Twins and Galehead I need some help!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm planning to hike the Twins and Galehead on Saturday. I'd really like to hike via the North Twin Trail, head over to North Twin, then South Twin then Galehead and back the same route.

The map shows Haystack Rd off Rt. 3... Does any know if this road is open in winter to the parking lot for the trailhead?

A sense of direction is something I lack. Could really use some help with which trail to take and how to get there.

Thanks.

not sure but....

Donna -

Not 100 % sure on this one (but I am sure someone else will be) but I have never noticed any guide books or web pages mentioning that Haystack Road is closed in the winter.

Good luck!

Haystack Road is most definitely closed in the winter.

The route you're thinking of doing has a LOT of excess climbing. It's 1000' straight up South Twin from Galehead Hut.

If you're going up-and-back, go up from the Galehead side of things. I believe the usual route is to go in from the Beaver Brook wayside area, cutting through the xc ski trails, coming out on Gale River Road to the Gale River Trail.

Last edited:
donna said:
Hey all,
I'm planning to hike the Twins and Galehead on Saturday. I'd really like to hike via the North Twin Trail, head over to North Twin, then South Twin then Galehead and back the same route.
Yikes, then you have to go back up South Twin after doing Galehead. That's a lot of extra elevation! Wouldn't it be easier to go in on the Gale River Trail and then up S. Twin & hit N. Twin and go back?

-Dr. Wu

road closed!

Note only is Haystack Rd closed, most maps don't show it (or other nearby roads) accurately. There's an easy bushwhack from Little River Rd, look for a couple of threads in Q&A at least a month ago for details. Still makes for a long hike.