Two Almost-Ski Area Hikes (NH), 07/30/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
There was a NELSAP lecture about the lost ski areas of the White Mountains - considering it was my favorite four letter word (free), why not? On the way to it, I figured I'd do a ski area themed hike or set of hikes - Mt. Agassiz and Prospect Mountain were on my radar.

Arriving in Bethlehem, I saw 1HappyHonda pull into the Irving station parking lot. Sure enough, it was 1HappyHiker!

Our destination was Mt. Agassiz. Mt. Agassiz was once home to a small ski area. In addition, a much larger development was proposed in the 1960s, including a monorail - for skier use! Like the monorail proposal at Attitash, this plan never got off the ground.

Since we didn't have too much time, we decided to hike the auto road rather than visit the old ski area.

The auto road up Mt. Agassiz was a bit dull scenerywise. 1HastyHiker and I made pretty good time up to the summit.
nelsapesque01.jpg

We saw a few sets of these flowers (or as 1HappyBotanist said, "weeds") along the way:
nelsapesque02.jpg

The summit vista:
nelsapesque03.jpg

My next stop was Prospect Mountain in Lancaster. Pressed for time, I decided to bypass a visit to the ski area and instead hike up the autoroad and recently brushed power line.

The power line cut was pretty steep:
nelsapesque04.jpg

At one point, quasi-scrambling, I forgot to look up and almost hit my head on a utility line:
nelsapesque05.jpg

The fire tower on the summit reminds me of the one on Massaemet Mountain in Western Massachusetts:
nelsapesque06.jpg

There were excellent views of the Kilkenny peaks from the tower:
nelsapesque07.jpg

After hiking down, I drove back up to the summit and was part of a large crowd at the NELSAP presentation. I believe I was perhaps a bit younger than most of the crowd:
nelsapesque08.jpg

The presentation ended just before the sunset:
nelsapesque09.jpg

After hiking down, I drove back up to the summit and was part of a large crowd at the NELSAP presentation. I believe I was perhaps a bit younger than most of the crowd.

It's great to be able to be nostalgic about places you never knew!

In truth, NELSAP is a fertile field for interesting semi-whacks, all over New England.

Looks like the summit views and the awesome sunset were worth the somewhat boring hike up/down. Every hike has its good points! Was nice hanging out with you guys last Saturday night at Moose Brook.

Happy hiking...

We saw a few sets of these flowers (or as 1HappyBotanist said, "weeds") along the way:
nelsapesque02.jpg
1HappyBotanist’s better-half has identified the “weed” as a Small Purple Fringed Orchis (Habenaria psycodes), which is a verdict with which I dare not argue;) . . . (but others can feel free to do so!)

Last edited:
I wouldn't argue with anyone's better half, other than to state that the genus Habenaria is now called Platanthera.
Ski area, lost and otherwise, are great places for finding flowers. Wildcat Mountain in July is outstanding. One of the trails is covered with bog orchids, another has huge mats of bunchberries.

Mt. Agassiz was once home to a small ski area. In addition, a much larger development was proposed in the 1960s, including a monorail - for skier use! Like the monorail proposal at Attitash, this plan never got off the ground.

Actually, the Attitash monorail project "got off the ground" a little bit. :)

http://www.skimuseum.org/page.php?cid=galimg21

Sorry, that I missed this presentation, but I suspect that it will come around again?

Nice photos!

Actually, the Attitash monorail project "got off the ground" a little bit. :)

True, true...everyone was trying to one up the Skimobile :)

Sorry, that I missed this presentation, but I suspect that it will come around again?

I'm not sure...Jeremy (NELSAP) has done I think half a dozen of these talks in NH in the past year...I'm not sure when the focus will shift to the next NELSAP book (the next state has not yet been determined).

A visit to the Weeks estate for the weekly talks is worth it even if someone isnt interested in the topic of the week as it appears as it is the only normal time that the road to the summit is open after sunset. The views to the east and west from the tower as well as the second floor of the Weeks house are hard to beat. A good way to spend a nice evening if you are staying in the area.