Trangia Cookset Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
I love my Svea. Really, really, really, really love my Svea but I have to admit that when camping with the family, a stove that doesn't require priming is just easier to deal with.

The issue is that people are lazy-heads and like to sleep late or they want another cup of tea and that means starting the stove again and again and again. So my Trangia is just easier in that regard.

My Trangia mini stove stand and DIY windscreen is fine for solo use but not big enough for a large capacity pot really.

I'm looking for big 1.5 to 2 liter pot cable windscreen systems for my current Trangia burner. I see that Trangia and Esbit both make them but I'm not following the gear selections much. Definitely want to stick with the Trangia burner (yes, I get the appeal of DIY burners but I'm not interested due to too many other projects) and definitely want something that is wind worthy.

Suggestions?

So you have a mini trangia and looking to make a better windscreen for it? I agree that the windshield/pot stand that comes with the mini trangia is not ideal but consider making a windscreen and perhaps separating it from the pot stand for better wind protection. Making a larger windscreen to fit a larger 1.5L-2.0L pot isn't that hard.

Look at cylindrical ductwork ducting and with a pair of tin snips you can make as tall a one as you need. Then you can dress the ducting and it probably should fit around your larger pot. Then you could probably just use the one that comes with the mini trangia as a pot stand only.

Any hardware store should carry ductwork in the right diameter that you need...

Jay

Nod.

I'm currently using a DYI stand fashioned out of a large dispossable aluminum cooking sheet. The gauge of the aluminum is about the same as the foldable MSR wind screen and is tough enough to withstand a lot of folding cycles. I could continue in this manner, no problem. Well sort of.

Watched with a bit of envy as another party was using the larger Trangia kit (27 series, I believe) and was impressed by the stability, wind worthiness and nested packing. Unfortunately, my French was a lot weaker than his English but not by much so conversation beyond "Hello, I really like your stove" was impossible.

Hence my request to hear from folks who may have had some experience with these bigger kits.