Trap Dike 9/22

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to do the Trap Dike after 2 other attempts and the weather actually cooperated. I hiked in from Upper Works passing 2 backpackers and 2 dayhikers from lake George who were doing Cliff and Redfield. The Dike was fairly easy to find and I had put the route in my GPS to be doubly sure (since I was doing it solo). Well this was my first slide and let me tell you I can now see why some people search them out so much. It was a blast! I was having so much fun that I felt like a kid at an amusement park wanting to go for a second round. :) The trap dike was so much fun to climb and I didn't feel that the exposure was too much at all. I took my time because I was doing it solo making sure that all my foot and handholds were solid. I made it up and out onto the slide and made my way up. I didn't feel that the steepness was too much and my TNF trail runners once again amazed me with their grip. I sat down half way up and just enjoyed the view for about a half hour "smelling the roses." I even had a chance to harass/taunt some friends by sending them photo text messages on my phone of "the view from my office." :D I enjoyed the summit view for a while and talked to the summit steward before heading down and back to my car. All in all a great day... a little windy but the views were amazing.

The pictures can be seen here.

I'm definately ready for the Eagle Slide next weekend. As for the leaves... I was surprised to find that they were only just beginning to change. The maples have sporadic spots here and there of red but it is really still too early. I'd guess that we have another 2 weeks or so for peak. The whole hike took me about 7 hours but I spent about 30-40 minutes lounging on the slide and then another half hour lounging on top of Colden enjoying the view.

VERY NICE!! :D

I've been wanting to do this for years. I just have to make time next year.

BTW, I really like your "View_Down_Slide" photo. I look at that and say, "Holy Crap!" :D :eek: :D :p
Seriously, that's one of the coolest shots I've seen taken from the slide. :)

Thanks for sharing.

I see that the predicted low for tonight in Lake Placid is in the 20's. That would mean low 20's at slide height. That could give a whole new meaning to the word "slide". I'm sure the slide season isn't over yet but sunny afternoons (and watching the weather even more closely) will be the order of the day.

Neil said:
I see that the predicted low for tonight in Lake Placid is in the 20's. That would mean low 20's at slide height. That could give a whole new meaning to the word "slide". I'm sure the slide season isn't over yet but sunny afternoons (and watching the weather even more closely) will be the order of the day.

Yep, soon the TD will look like this :

Nice report and pics, mtn.goat! I gotta get back over to the 'Dacks sometime relatively soon. :D

I also did the TD a few years ago solo. Always remembered B. McMartin's trail
description, in bold type "Do not leave the dike too early or you'll fall off the mountain and into Avalanche lake" I just had to climb it now! :D Love the view from the top of the slide right down to the lake.My brother and I tried
again this summer I say "tried" because he got a little Acrophobia. I knew
there was one tricky spot where you have to use you're hands and you look
behind you and say "I don't need to fall now" Even I got a little nervous.
Everyone who has done it must know the spot....but after you get by it, it's a piece of cake!...and the best is yet to come!!