Tuesdays with Moriah -- 1/27/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Coming off a great hike on Monday and a good night's rest at Hiker's Paradise, I decided to try my fortunes again yesterday.

After fueling up with a big breakfast at Welsh's, I headed over to the Carter-Moriah trailhead and once again got a 10am start. I seemed slow out of the gate frequently stopping to adjust layers. I guess I ate a little too much and it made me somewhat lethargic.

A little ways in, I hit my stride and found that I was moving about as well as I was the day before. I wrote the number of hours in (1, 1.5, 2...) in the snow so I'd have a fair idea of my time on the way out.

I had been a little nervous about the slabs near the summit of Mt Surprise because when I did Moriah in winter before, it was March and it was all hard ice and necessitated crampons. I had opted to leave my crampons behind and try my luck in my MSRs.

It turned out that the slabs were loaded with snow and going up them proved to be a non-issue. About 20min from the summit of Moriah, I ran into the only people I'd see all day. We chatted for a little bit before parting ways. It was much too cold to stay stopped for too long.

At the summit it was very cold and a bit windy. Still, I took in the view for all that it was worth and snapped a few good pics. You can see that the sky was very interesting.

The way down was fast and fun. I glissaded on a couple parts and jogged on a couple more. Initially, I had been hoping to get down by 5pm, but I wound up getting back to the car by 3:30pm. Again, a very successful day for a guy with a cold and not a ton of recent experience. I was glad to get out and enjoy a well broken trail during the calm before the storm. This trip will be a bit more difficult after this storm since many areas are not well blazed and without the broken track, it may be difficult to follow. Best of luck!

Here are pics. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569826972LpNmLI?vhost=good-times