Ultra Runner Search and Rescue in the Pemi

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely seems like a really bad time to have been out there trail running that early in the Spring conditions. I was up in Danville Vt hiking last weekend and there were still some deep patches of snow at 2,300’

He was located on a maintained road 15 minutes after dusk. He was probably already on that road by the time darkness set in. Considering a blind person could easily successfully navigate that stretch, I don't understand blaming the light.
Blaming the light or not his Wife made the call. Whether there was an agreed upon time or not that she was instructed to do that or was it a subjective opinion on her part is more of the question in my opinion. Either way she initiated the call and got the response she was looking for. Making that decision whichever way it was decided upon is solely her and her husband's responsibility. The distance he was away from the road has nothing to do with what unfolded. She made the call whether he was five minutes from the road or was 10 miles in with a broken leg is irrelevant. As mentioned already by peakbagger F&G is not a concierge service. Somehow, I can't rationalize a response by F&G being like..."Sorry for coming in here and checking on how you are doing. Didn't realize how close you were to getting out. I guess you are OK so we will turn around and let you walk back out in the dark on your own and not tell anyone we came out here to see how you're doing. Although your Wife just wanted to know how you were doing by the way".

Last edited:
Somehow, I can't rationalize a response by F&G being like..."Sorry for coming in here and checking on how you are doing. Didn't realize how close you were to getting out. I guess you are OK so will turn around and let you walk back out in the dark on your own and not tell anyone we came out here to see how you're doing. Although your Wife just wanted to know how you were doing by the way".

It's what the Carrol police did when this happened to me.

It's what the Carrol police did when this happened to me.
So your point of relevance is? Carrol Police and a campground vs. ultrarunning in the Pemi and NH F&G don't seem like the same ballpark to me.

I don't have much faith in those working very well on the the type of route he was on. I spent a night low on Moosilauke a couple weeks back and none of my messages went through. It's not uncommon on my Pemi valley trips for a lot of failures to occur. It happens more frequently than I would like, but conditions for failure are pretty consistent. Those conditions just happen to be a typical campsite for me. The first time it happened, 10 years ago, my camp was crashed by the Carrol police. I wonder if that was a rescue...
What kind of messenger are you using? When I had a SPOT that was a constant problem. It was worse than having nothing. My Garmin rarely did that, even in pretty deep valleys like the Great Gulf, etc. I'm using a Zoleo now with no issues either. I believe SPOT's satellite provider network is(was) the problem if I recall when I researched awhile back. May be different now.

Definitely seems like a really bad time to have been out there trail running that early in the Spring conditions. I was up in Danville Vt hiking last weekend and there were still some deep patches of snow at 2,300’
Respectfully disagree, I've been out hiking every week with no issues. It might have been a bad time "for him", but there are plenty of people out there now putting together successful trips. I turned around once this winter, mostly because the snow was deep and crusted on top and my dog looked at me, like he would eat me if we got in trouble.

What kind of messenger are you using? When I had a SPOT that was a constant problem. It was worse than having nothing. My Garmin rarely did that, even in pretty deep valleys like the Great Gulf, etc. I'm using a Zoleo now with no issues either. I believe SPOT's satellite provider network is(was) the problem if I recall when I researched awhile back. May be different now.
I use SPOT. Whenever a new unit comes out I "lose" my old one and get a "free" upgrade. The new ones never seem to work any better than the old one.

SPOT uses the Globalstar sat network. Garmin uses the Iridium sat network. (This is what DayTrip was alluding to above.) Iridium is generally thought to have better coverage. If you can afford to, ditch the Spot and go with some device that uses the Iridium network.

I 'm surprised this thread has not discussed the dreaded SOLO aspect of this event. Maybe we've gotten over that?

Should all all solo adventurers be required to carry a SPOT--like device, else deemed irresponsible? (11th essential:!)

A friend did a trip to a remote provincial park in Nova Scotia. They could not go in the backcountry without a briefing and everyone had to wear a tracker.

Respectfully disagree, I've been out hiking every week with no issues. It might have been a bad time "for him", but there are plenty of people out there now putting together successful trips. I turned around once this winter, mostly because the snow was deep and crusted on top and my dog looked at me, like he would eat me if we got in trouble.
@SpencerVT didn't say "hiking," he said "trail running."

The guy is a schmuck for not carrying a spare light or batteries, cold-weather gear, and not anticipating the trail conditions. Given his lack of preparedness, it's better that his family called early.

Last edited:
I 'm surprised this thread has not discussed the dreaded SOLO aspect of this event. Maybe we've gotten over that?

Should all all solo adventurers be required to carry a SPOT--like device, else deemed irresponsible? (11th essential:!)
Probably because I don't think many people here on VFTT are horrified at the idea of somebody hiking alone. I think that is more for Facebook fodder....

The guy is a schmuck for not carrying a spare light or batteries, cold-weather gear, and not anticipating the trail conditions. Given his lack of preparedness, it's better that his family called early.
I do not differentiate the two, if your deep in the mountains.

I think his assumption was he'd be doing a day light run and out by dark, which he almost was.

As usual, best case assumptions can be a problem.

A friend did a trip to a remote provincial park in Nova Scotia. They could not go in the backcountry without a briefing and everyone had to wear a tracker.
Too nanny state for me. People should have more freedom (as we have for our outdoor endeavors) but of course need to be held accountable. As such, rescuers should never feel compelled to go out for a rescue if conditions are poor. In fact, I think rescuers go way beyond what they should have to do in order to effect rescues, which is a testament to their selflessness.

Too nanny state for me. People should have more freedom (as we have for our outdoor endeavors) but of course need to be held accountable. As such, rescuers should never feel compelled to go out for a rescue if conditions are poor. In fact, I think rescuers go way beyond what they should have to do in order to effect rescues, which is a testament to their selflessness.
I agree. It should also be recognized the White Mountains of New Hampshire are also a training ground for Wilderness Medicine. SOLO in Conway ,NH is the oldest continuously operating Wilderness Medicine School in the world. In other words, there is no lack of rescuers ready to jump on an incident.

Are you referring to the Long Range Traverse in Newfoundland's Gros Morne Wilderness?