Upgrading PC, OS and reloading NG maps ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Just got a new computer with Windows 7 OS and would appreciate advice on reloading Nat'l Geo mapping software.

I have the NG 10 disc Northeast US mapset. Its a number of years old, worked flawlessly on the Win2000 system and installed perfectly on the Win7 system. Put all the state maps on the HD.

At the same time as I purchased the original NE USA mapset, also bought NG's TOPO 4.0Streets and 3D Views Expansion Pack. At the time I'd been told it was the only way for the Garmin 60CSX to communicate with the NG software thru a USB cable. Its worked perfectly since then.
Tried to install 4.0 Expansion Pack this morning. The installer disc went fine, but unlike the installation on the Win2000 OS computer, the software will not recognize my Garmin 60CSX.
NG's Tech support site provides an option for downloading v4.5. It instructs you to delete all versions of 4.0 and then download. Tried it - while trying to install 4.5 it sends a message stating it cannot find a version of 4.0 on the system. Reinstalling 4.0 and the same message is rec'd.
While NG's programs are excellent to use, their tech support staff takes a long time, if at all to respond to email or vmail messages.
If I recall, had similar problems getting the Expansion pack 4.0 to recognize the GPS unit when I first got the programs and don't remember how I solved it.

I'll buy v 4.5 if it will fix the problem, but would prefer not spending money to upgrade to a version that is free online.
Has anyone else had the same problem or connecting their 60CSX thru the USB cable?( the unit came with a serial cable, I think, when I bought the unit and Garmin sent me a free USB cable when I called to talk about it.)

Any assistance from the more technically adept would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

Jay,

You rascal, how did you find that link? :D

First downloaded one then 4.5 and both took.

Thanks, buddy. I owe you the beverage of your choice next time you stay over in 'Jay's Room'.

Alan

No Problem Alan, hope you don't get lost ;)

I was just browing Topo's support site. They have a user forum there too, but I found it in the FAQ that seemed to be related..

No beverages needed but ice cream is always welcome. :)

Jay