Tripyramid - Whiteface - Passaconaway Loop - Sat. May 20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
Here's the rough plan:

Pine Bend Brook Tr -> North Tripy -> Mt Tripy Tr ->Kate Sleeper Tr -> Rollins Tr -> Passaconaway Tr back to the road. Roughly 16 miles.

I'm flexible on the start time as I'd likely be camping in the area the night before.

Let me know if you're interested.

-Shayne

Depending on weather (thunderstorms would be a problem, just plain rain definitely not a problem) I would be very interested in doing this. I could probably start by 8:30 but not much earlier.

gaiagirl said:
Depending on weather (thunderstorms would be a problem, just plain rain definitely not a problem) I would be very interested in doing this. I could probably start by 8:30 but not much earlier.

I'm feeling the same way about weather. If you don't mind hiking with a 2.5 year old Golden Retriever then it sounds like we have a plan. Would be great to have someone to spot a car with!

BTW, I'm thinking of camping out Saturday night and hiking The Hancocks or something else Sunday before driving back to Ottawa.

-Shayne

Might be in for joining you both, but like everyone else it is weather dependant. Rain- not an issue, thunderstorms - prudency says stay low. Pine bend may have some interesting crossings if water is high. I did the same loop a couple years back, it's a good one. I'd be willing to spot a car. Is Neal and the rest of the gang coming down as well?

dRitter said:
I'd be willing to spot a car. Is Neal and the rest of the gang coming down as well?

Paul will be at home and spending time with his wife this weekend, it's a long weekend up here in Canada (Victoria Day). I haven't heard from Neal in a while, was in MEC at lunch today but he wasn't working.

So far it sounds like we'll have 4 people plus the pooch, weather dependent. It's looking like showers only so i think I'm a go. I've been home way too many weekends lately.

So does 8:30am at the Pine Bend trailhead make sense to everybody? Is the trailhead obvious?

Does anybody know of a carwash I can take my dog through after this one? ;)

-Shayne

Trailhead is not obvious

Good question re is trailhead obvious ... AMC guide advises the trailheads are hard to find and furnishes directions to the trailhead for these hikes because they are located off twisty and windy 2-lane roads. For those w/o decent road maps it could be tricky getting to the trailhead on time ... best to allow extra time to locate it.

Jazzbo said:
Good question re is trailhead obvious ... AMC guide advises the trailheads are hard to find and furnishes directions to the trailhead for these hikes because they are located off twisty and windy 2-lane roads. For those w/o decent road maps it could be tricky getting to the trailhead on time ... best to allow extra time to locate it.

For those of you with a GPS the waypoint for the Pine Bend Trailhead is

UTM: 19T 306552E 4874884N (magnetic)
Long/Lat: 44.00162N 71.41289W

90% chance of showers for Saturday...

-Shayne

I should read these more carefully

Never mind my comment .... I just assumed you folks were hitting trail from the south because I just did Passaconaway from the south. Pine Bend Trail Head and Sabbaday are easy to find on Kanc. :D

Rain Rain Rain

There's a good chance I'll bail on this hike. Hard rain all day today and thunderstorms tonight won't make for a very good drive in, would probably be camping in a swamp.

Most of you said you were weather dependent and I don't really want to do the whole trip solo sopping wet.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
There's a good chance I'll bail on this hike. Hard rain all day today and thunderstorms tonight won't make for a very good drive in, would probably be camping in a swamp.

Most of you said you were weather dependent and I don't really want to do the whole trip solo sopping wet.

-Shayne

I would be interested in making the trip; rain does not bother me and I don’t think it will be that bad any way. I was planning on getting the cats this Saturday but the tri's are on the list I need to bag as well.

Drop me a note if you are still planning on going.

Brian

I'm still in if I hear back from anybody else. Will check the mail at 4 a.m. before heading up. If folks are game to tame the woods we can meet at Pine Bend trailhead on the Kanc at 8 a.m., and work out the logistics of dropping a car at Oliverian Brook. If I don't see any response I guess I'll head west for a quick jaunt up Monadnock or something near Kearsarge. Either way I need a fix, 2 weeks in the flatlands of Wisconsin has me aching for something with more vertical gain than a highway overpass :eek: