Treadway Mountain...only 5 miles!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prino

Reaction score
Having to commit Saturday and most of Sunday to Canadian thanksgiving... gobble, gobble. I planned to join up with the group that were camping for the weekend at Paradox lake. Knowing that Freddy and Gail were itching to hike as well and could only get down early Monday morning, I planned a short hike.

I had previously hiked Treadway in the Pharoah lakes wilderness area and really enjoyed it so suggested it to the rest of the gang.

Jay H, Swamp, Darl58 and Juniper had already hiked 7 4,000 footers the previous 2 days so a 5 or 6 mile round hike sounded perfect.
Freddy and Gail arrived and after waiting for us to pack up camp we arrived at the trailhead 2 hours later.
The day was cool but the wind had dropped from the previous day and it was just a little overcast.
At the trailhead I was given the usual tongue-lashing :( for my underestimation of the length of the trail. It turned out to be 3.8 miles to the summit, I think I said 3.7 or something like that ;)

Anyway to cut a long story short. It was a very nice hike with the 7 of us reaching the summit which was open and Rocky with nice views of the Green mountain chain and also a different view of the high peaks. It was very clear visibility with one beer each and a small camp chair which even joined Darl on her detour to some ocean or other. :confused:
Hopefully we'll have some pictures from the other hikers..... I won't hold my breath for Gail's though. :p

Phil, I have figured out that every mile that you say equals 2 real miles...that's okay. I know the translation between miles/kilometers/inches is difficult!! :rolleyes:

What a nice hike with lots of bang for the buck! :D

It was the perfect hike after hiking 2 days- Colvin/Blake/dix's (5)...my legs were in need of an easy hike. I did take along a blanket & chair for the summit...:p

With most of the hikers ready and many of them with time restrictions, we took off for the hike.

I love this picture of JayH...he's probably very thankfull to be done with spending a whole weekend with this group...

The views were amazing, but I was curious about seeing an "Ocean" in the middle of the ADK's///

So I ran/hiked out to check it out while the rest stayed behind and had a cold beer. It was worth the quick sidetrip...beautifull pond/lean-to and trail!
Not so sure I would call it an "Ocean"??????:confused:

A really fun group of friends on a nice short hike, perfect for Monday with a long drive home...

Lots of kidding Phl, but you do pick some very nice hikes!!:p

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/TreadwayMtADK101209?feat=directlink

Ocean... maybe millions of year's ago, although it is a great marketing ploy, kind of like Big Rosy Bone Knob. It surely attracts hikers to check it out. :D

Nice photos and a nice little mtn..

Jay

So I ran/hiked out to check it out while the rest stayed behind and had a cold beer. It was worth the quick sidetrip...beautifull pond/lean-to and trail!
Not so sure I would call it an "Ocean"??????:confused:
It was named in the same vein that the "Shorey Shortcut" was named.

There was this guy who fished there a lot. People laughed at him and said that he was fishing in his ocean.