Two Weeks Vacation -- From Hiking!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I generally hike every weekend -- sometimes 2 or 3 times a weekend (I get every-other friday off :cool: ) and I think I've gone every weekend so far this year. This morning I was all set to go to The Bonds. I can't say I was super-enthusiastic about this hike, I just kind of picked the Bonds and also, after last sunday's hike I've been feeling kind of creaky. I've got a nagging calf injury that only seems to be getting worse and I was so burnt out that when I actually got to the gym this week, I could barely muster a few minutes of doing anything. So, this morning I was ready to roll at 3am and I started having second thoughts -- 23 miles on the trail (with a calf injury), possible rain in the forecast, probably won't see a soul all day, hmmm... So I exercised me "Week off from Hiking" quotient and went back to bed.

When I woke up I felt bummed & disappointed. I'm sure my calf injury would go away once I warm up on the trail, I said. I betcha it's gonna be sunny today, I said. I just wasted a day off, I said. Perhaps it could be better spent going for a long workout at the gym or *gasp* doing some cleaning in my apt. Or letting my stupid calf heal, I mean I've been pretty gimpy these days.

So, how about all you hikers out there -- ever have days where your pack is ready, you're ready, all set to go and you're just like, No. Not this weekend -- the weather's gonna be mean, it's time to chill out. I find that taking a little time off too gives you a better appreciation for what you've missed. How do other people handle this scenario?

-Dr. Wu

wet & cold sucks

yep - esp this weekend - nothing worse than hiking in downpours. I don't mind being wet or cold - but wet and cold is the worst.

for me - this weekend would not be enjoyable. rest that injury.

I usually end up taking most of April/May off since that is the Spring rugby season and I play most Saturday's. We try to start up again around Memorial Day. This year, because of a ref shortage, many of our games may be switched to Fri. Night which may open upsome weekends for hiking.

I often pack and am ready the night before, and just as often find I have a hard time sleeping especially if I am meeting others to hike with. So I benefit sometimes by not having plans as I don’t have to be on the road by a given time and can change where I’m going. On a couple occasions I just didn’t go. Did I regret it? Sure, but sometimes I was glad after reading a few trail reports. But I also benefit by having plans with others, because I’m not the type to just not show up, so I go and never have regretted it.

Would I have done the Bonds, solo, today? Very unlikely. But I’ll find something fun to hike.
:D

Whatever the weather, I make time to get outside even if it's only an hour or two. I'm lucky enough to live close to many places to take a short hike in the woods or along some ridge. Part of the "outdoor experience" is being there even though it's not sunny and clear. And often I'll see things on the shorter hike that I would have passed by on a longer one where I'm being more focused on the mountaintop/destination.
Injuries are a whole other deal - use the weather as an excuse and heal up - as I get older this is a big must!

newjeep123 said:
Part of the "outdoor experience" is being there even though it's not sunny and clear.
I enjoy hiking in "bad" weather -- some of my best experiences hiking say, Washington, have been in bad weather. Sometimes it's so beautiful. I don't mind rain either. Flooding on the other hand is different... there's a reason I don't simply walk up a river when I hike.

One of the great things about the mountains is it's many moods and this is seasons and it's also weather and I like to experience both. But some stuff seems foolish like Washington during a 200mph storm or hiking on top of a Volcano when it's about to erupt or hopping on a bear for a "horsey-ride". That's where I draw the line.

Carole said:
But I also benefit by having plans with others, because I’m not the type to just not show up, so I go and never have regretted it.
Had someone answered my post for The Bonds today I'd have been there in a heartbeat!!

-Dr. Wu

If my pack is packed then I'm going! Not sure what I'll do this weekend as the weather is looking quite grim!

-MEB

usually this time of year = mud season in the peaks so i don't hit those trails at all... from now until mid-late june it's going to be fire towers and once the weather gets warm it will be paddeling!!!

so yeah, i do get those times when hiking will be on the back burner.. it usually strikes around this time of year because of depression casued by NO MORE SNOW...BUT once the weather gets that warm feel in the air things turn around quickly

Having just come back from kayaking in the Bahamas,it took a lot to get back into "snow mode" for this weekend. With a monsoon forecast for the weekend,I just can't motivate myself-or my wife-to hike into Carter Notch.
This is that time or year that we're torn between backpacking and kayaking.

Last May sarah and I were ready to go hike waumbek. When we woke up at 6 am all we heard was torrential rain outside. We both groanded and went back to bed. When we woke up again at say... 11am.. hehe.. the sun was out and it was a gorgeous clear day. We looked at each other once and before you know it.. we were driving to waumbek at Noon. We made it to the trail head for 2 and we were up and down that thing by 6:30. Even though it was clear down here... it was gloomy up there but we enjoyed ourseleves still.

I am have having a hard decision to not hike saturday. I wanted to do the Moose but I may switch to Monadnock for some running.. or then again.. nothing at all with the talk of T-storms now. Bailing on plans is the WORST decision I have to make. I hate it.

Let’s see, wifey is sick with the flu, the weather forecast is calling for rain, I do not want to stay in CT for the weekend, so what to do? I can either ski in the rain, do trail maintenance on my trail, or clean out my gear closet? Whatever I decide to do, I will at least be in NH for the weekend, so that’s something.

Dr Wu

I feel your pain.

PRESCRIPTIONS FOR A RAINING WEEKEND
-Late morning breakfast with wife or significant other.
-Catch a movie matinee.
-Go to a good Irish pub for a pint or two.
-Find a club with some live jazz and sip on a scotch.

I usually have a really hard time deciding not to go. Sometimes I decide not to go if the weather is bad AND I haven't spent much time just hanging out with my husband for a while, or the weather is bad AND I have a ton of housework to do, or the weather is bad AND I'm super tired. I don't usually give up just because of the weather - like many of us, I love a wild, windy rainy day. Since the housework and being super tired happen all the time, I usually don't let them stop me either. If I ever decide not to go, I have to make sure I hike very soon afterwards, because I'm one of those people who, if I plan it, I get frustrated if I can't do it. I don't hike every weekend like some people do - too many other obligations (including housework - any other hikers out there who find this particular part of life simply an irksome barrier to outdoor pursuits?), but I keep myself sane by making sure I get out about every other weekend, and for a nice long solo about once a month.

I find it pretty simple: Hiking is for fun. When hiking is not fun, I don't go hiking.

Some days, "fun" might mean getting two hours of sleep and then walking many miles in a cold, heavy rain. Other days, that's "not fun." Seems kind of counterproductive to get all bent out of shape about your fun time.

What about when the opposite happens? You think about not going but decide to go and then realize why you shouldn't have! I woke up one morning and just couldn't get my sh#% together. Burned breakfast, flooded the coffe pot and said "self! what's going on? maybe you should just stay home, it's cold, rainy and you can't get out of your own way" But then the hiking bug replied "but think about what you might miss out on? Just do it" So I went. Halfway up the mountain I got SICK :eek: . Explosively sick...(I'll leave the graphic details out :eek: ). Managed to hit the summit :) and get back down, nearly crawling. Got in my car and started the ride home. Halfway there, the car died. Had to walk down the road to a house, bang on their door and ask if they could recommend a local tow truck. Tow truck shows up, gives smelly dirty me a ride to the closest town to a payphone. I call my son and ask for a rescue. Then I start walking on the road...mile after mile...cursing my son. Eventually I come up on him on the side of the road. His car died! Altogether my single most expensive hike to date! Wow, did I wish I'd stayed home!

Dr. Wu,
Your first post rings of classic over-training in any athlete. In the annual cycle runners are well advised to take a week or two off here and there in order to let all those nicks and dents heal and to let their natural desire to rise to the surface again. Take a breather, give that calf muscle time to heal itself properly then get back out there!

It is only natural to need a break from any activity from time to time. To rest, to restrengthen, to do something different. Once in awhile I will be all packed the night before...ready to go ...and I just cannot motivate myself out the door at 4am for a nearly three hour drive...probably comes from too many days of getting up that early for work. I guess that I am lucky that feel like I have slept in if I get up after 6am.

dr_wu002 said:
I enjoy hiking in "bad" weather -- some of my best experiences hiking say, Washington, have been in bad weather. Sometimes it's so beautiful. I don't mind rain either. Flooding on the other hand is different... there's a reason I don't simply walk up a river when I hike.

One of the great things about the mountains is it's many moods and this is seasons and it's also weather and I like to experience both. But some stuff seems foolish like Washington during a 200mph storm or hiking on top of a Volcano when it's about to erupt or hopping on a bear for a "horsey-ride". That's where I draw the line.

Had someone answered my post for The Bonds today I'd have been there in a heartbeat!!

-Dr. Wu

Had I been on line and seen It I would have thought about going . Mayey it is a good thing Give you calf a rest hopefully next week will bring better weather.
I have been wanting ot od the Bonds or At least Bond and Bond cliff. I had surgerey in December so i missed a whole month and a half as i di not get out untill mid January. . I had to start real easy .

Yes a good weekend to check the gear and maybe check out some new poles,all from the comfort of home. There is always next week and I have a weeks vacation coming at the end of this month.
RELAX :)

weather

New England weather is not very good. When I arrived out west I couldnt believe the difference. I spent my first summer in Yosemite/Sierra's and it didnt rain for the first 25 days!!!!!!! Now in Colorado we get 310 days of sun a year, we get quick moving storms in the afternoons that can be vicious but they blow out rather quickly and by then we are down anyway.
My family keeps asking why Im not back in NH yet, the weather is one of the main reasons, rain, rain, rain, Ive hiked enough in the rain personally to last me a lifetime, I think in NH we do it out of nessesity, give my a bluebird day any day, Im like a plant the more sun, the better I feel. :D