Two "Lost" Trails Found

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
This month's issue of Backpacker has a story about 8 "lost" trails, two of which are here in New England. The Adams Slide Trail, and the North Slide Trail on OJI are featured, thanks to Michael Lanza no doubt. Be ready for lots of company on these "lost" trails in the future.

Great, thanks Backpacker. Do they give out some of those stupid GPS cards in the issue?

Jerks

giggy said:
thanks for the heads up dms.

adams slide is "kind of" well known though isn't it?
I know... it's a mess too, from what I know. I think there will be a lot of morons trying to find it and getting lost in the woods.

I expect less company on the trail and more rescues from people getting lost if anything. Stupid Backpacker. I hate that magazine.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I know... it's a mess too, from what I know. I think there will be a lot of morons trying to find it and getting lost in the woods.

I expect less company on the trail and more rescues from people getting lost if anything. Stupid Backpacker. I hate that magazine.

-Dr. Wu

I really wouldn't sweat it - not that many actually (relatively speaking) venture into the gulf for the "easy" trails in there. though none are 'easy" per se. I mean what is it, about a 6 miles approach before you even get to the old trail? Thats a turn off for most.

giggy said:
I really wouldn't sweat it - not that many actually (relatively speaking) venture into the gulf for the "easy" trails in there. though none are 'easy" per se. I mean what is it, about a 6 miles approach before you even get to the old trail? Thats a turn off for most.

Giggy, the article suggests doing it from the top down. The top of the trail is very easy to spot from the Star Lake Trail, it's only about .1 mi. from the summit. It's all very simple until you get into the trees.

dms said:
Giggy, the article suggests doing it from the top down. The top of the trail is very easy to spot from the Star Lake Trail, it's only about .1 mi. from the summit. It's all very simple until you get into the trees.
Oh, even better -- tell 'em to take the easy way and then end up lost in the Great Gulf. Haha. Stupid Backpaker Rag.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Oh, even better -- tell 'em to take the easy way and then end up lost in the Great Gulf. Haha. Stupid Backpaker Rag.

-Dr. Wu

I think you're being a bit harsh, Wu. I haven't done this trail yet, but I would think that anyone sincerely interested in trying it would do a bit of research first, and have a bit more experience than your average rescue candidate. They would most likely bring a map, and be looking for signs of the old trail like old cairns and a worn-in path. It generally follows the slide, so it might be difficult to get too lost since it is so steep and narrow.

Maybe the article is detailed enough to help one find and follow the trail? You don't find yourself at Star Lake or six miles into the Great Gulf Wilderness without some modicum of hiking awareness and common sense.

How many rescues have been needed as a result of Backpacker's recent publicity of the Devil's Path and the Pemi Loop as "America's most difficult dayhikes"?

albee said:
I think you're being a bit harsh, Wu. I haven't done this trail yet, but I would think that anyone sincerely interested in trying it would do a bit of research first, and have a bit more experience than your average rescue candidate. They would most likely bring a map, and be looking for signs of the old trail like old cairns and a worn-in path. It generally follows the slide, so it might be difficult to get too lost since it is so steep and narrow.

Maybe the article is detailed enough to help one find and follow the trail? You don't find yourself at Star Lake or six miles into the Great Gulf Wilderness without some modicum of hiking awareness and common sense.

How many rescues have been needed as a result of Backpacker's recent publicity of the Devil's Path and the Pemi Loop as "America's most difficult dayhikes"?

Actually, I think since this mag is read by more of the general populace, I think it does open up the can of worms for the yahoos. Traffic does increase after these hikes get posted. I saw a huge spike in the Kilkenny immediately following an article, and it lasted for a few months before settling a bit.

Yahoos in the Kilkenny Range? Geez, so that is why there were so many rescues up there.... wait, what rescues?

Nobody said that publicity wouldn't directly affect trail usage. I simply stated that it isn't going to automatically cause amateurs to bumble their way up there and mess it up for *all us experts*. ;)

How could you hate Backpacker magazine? I look forward to getting mine in the mailbox and wish it could come more often. Geez lets see, it's about hiking, lots of articles and tips on hiking smarter and safer, gear guide issues to help find new gadgets and better gear, tips on survival and preparation, yeah thats awful.
Chris

I think Backpacker is geared towards the beginner. Most of the articles they have are recycled year after year. It's mostly ads besides.

I just think trails like Adams Slide can't support a lot of traffic and people will put flagging up and stuff like that.

albee said:
Yahoos in the Kilkenny Range? Geez, so that is why there were so many rescues up there.... wait, what rescues?

Nobody said that publicity wouldn't directly affect trail usage. I simply stated that it isn't going to automatically cause amateurs to bumble their way up there and mess it up for *all us experts*. ;)

So nobody gets rescued, so that means there are no yahoos?

And I stated the traffic increased, not the yahoos. :cool:

dms said:
The Adams Slide Trail, and the North Slide Trail on OJI are featured
Trails become "lost" for a variety of reasons, and I would say that whether to publicize them might depend on why they became lost in the first place. OJI North was I believe closed for safety reasons hence probably doesn't belong in a popular magazine such as Backpacker. Some trails near Lakes Hut were closed/rerouted to protect rare plants and also are best forgotten. Trails like Hale Firewardens and Little Deception which were shed due to general downsizing and that present few safety or resource issues would seem more appropriate.

RoySwkr said:
Trails become "lost" for a variety of reasons, and I would say that whether to publicize them might depend on why they became lost in the first place.
Agreed!

I think some lost trails should stay lost.

I've heard the Adams Slide Trail was closed because the Forest Service was tired of rebuilding the cairns every Spring after the avalanches had knocked them down....ironically the cairns are about all that remains of this trail. I've climbed this trail twice. It's about the steepest densest bushwhack I've ever done.

Tom Rankin said:
I think some lost trails should stay lost.

Agreed! And even calling them "lost" is misleading, since it implies that these trails would/should still be open if not for some oversight or neglect. While in reality, many of the trails were deliberately "closed" for safety or environmental reasons. I guess the Backpacker cover story wouldn't have been quite so appealing if it was more accurately entitled "Closed Trails".

It is such a shame that Baxter personnel react that way. We climbed the South Brother Slide (Marston?) trail and the OJI North Slide trail back in the mid-eighties. Sure, you had to be careful...I'm surprised that the Pamola end of the Knife Edge is still open.

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I've heard the Adams Slide Trail was closed because the Forest Service was tired of rebuilding the cairns every Spring after the avalanches had knocked them down

There was a time when the FS closed many slide trails over erosion concerns. Adams Slide was one of them. I like your explanation better, though!

I find it strange that Backpacker would recommend *descending* an abandoned slide trail, especially one this steep and rough. Plus hikers will miss out on most of the fun of taking a slide trail in the first place - scrambling your way up the peak. At least an ascent presents plenty of red flags for the unprepared: 1) long walk-in to the start of the trail, 2) discourages those who can't locate the start of the trail from continuing, and 3) convinces the unprepared to turn back when it gets too steep or rough. Once on the descent, most people won't want to turn back uphill if they lose the route or find the going is too tough and may continue into greater danger.