads up to the Canadian border. So it would start at cold high elevations and head north to cold latitudes. Also, some of the trails in the far north are over snowmobile trails, and it would be dangerous to hike them while the sleds are out.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be possible, it might even be fun in the winter. Given the right equipment, support, and know-how. Except for the snowmobile trails. I think the CT guidebook author, Kim Nilsen, hikes it extensively in the winter.

It took us slightly less than two weeks in summer. We were moving relatively fast, using lightweight gear and three caches, it might take a tad longer with heavyweight gear.

You can read my journal of the trip at http://trailjournals.com/location.cfm?trailname=3270. (This site isn't indexed by google, for some reason trailjournals seems to have disabled the google crawler. :confused: ) Also, there's quite a bit of info at http://www.cohostrail.org.

And if I can find a hosting service - and get permission from my brother to publish his image, I can put up our photos if there is interest.

I thought I’d give everyone an update.

Do to conflicting schedules we had to push the hike back. It looks like we will be starting Friday night, August 25 and plan to exit on Sunday, September 3, which leaves us with, September 4 (Labor Day), as an extra day just in case. This also leaves more time to do more training hikes in. I can’t wait for this trip.

How many of Vermont's NE 100 highest mountains are on the Long Trail?

The LT goes "over" every one except for Equinox and Dorset.

Mendon is a couple bushwack off the LT right below the Killington summit, and Big Jay is a couple mile 'wack from the Jay Peak summit.

Pico and Killington peaks are about 1.4 and .4 respectively off the LT as well. (Spur trails).