Traveler/South Branch Mt Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askus3

Reaction score
Warwick, NY ( 3 miles by crow from Wildcat Shelter
I do not currently have any good guidebook for Baxter. I have never climbed the Traveller. What is the mileage of the Center Ridge loop and elevation gain for the total hike? Could I combine this hike with the west part of the loop to include the South Branch-Black Cat Loop or would that be too much for a hike. What then would be the total elevation gain/distance for this combined loop hike?

I do not currently have any good guidebook for Baxter. I have never climbed the Traveller. What is the mileage of the Center Ridge loop and elevation gain for the total hike? Could I combine this hike with the west part of the loop to include the South Branch-Black Cat Loop or would that be too much for a hike. What then would be the total elevation gain/distance for this combined loop hike?

I've done the loop twice and failed to make the Traveler once.

Mileage is 10.6 miles.
Don't know the elevation but it's a very rough and rocky trek.

My times were 8:40 (1st time solo) and 9:20 hours (2nd time w. daughter).

Here's my 2005 solo report: 2005 report
Here's a report from last year when I did it with my daughter: 2008 report

Don't combine it with the other peaks across the river. It's a wonderful loop, but exhausting.

Last edited:
Working from memory here... I believe the Traveler Loop is 10.7 miles and 3700' of total gain. The newest AMC MMG does show the loop.

The above figures do not include the Black Cat piece, which I have never done, but which I am told has limited views. Most people who hike on that (west) side of the south branch ponds do so as a separate hike.

Not sure if you are contemplating doing this hike on your planned June 2010 trip - but please be aware that the drive from Kidney or Daicey Pond (the only Baxter campgrounds that have cabins) to South Branch Pond, via the narrow and unpaved park roads, is probably 1.5-2 hours each way.

To hike the Traveler Loop your best bet would probably be to enter the park via the Matagamon Gate (north entrance) and stay right at South Branch Pond, or elsewhere at the north end. South Branch Pond has a bunkhouse that will sleep six. There are also lean tos and tent sites.

CORRECTION: the capacity of the bunkhouse is eight, and not six.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/south_branch.html

Last edited:
Yes. I would do this hike as part of my June trip (see other thread). Two hours travel time each way - WOW that is alot. Good thing I am going in June! From what the two of you say the Traveler Loop is sufficient. The black Cat/South Branch Mt. Loop if only has limited views doesn't sound like a very good extended loop. Of course if I do the Traveller Loop clockwise, I do keep my options open to extend if the group chooses to. From PapaBear's report time and energy will not practically allow me the extension, but boulder rocks VS cliff for descent - what the heck, clockwise sounds nice and a pleasant flat lakefront walk at the end sounds more enticing.

It now more than ever pays not to stay (reserve) at the South Branch Pond bunkhouse or I will be having two hour each way trips for all the other hiking in Baxter which would be much worse at eating up time. But with 3-4 hours travel time RT, I probably will do the circle clockwise and settle on just the Traveler loop.
Thanks folks.

Now if someone can answer and give me a strategy to reserve two cabins.

Last edited: