Tuckerman Ravine, July 10, 2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
Saturday I slung my pack on my back and climbed to the base of the ravine for some mid-July turns. Weather was pleasantly cool but cloudy from Pinkham, though as we passed the upper cirque's terminal moraine we entered the clouds. Back at the corner of the headwall and the floor was the only snow left: two disjointed patches. The top patch was roughly 6 to 8' wide and about 20' long with suncups several inches deep, while the bottom patch was over 15' wide and 30' in length, slightly steeper and severely undermined, with an 8' drop off the end onto talus. I determined that the upper patch was safe to ski, but that the lower patch was sadly past its time.

Though it was early in the morning, no hikers passed as I clicked into the bindings -- they all stopped to watch the predicted carnage. The upper patch was generally soft corn, though there was a grayer 3'x3' area in the middle that had been wet and was icy. Though some estimated the pitch to be slightly over 45 degrees, I would say 40 degrees might be a better estimate. A successful run would involve stopping before the 3' drop onto talus.

In all, I made three runs: one straight-line and two with sloppy jump turns.

209PICT00091-med.JPG

209PICT0010e1-med.JPG

We then climbed to the summit through increasing rain and stiff winds. As we climbed back down the headwall, one of the many hikers to ask "You aren't skiing, are you?" (What's it look like, lady?) volunteered the additional information that after my ski runs, two kids had climbed onto the undermined lower arch causing its collapse.

Summary:
13.5 pounds of ski gear
8.4 miles round trip
4200' vertical ascent
60' vertical ski descent
Tuckerman Ravine, July 10, 2004

Bird Head

In the Pinkham parking lot, I saw a jeep with the BirdHead sticker on it.

209PICT00191.JPG

Guys, were you in my neck of the woods?

We sure were!

It was funny to see the jeep online! We were out doing the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah. You weren't out there skiing were you (;) ) That looked pretty insane. Keep up the death-defying stunts el-bagr! Rock on!
HEAD

BirdHead Studios