Tuckermans this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Structure

Reaction score
Hey was looking for some different points of views from you guys again.

I am taking a group from my Outing club to Tuckermans this sat morning. I understand that there is going to be wet, cold and windy temps but i had already planned for that. Any suggestions on trails, or tips, comments. Thanks for things.

If you are taking a group, your best bet in and out of Hermit Lake is to stick to the Tuckerman Ravine trail.

From there, you can take 3 different side trips.
1) Boott Spur Cut Off to the Boott Spur ridge
2) Lion Head Trail to the other ridge
3) Tuckerman Ravine trail into Tucks itself.

Personally, I wouldn't be up to taking a group up on to the summits on Saturday, given the forecast, especially Washington where you need to spend so much time above treeline. I would expect the weather to close in on Saturday.

A more reasonable goal might be to just stick your noses to treeline on either Boott Spur or Lion Head but resist the urge to head to the summit.

I'm a wimp when it comes to dealing with groups though. I find when you have an outing club type trip, you have a least 2 groups: the hard chargers who will go the summit no matter what you say and the laggers who are suffering by 10 am. This is exactly the kind of weekend when both of those groups could get into trouble. Worse when they are trying to travel together.

I second that!
I would also suggest staying off the summits Saturday . It doesn't look good. Conditions this time of year always seem to prove deadly. :(

Last edited:
dave.m said:
From there, you can take 3 different side trips.
1) Boott Spur Cut Off to the Boott Spur ridge
Boott Spur itself is very exposed. The Boott Spur Link Trail (not Cutoff, I think :confused: ) and Boott Spur Trail would form a loop, you'll still be somewhere above treeline for about 1km. Less than a Tuckerman Ravine / Lion Head loop, but I still wouldn't want to be up there on a day with possible nasty forecast this time of year.

Thanks everyone for the advice and guidance. I am planning on still seeing how the weather turns out at Hermit Lake and deciding from there but more than likely we will do the boot spur trail loop or just hang out at Hermit Lake. Thanks again and hope to see you all soon

Some brave folks did summit Washington today, and were very happy to find the Summit Stage office open and operating.

That was not the case yesterday ( Friday) and very likely will not be the case tomorrow, with higher summit temps forecast in the 20's, snow showers, and winds 75 to 100 mph with higher gusts, possible icing from overnight sleet as the cold front arrives.. not a pretty picture.

I KNOW everyone checks the weather and NO ONE depends on a ride-down ( hmmm) but please take this as a friendly heads up that you can't count on someone meeting you at the summit of Washington with a car, or for there to be any other way down but on foot.

Breeze