Unprepared Hikers in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are just a few of the more pronounced examples of severely underprepared hikers I have come across. Why do people do this? Is it a lack of knowledge with respect to the sport or just plain and simple ignorance? Is this a common trend in the White Mountains due to their easy access via I-93 etc or a relatively new phenomenon due to the “recent upsurge” in people engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking? Either way, the hikers code as compelled me to offer help and the best possible advice when safety is concerned, but it’s still disheartening to see this kind of activity taking place in the mountains on a regular basis.

I think these folks mean well and are just looking to enjoy the Whites the same as we do. I don't think it is a lack of respect for hiking but rather just a lack of knowledge, research and planning. It sounds like many of these people see the hiking trail icon sign when they are driving along and just decide to pull over and give it a try; not knowing anything about the trail, its condition or terrain. That may work fine for some trails but not so much for others. Many of these people simply aren't even aware of what type of gear or clothing can be required for certain hikes. I think they figure that a hike is a hike is a hike and it is all just walking in the woods.

Experience is the best teacher of all and hopefully these folks you mentioned can learn something from their experiences.

if ya ever saw me on the trail - you would be horrified...:p:D:eek::D

Same here.

While one of the incidents that Marshie cites may be of genuine concern to the protectors of the resources of the WMNF (the cigarette butts), all of the other 'concerns' need only be detrimental to the hikers themselves, not Marshie or any other witness.

I have run into my share of 'the hopelessly unprepared' over the years and been involved in a few rescue situations. In no instance was I obligated to help, except by my own moral standards.

Marshie did not 'have to' help the guy on Lafayette, or any of the other people cited. If a hiker doesn't want to run into yahoos, I would advise that they not stay at an established campsite.

The "common trend in the White Mountains due to their easy access via I-93" and “recent upsurge in people engaging in outdoor activities such as hiking" has been in full swing since the 1980s. There is nothing new going on, but perhaps Marshie has simply become aware of more ill-prepared people than the average person.

I wonder about the "hiker's code" that is referenced in Marshie's last paragraph. I shudder to think that this code or anyone else's moral code may stop me from enjoying the mountains in any way I choose with respect to the outdoor environment itself.

Would this code stop me from pushing a baby carriage up a mountain trail? From hiking the AT when I was pregnant? From climbing a mountain by moonlight with only a can of Reddi-Wip? From sleeping with my food bag in my tent? What?

... just sayin'

I've often wondered how far knowledge should be shared, assumptions made, in regards to what other people are doing. If someone had scolded and lectured to me about my gear, it wouldn't have been well received. When my parents took us hiking as kids, none of us were prepared. Sneakers, little packs, cotton clothing, very little water. Maybe one flashlight. We did close to twenty four-thousand footers that way, sometimes in fog and showers on the Presis with cheap raincoats that ripped in the wind.

Of course that was then, this is now. Better equipment is easily available, and the knowledge is practically in our faces.

Most of us on this site are working at perfecting our game. None of us wants to be caught here for doing something stupid but I'm guessing most of us have. (Think we've had a thread on that.)

Trying to remember my most recent laughable incident...

Two winters ago we saw someone coming off the summit of Washington, alone, with a flapping traction device. We engaged the guy in conversation, then offered a small bungee to help keep his traction on his foot.

"Unprepared" is, to a certain extent, in the mind of the beholder.

Early explorers had none of the equipment or materials we have today but I'd bet their ability to survive over ours.

Give me a marine, soldier, sailor or scout, fit and trained, and I'd bet their ability to survive over most of us no matter what they wore or carried.

When I hiked in my 20's I was very safety conscientious, having directed many a search and rescue mission in the Coast Guard, yet I hiked in clothing and gear that would classify me as unprepared on this thread.

Today, less fit but more experienced, equipped for comfort as much as for survival, I'm secure in the elements ... though some might not admire my retro style.

I wonder how many of us who are so prepared can start a fire in bad weather, carry a knife that could improvise more scenarios than we can equip for in a pack, navigate without a GPS, or administer critical first aid to a fallen companion?

I think it is less productive and less humane to inventory the faults of others than to inventory what we did to raise their level of understanding and safety.

As a newbie winter hiker...i wonder if part of it is also not realizing that the trail that starts as a "hike" in the woods...well...doesn't stay that way. Yup...I know it goes up hill...but I didn't realize that it would turn into THAT! It is all so new and there are just so many things that you just don't think about until you've done them. You hear/read what other say...but "I won't be doing THAT...I'll just be doing a little hiking". ha ha ha !! Been there.

Hubby and I have been caught in a couple of situations that weren't, perhaps, to these levels of unpreparednes...but:

1. Following footprints OFF the trail up the side of JQ Adams...from star lake...on a warm, sunny day in March...with only crampons and trekking poles?

2. Taking an "less traveled" trail (the scar trail) in high snow season just becuase someone else had gone "part of the way" and said it was well marked? Withouth any idea of how steep...or even the lay of the trail (yes, we did have a map)?

These are two examples...both turned out no issues...both resulted in lessons learned that will NOT be repeated any time soon.

I wonder about the "hiker's code" that is referenced in Marshie's last paragraph. I shudder to think that this code or anyone else's moral code may stop me from enjoying the mountains in any way I choose with respect to the outdoor environment itself.

Would this code stop me from pushing a baby carriage up a mountain trail? From hiking the AT when I was pregnant? From climbing a mountain by moonlight with only a can of Reddi-Wip? From sleeping with my food bag in my tent? What?

... just sayin'

I think Marshie was just referring to a "hikers code" that says that the decent thing to do is to help someone out when it's clearly needed. I don't think he's talking about a set of rules that you or other hikers should follow.

Great stories though, Marshie.

Gotta stick with the old yankee philosophy on this one; live & let be stupid. "They" is we, and they thin out awfully fast with every step away from the highway, so be Zen and flow around 'em. Not saying anyone's judgmental, but I don't feel a moral imperative to raise anyone's consciousness. If I see someone stumble, that's different, but I wear cotton intelligently and then go do something "stoopid" (got caught talking to myself the other day!). So if the masses wanna get out and walk "over there," then that's O...K....

Good on ya if you're picking up butts with a pure intent, but don't be 'disheartened': you're seeing darwinism at work and the great variety of life!

"Baby carriage"! Indeed! Shenanigans! Why, that's as silly as a wheelchair ramp in the outback!

--M.

I think there's no point of discussing that kind of topic on this board, because obviously, the people you're pointing at are not members here.

Just saying...

I agree timmus, thoughts and threads of this nature have certainly come up before..yet, how come we can still think of things to say?!
Yet, I do notice that at any given time the number of guests usually outnumbers the number of members on-line and viewing, so perhaps its creating a topic for discussion elsewhere as well.

[QUOTE
Yet, I do notice that at any given time the number of guests usually outnumbers the number of members on-line and viewing, so perhaps its creating a topic for discussion elsewhere as well.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Fisher Cat! There are always new people who have heard about this site or come across it by accident and are new to our passion.

Makes me think of a bumper sticker I saw in Colorado. Shaped like a license plate: "No, I'm not a native, but I got here as fast as I could."

We could make one up that says, "No, I didn't know about VFTT, but I found out as soon as I could."

I try not to be too critical. I started hiking around 1975, in jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc. The tent I had cost me maybe $15 at a local dept store, same for my sleeping bag and pack. First trip out we carried canned soup and heated it in the can over a fire (no stove!). I the early 80's my then wife and I hiked the New Englad section of the AT in mostly light weight cotton, work boots and cheapo nylon ponchos. Maybe had a wool sweater. That was the first time I had ever heard of "polypro". Looking back, I did a lot of real stupid things, mostly becuase I didn't know any better. Luckily, I figure most of it out before I did anything too stupid. Then again, for the past several years I have been hiking solo, and if I ever get seriously injured while out I am sure that will get me listed in the "major stupidity" column. :)

Regarding guests on the board, I read the postings 2 or 3 times a week but never log in unless I am posting myself. I am sure others do the same so that may account for some of the guests.

Regarding guests on the board, I read the postings 2 or 3 times a week but never log in unless I am posting myself. I am sure others do the same so that may account for some of the guests.
Really? Why? I just have it log me on automatically. Are you afraid Darren is reading your cookies? :D

Makes me think of a bumper sticker I saw in Colorado. Shaped like a license plate: "No, I'm not a native, but I got here as fast as I could."

We could make one up that says, "No, I didn't know about VFTT, but I found out as soon as I could."

Any visitor to Cape Cod not born there is a "wash-ashore." I've been one of those all my life, too. Is that wash-ashore street cred? Or once flotsam always flotsam?

Up with mountains!

I guess I'll join in with one of my own times where I had to try my hardest to keep quiet and just let it be.

I was hiking Huntington Ravine for the first time with my sister back in summer '05. Here I am thinking, "I'm hiking the "hardest" trail in the Whites." We come up on what looked like a family of three around the area of the rescue cache below The Fan. The parents had their poor 10-12ish year old daughter hiking in "jellies," no socks. I was blown away. I didn't even greet them because a part of me was pissed off I think, and I'm usually one to say hi at the very least when passing.

They made it up because we saw them at the summit. Unbelievable, good thing it was a gorgeous day.

Last edited:
I once saw a family, three kids ranging in age from 8-12, with their mother in her late 40's, on top of Bondcliff in a rainstorm. The storm came in suddenly, and they had nothing for raingear with them. Cotton sweatshirts, leather workboots or sneakers, two small daypacks between them all, carrying a couple of snickers bars and a few cans of Coke.

Oh, wait...that was me once when I was a kid. It was an August summer day, and we had a ball running back to our campsite at Franconia Falls.

I once saw a family, three kids ranging in age from 8-12, with their mother in her late 40's, on top of Bondcliff in a rainstorm. The storm came in suddenly, and they had nothing for raingear with them. Cotton sweatshirts, leather workboots or sneakers, two small daypacks between them all, carrying a couple of snickers bars and a few cans of Coke.

Oh, wait...that was me once when I was a kid. It was an August summer day, and we had a ball running back to our campsite at Franconia Falls.

I have plenty of similar stories, and they're all great souvenirs.

I think kids enjoy themselves better in edgy situations, and parents learn what not to do the next time. Just as it's suppose to be, IMO.