Tripyramid - Whiteface - Passaconaway Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
I've been itching to get on the trail and this weekend looks to be free for me.

I've been studying the maps and the loop i'm proposing seems to be about 13.5 miles with about 4800 feet of elevation gain.

Any comments on the Pine Bend Brook Tr versus the Sabbaday Brook Trail? Pine Bend looks shorter but steeper, and Sabbaday might be better if i have to walk the road back to the car.

I'd want to camp and I can see Big Rock Campground, Passaconaway Campground, and Jigger Johnson Campground on the map... Are these all open now? Pets allowed? Can I pull into them late on Friday night, hopefully before 11pm?

I'll be taking my retriever along on this one... If anybody else is interested let me know, I'll put it into the Trips & Events once I confirm it.

Thanks in advance,

Shayne

Check the mileage again... I think it's longer than 13.5 miles -- maybe 23.5 miles? Sabbaday has a lot of stream crossings which should be running quite high right now. You can bushwhack around some of them but even that might be tricky. Pine Bend Brook has a steep stection but overall it's not that bad! I imagine the falls on Sabbaday are pretty cool right now!!

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Check the mileage again... I think it's longer than 13.5 miles -- maybe 23.5 miles?

Hmmm.... I drew it out on TOPO, then doublechecked it with the AMC Map #3. The route I drew was: Pine Bend Brook Tr -> North Tripy -> Mt Tripy Tr ->Kate Sleeper Tr -> Rollins Tr -> Passaconaway TR back to the road. And it would be another 4 miles back on the road if I was solo. Does that seem right? I know you are much more familiar with the area then I am.

What are you doing this weekend? ;)

Kindest regards,
Shayne

spaddock said:
Hmmm.... I drew it out on TOPO, then doublechecked it with the AMC Map #3. The route I drew was: Pine Bend Brook Tr -> North Tripy -> Mt Tripy Tr ->Kate Sleeper Tr -> Rollins Tr -> Passaconaway TR back to the road. And it would be another 4 miles back on the road if I was solo. Does that seem right? I know you are much more familiar with the area then I am.
The map that has the mileage on it is at home so I don't know. Artex did a similar hike but in reverse. Looks like his was about 16.5 miles.

-Dr. Wu

Artex and I used the old Downes Brook/Passaconaway Slide Trail, which is IMHO the best route up/down Passaconaway. It's a steep one though!! :eek:

Sabbaday has at least one stream crossing that could be tough to cross this weekend.

Don't miss the short spur path to East Sleeper's true summit on your way by.

Stash a bicycle in the woods to save yourself the roadwalk.

Hancock Campground is open year-round. Here's a web page for the campgrounds you asked about:
http://www.campsnh.com/

Stinkyfeet said:
Artex and I used the old Downes Brook/Passaconaway Slide Trail, which is IMHO the best route up/down Passaconaway. It's a steep one though!! :eek:

OK, now you've peaked my curiosity. Is it easy to spot the turn off from Downes Brook trail? If you're saying it's the best way, then perhaps I would do the route in reverse as you guys did so the slide would be on the ascent. However, it's looking like rain for this weekend, how slippery would that slide be when wet? My pooch would be with me too, but he's a better climber than I am.

Anybody been around there recently? I'm assuming snow isn't too prevalent below 4000k, but would probably strap on my crampons just to be sure.

SLB, thanks for that campsite link. That's perfect!

-Shayne

Personally, if I were doing this loop with my dog I would go up the Pine Bend Brook Trail (shorter, easier, and less water crossings than Sabbaday), over the Sleepers to Whiteface, across the Rollins Trail to Passaconaway, and down via Square Ledge/Olverian Brook (The Olvarian Brook Trail is one of the nicest trails you will ever hike on). :)

Without the dog, then the Passaconaway slide would be the way to go (it is always wet and STEEP this time of year, and icy and STEEP during the cold weather months) :eek: . It is also easier to find on the descent rather than the ascent....

If you don't have a car spot, then just spot a bike if you have one. I find it refreshing to do a few miles on a bike after a long hike, though your dog might not think so... :D

Frodo said:
Personally, if I were doing this loop with my dog I would go up the Pine Bend Brook Trail (shorter, easier, and less water crossings than Sabbaday), over the Sleepers to Whiteface, across the Rollins Trail to Passaconaway, and down via Square Ledge/Olverian Brook (The Olvarian Brook Trail is one of the nicest trails you will ever hike on). :)
I've been up Square Ledge several times. IMO, might be a bit steep for a dog. But Oliverian Brk Tr from the ridge is very nice.

Doug

Stinkyfeet said:

I concur! Here's the trip report from that hike, if you care to give it a gander.

Pass-White-Tris last January

Best of luck.

Raymond - the slide is an unmaintained trail of sorts. Hikers had begun marking it, which upset the rangers since it's not an official trail. It's a similiar situation to the slide/trail going up Owl's Head.

Last edited: