Tuesday nites Carabiner's Rock Gym, New Bedford, MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Yes, that's right, New Bedford, MA, home of Moby Dick is also home to a rock gym. Well, it is actually home to one of the biggest rock gyms in the country - Carabiner's.

32,600 sq ft of climbing
65' high main walls
overhanging roofs, cracks, and some very cool stalactites
112 top rope stations

If you haven't checked out the photo gallery on their website, you should really take a look at it.

Carmel and I have been going to Carabiner's on weekends and also have been taking advantage of their Tuesday nite 2 for 1 special deal.

Info:

Tuesday nite at Carabiners Rock Gym (New Bedford) is 2 for 1 prices from 5PM
til 11PM.

http://www.carabiners.com/

Normal rate is $19 including gear. So it will be $9.50 each.

You can also buy discounted passes in sets of 10 for $120, which (heavy math) is $12 a visit. So you can use those passes on Tuesday nite to get 2 people in for $12 which is (heavy math) only $6 each.

$6 for a nite of climbing in a world class gym is tough to beat.

Other weekday nite specials are:
Monday: RI residents 1/2 price
Tues: 2 for 1
Wed: College ID $9, free pizza
Thurs: Ladies nite, ladies 1/2 price
Fri: bouldering only pass $5

Tuesday nite has turned into the standard night for Carmel and I and some of our friends. We get there between 5 and 5:30.

We'd like to throw out the open invite to join us on Tuesday nites if any of you SE New Englander / Boston area people want to make the drive down.

We have also been going on some Saturdays, but that is more hit and miss.

Contact me or Carmel or post here if you want to get on the weekly email list for the tuesday nite climbing.

Aloha

- darren

One thing to note is that they require use of Gri-gris (provided on all their topropes) - no ATCs allowed. If you're used to ATCs, the transition can actually be dangerous (let GO of the lever to catch someone?), and for lead climbing, using Gri-gris to belay a leader is inherently more difficult (it's hard to give slack quickly for clipping). But it's a really cool space - huge height, several cracks, some interesting chimneys and caves (consider bringing a headlamp- seriously) high up the walls. And they have their own system for labeling routes, which I actually like but will take a little getting used to.

Darren,
Add me to your list.

Sounds awesome! Oh, and thursdays are an option as well for us ladies I see.

Hm, Nartreb, you can wear your sequined halter top :)

That place is great! i haven't been there in a while and would love to join in and get some climbing in...

Bump. Just a reminder about tuesday nites at Carabiners rock gym.

We've been having a good crew going every tuesday nite. Hopefully some more members can make it there.

Aloha,

- darren