Ultimate Ridgewalk to Share with Family FRT 7-18-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Old news already but worthy of sharing. Last Sunday was important to me because it earmarks the day I got back into hiking 4Ks three years ago. I had hiked up Liberty Spring Trail with the whole family and they reached the spring and tentsite. I knew Liberty was a short distance around the corner even though I had not set foot on her since freshman year in highschool about thirty years earlier! No one wanted to proceed but they would stick together on the trail out. I continued on and hiked the whole ridge making calls to let them know I was okay. Once again the freedom of the mountains took hold of my heart and released me from years of longing the loss of a younger brother I had hiked with before he passed. The mountains have come to soothe any anguish and cares I have away.

On this journey I was overjoyed with being able to share it not only with my long time friend and sister-in-law Sunshine Chris, but also my terrific daughter Kimberly!:D She had had already hiked Katahdin with Chris in June and is quickly being afflicted with my addiction. I had hiked Whiteface during late hours with her the day before but woke up eager to hike. Our plan was to hike the whole ridge but just in case we spotted an additional car at the Basin before heading up Old Bridle Path.

Kim fortunately does not have her dad's build and was undaunted by the Agonies. It was great to see the glow on her face as she looked up across at the peaks.She looked up Lincoln's Throat and said "Dad people climb that don't they"! I believe I replied correctly when I said "Only in the winter with gear and training"! She thought that was awesome. I asked if she was really interested in hiking and when she said yes I told her the Gregory pack I had lent her was hers "No Strings attached"! My favorite but an important start for her to have one that is good for her back.

In a short time we were at the hut enjoying a snack, the different people and their pets, and the views. Kim pointed out a unique game of Croquet the croo had been playing out behind the hut. Even had a mallet handmade from birch! Liked the way they played the enviroment, rocks and all! We climbed Lafayette and there Kim would get the sense of vast size of the Pemi and look down the narrow Franconia Ridge. Saw alot of people on the ridge all day including the "Cheerleader" in white tennis shoes and dressed like she walked off Park Avenue. Kim knew every brand she wore and said it was very expensive gear. We had all had a good laugh when she asked if someone had anything to wipe a little mud off the tennis shoes at the hut!:rolleyes:

A brief stop at Lincoln's Thumb which I had in correctly been calling the "Pillar" and some silly photo ops pretending to push it over. Then on to a sweet spot for a long leisurely lunch. Liberty and Flume looked very distant but each would soon be under our feet and well before sundown. I did some more recon photos for a whack off the ridge to Owlie at a later date and we were still heading off Flume by 5:00. It felt good to see Osseo Trail in the daylight and still feel like there was plenty left. Kim was still ready for plenty more and would run down stretches of the trail and wait for us. I didn't mind her dusting me in the woods because I had finally been given a chance to show her the ridge. Flume is #10 for Kimberly and she told me this week not to feel bad about the pack because I will get to see it disappearing down the trail in front of me on our future hikes!:eek:

Chris, thanks so much for spending another great hike with me and sharing a terrific day with Kim. Together we have been able to open the door to her of the outdoors we love so much!;)

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/573668069bBrsby

Last edited:
Dave, I enjoyed reading about your Franconia trip with Kim and Chris, just as I enjoyed hearing about it yesterday. A big congrats to you and to her. It's great that gave her the hiking bug. :)

Awesome TR Dave Bear. I hope to run into you and Kim in the woods sometime soon. Sounds like she is quite a hiker - you should consider doing the Bonds with her this summer - if she isn't hooked now, she will be after standing on West Bond!!!

She would be much more happy standing at the edge of Bondcliff! We will definitely be trying to get out there. I would love to do a revisit on Columbus Day weekend like I had done with Chris in '07. Bonds + foliage = Incredible Hike. Strangely, we hiked the whole ridge without running into someone that knew me by name. That is an oddity lately, but its kind of fun to hike anonymously at times!;)

Great TR!

BTW I have this picture up on my BB that I have always liked:

Sincerely,
John

Wow John, that picture brings back some very deep spruce trap memories!!!! :eek:

Nice hike Dave and you'll never reqret or forget these hikes and I'm sure yoru daughter won't either!!:rolleyes:

Can't wait to see you on the trails again soon!!:D

Super vacation!!