Ultralight Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
I'm doing this little research for an ultralight 3-season shelter and I'm considering the following TENTS (not tarps). I want a tent under 3 lbs and I'm open to *ALL* options but it must include bugs & rain protection. Here is what I found best for each category :

Freestanding:
Big Sky Evolution 2P 2D shelter
Double wall 2 Person shelter with 2 Doors 2 Vestibule Doors !!!
2lb 11.5oz for fly, body, and CF poles @ 410$
2lb 8.5oz for very light fly without a window, body, and CF poles @ 560$

Tunnel, non-freestanding:
Warmlite 2 series
2lb 12oz for 2R (Regular double wall version with radiant heat blocking inner wall)
2lb 6 oz for 2X (eXtra LIGHT single wall version)
2lb 10oz for 2C (Double wall version 2 feet shorter with Wind Stabilizers)

Tarp-styled tent, non-freestanding:
Gossamer Squall Classic
1lb 9oz for body, stakes, rear pole, line and stuff sac !!!
NB. Looks like the Squall 2 of tarptents.com but lighter…

Please comment or prove me wrong :D

Thanks

Wow, those are expensive. Take a look at the Eureka Zeus Exo. The 2-man model is over 3 lbs, but you should have no trouble finding it for under $150 (U.S.). At that price you can also get the 1-man model and save 10 oz. when you're solo.

Chip said:
Big Anges Seedhouse SL 2. 2lb 14 oz and $280.00

Pretty hard to beat for name brand and customer service on a free-standing, "waterproof, windproof", well made tent.
Yep, I saw that one too but putting aside the price, I chose Big Sky since the tent is bigger and...a bit lighter. I agree that I tend to trust more a well known brand like Big Agnes than Big Sky...way cheaper too :D

If you look at the Big Sky website, the weight they publish is without stakes, without guylines, and without a stuff sack and also with $110 Carbon Fiber tent poles... :eek: still, looks like a good weight for a doublewall tent with 2 doors...

I bet you could find some lighter single wall tents and/or tarptents..

Jay

Maybe you know this already about Big Sky, but other hiking discussion forums like backpackinglight and lite gear talk have been full of outraged posts and threads about BS over the past 2 years, with many reporting that they order tents and didn't get them for months or years, and getting nothing but lies and misrepresentations by BS when they try to call or email.

There may some indication in the last few months that these problems are starting to be resolved, but I would still be cautious about ordering from them or giving them my business. At least maybe wait til spring and see how things go for the next 6 months.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...read/4250/index.html?skip_to_post=65868#65868

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but some of the posts above are quoting "Minimum Weight" specified by the vendor. If you're going backpacking, chances are you're bringing the stuff sack and the stakes. So the "Pack Weight" is the number you really want to look at. That's the weight you're actually going to be humping. N'est-ce pas?

My hiking partner and I each bought the 2 person Big Sky and we really like it. It is super easy to set up and very light. Prior to this, we were using lightweight MSR solo tents. We liked the MSR's but wanted more room.

We ordered our tents mid March and were told when we placed the orders that they would ship late Spring. We received a 10% discount for placing our order by March 31st. When we had not received the tents by the end of May we called the company and were told by the owner that the tents would be shipping within the week, which they did. Our credit cards were not charged until the tents shipped.

In my opinion, it is a reputable company that produces a great product ...they are just experiencing growing pains.

Ginny

Big Sky is notorious for poor customer service, delivery problems, taking money from buyers, not shipping for months, if at all and not responding to complaints and demands for refunds. There is a whole thread on www.backpacking.net about these problems.

Bob Molen supposedly has these problems worked out, but he has a lot of very unhappy customers. The tents look good, but I'd only buy one if I was willing to take the chance I'd never see it and be out my purchase price. If you choose to buy one, be sure to use a credit card that will let you cancel the transaction and get your money back if BS fails to deliver.

Last edited:
dvbl said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but some of the posts above are quoting "Minimum Weight" specified by the vendor. If you're going backpacking, chances are you're bringing the stuff sack and the stakes. So the "Pack Weight" is the number you really want to look at. That's the weight you're actually going to be humping. N'est-ce pas?
I asked that once of Campmor or a manufacturer and was told Pkg Weight refers to shipping weight, with the box and instructions. Min Weight should be all the components needed to hike. That's what I was told, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. From what I've read in ads vs weighing the gear at home, it does work out that way, within a couple ounces.

dvbl said:
Actually I use Min Weight for freestanding tents since I never used guylines or stakes with my Tadpole and I’ve used it on glaciers & at high altitude. I just select my site carefully and use what I can find around like rocks.
Tuco said:
I went this direction- freestanding and stakes in, light, etc-

Tarptent Rainbow
How does it perform under heavy, sustained rain & wind ???

Yep I kind of overlooked some models of Tarptent. The Rainshadow 2 is simply a lightweight palace for two. I also like the Ultralight Vango tents.

Motabobo said:
Actually I use Min Weight for freestanding tents since I never used guylines or stakes with my Tadpole and I’ve used it on glaciers & at high altitude. I just select my site carefully and use what I can find around like rocks. How does it perform under heavy, sustained rain & wind ???

Over a week or so worth of use have had no rain so not sure yet. You have to seam seal it yourself- I may have gone a bit heavy on that :) It held up to some stiff beezes but I haven't used it in very strong winds.

There are lots of reviews out there on the web that may help.

This is a good site http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tarptent/

Good luck and have fun looking.

Last edited:
I had my Henry Shires Cloudburst which is similar in materials to the Rainshadow but it's a tube tent, not freestanding, but I think since it's the same company, I used it in Alaska at about 6000ft with about 25-30mph sustained winds and gusts to about 50mph (estimate), and we had a light dusting of snow/frost that night. Camped high in a valley beneath a morraine (that we could hear all night long).

I was quite worried about the tent which is huge and therefore, a big sail, ripping apart and didn't get much sleep that night. However, although by the end of the trip, some of the stitching in the guylines were torn, it held up well.

My Black Diamond Hilight has a published packed weight as 3lbs 2oz for a 2 person freestanding single wall....

Jay

Nice site Arm

arm said:

WOW! a Lightening for $149 - can't beat that w/a stick! I'd be all over that...

FWIW, i personally wouldnt go w/ a single wall tent for 3-season use. ventilation baby is the name of the game for me, esp. in summer...

i use a 2-person MSR bathtub floor bug tent (about 1.5 lbs) under a large homemade tarp (1.1 lbs) that has awning like a tarp tent