Tuckerman Ravine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
Still adding to my list of hiking trails for my September trip to the WMNF. Since I'm also going up to visit some family & friends in Lincoln I have only so many trails that I can visit in a 5 day period.

Among those I'm considering is Tuckerman's Ravine. I'm ashamed to say that all the hiking I've done in N.H. that I haven't done this one. However I'm sure many of you on this board have. From the several web pages I've visited this trail looks challenging enough but pretty wide and certainly well traveled enough through the years. Due to time constraints I won't be able to go to the summit, even though I'm certainly in good physical condition to do so. My plan is to hike up as for as HOJO's, take in some scenary, get some pics and hike back down. Does this sound like a good plan, considering some time constraints? would HOJO's be opened the second week of September? what exactly does HOJO's have? snacks? souveniers? given the fact that HOJO's is an elevation of 3,900 feet I imagine the views are pretty spectacular. From what I can see the Crystal Cascade looks like a nice spot.

Having been to N.H. many times I know the reputation of the weather on Mount Washington. Should I make some special provisions for that on the Tuckerman Ravine trail or would this be more of a consideration only if I were going to the summit? I've gotten some good information on this board in the past and appreciate it. I'd appreciate any info that could be passed to me on this one. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Crystal Cascades are 5 minutes from Pinkham. They're very nice, but it Sept they won't be spectacular due to low water levels.

HoJos doesn't have much going on, but I think you can buy t-shirts there. In summer it is about 1.5 hours from Pinkham, a very quick walk since the trail is almost road-like. The best views, and the true Tuckerman feeling, is further up the trail, about 30 minutes past HoJos when you get to the Ravine floor.

The trip up to Tucks is very easy and straightforward. You're in trees the whole way, on a wide, level trail. Even in the worst weather it wouldn't be a problem. The interesting stuff happens above Hojos.

Here's a trip report that might help show what to expect.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Crystal Cascades are 5 minutes from Pinkham. They're very nice, but it Sept they won't be spectacular due to low water levels.

HoJos doesn't have much going on, but I think you can buy t-shirts there. In summer it is about 1.5 hours from Pinkham, a very quick walk since the trail is almost road-like. The best views, and the true Tuckerman feeling, is further up the trail, about 30 minutes past HoJos when you get to the Ravine floor.

The trip up to Tucks is very easy and straightforward. You're in trees the whole way, on a wide, level trail. Even in the worst weather it wouldn't be a problem. The interesting stuff happens above Hojos.

Here's a trip report that might help show what to expect.

-dave-

WOW! great trip report Dave. Nice job on the web page and I like the way you did the links. The photos are incredible. Looks like Tuckerman gets added to my list.

As I stated previously I will have some time restrictions, however I think I'll take the extra 30 minutes to go further up past HOJO's so I can at least get to the Ravine floor. From what you've posted it looks to me like it'll well be worth setting aside the extra half-hour. Thank You. :)

Last edited:
nflpats1 said:
You could also go all the way to the summit and take a shuttle bus back to pinkham.
Not easily or reliably. The Auto Road Stage will not guarentee a trip down for hikers unless you purchase a ticket. And even then, you'll end up at the Auto Road and not at Pinkham, there's no guarenteed link between them.

-dave-

WhiteMTHike said:
As I stated previously I will have some time restrictions, however I think I'll take the extra 30 minutes to go further up past HOJO's so I can at least get to the Ravine floor. From what you've posted it looks to me like it'll well be worth setting aside the extra half-hour. Thank You. :)

And once you get to the floor of the ravine you'll take a look around and just HAVE to get up on the ridgeline... :) :) :) It's worth the next 30 minutes! Then you could come back down LionHead which has it's own beautiful views and interesting climb and shouldn't take very long.

David Metsky said:
Not easily or reliably. The Auto Road Stage will not guarentee a trip down for hikers unless you purchase a ticket. And even then, you'll end up at the Auto Road and not at Pinkham, there's no guarenteed link between them.

-dave-

actually, you can ask them to drive you to pinkham. I did this last labor day after going up huntington. we started off way late and took muuuuch longer than anticipated and still had to drive back to montreal that evening. so once we got to the top, we bought 2 tickets and the driver drove us to pinkham. maybe it was because we asked? not too sure.

anita514 said:
I'm embarassed about it :(
Don't be, it's what you needed to do at the time.

You can't guarentee that the drivers will take you to Pinkham, although I know others have gotten the service as well. You also can't guarentee any open spots in a particular stage so you might have to wait a while before you get a ride down. If you have time pressures, I wouldn't count on it.

-dave-

WhiteMtHike,

Can't you get up to the mountains before September, even for a weekend?

You can cruise up on a Friday night, car-camp, then hike on Saturday, and drive back to RI by midnight. I think you need it! :)

Anyway, for your September list of possible hikes, you might consider Caps Ridge to Mt Jefferson and Edmunds Path to the Southern Presidentials.

Go for it!

Yes I do need it. As much as I'd like to head up sooner than September, with my schedule it's a little tough. I'm also trying to get over some recent health problems which have sidelined me for a bit. I'm at least fortunate enough to be able to get up for a week in September. Hopefully I'll be 100% healthy by then. I don't like the idea of driving for 3 hours after a full day of hiking; the "Z monster" would start to creep up on me as I'm driving home.

Once I start to recover I'll just warmup on the R.I. trails while continuing to do more detailed planning for my trip to the WMNF. A co-worker of mine also recommended the Mt. Jefferson caps. That's another one I'll consider. Thanks for your input. :)

Last edited:
WhiteMTHike said:
Once I start to recover I'll just warmup on the R.I. trails while continuing to do more detailed planning for my trip to the WMNF. A co-worker of mine also recommended the Mt. Jefferson caps. That's another one I'll consider. Thanks for your input. :)

I would second Dave's comment...of the 25-30 routes I have done in the Whites the Ridge of the Caps has been one of my favorites. Challenging, but not killer. The loop back around through the Monticello Lawn is great and you cannot beat the views on the backside of Jefferson into the Great Gulf and over towards Edmands Col and Adams. I cannot wait to get back there!

Thanks all for your contributions to my thread. Again I'm glad I found this board and I consider it to be a top-notch place for information. You can read all the hiking books in the world to get information but nothing compares to hearing from actual hikers who've experienced the trails.

Dave, I LOVE your trip reports you do such a nice job with the links. If you don't mind my asking (and I don't mean to get off topic) do you use DREAMWEAVER MX as an editor for creating your web pages?

Anyway, I'm already looking into an additional trip to the WMNF for a weekend in October (NOT Columbus Day weekend) to do some of these trails. So many good trails, so little time. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
caps ridge trail is a lot of fun!
but whatever you do, don't go down the castellated ridge to the link. the link is terrible.

and dave, I've been checking your site for a couple years now for info on the whites. it's been a terrific resource!