Cannot get downloaded hike tracklog to display on NG TOPO map

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I've been using a Garmin 60CSx for 5 years. On almost a weekly basis.
HD crash over the weekend, but Norton's Ghost running in background so a mirror image of the drive got me up and running on new HD with no issues. All the programs, email, settings, everything works fine, except one thing.
I tried to download a track from a hike last week. Connections are fine, software says trackpoints moved to computer but tracklog does not display on Nat'l Geo mapping software.
Talked to Garmin and we checked that software, firmware and drivers are all up to date. Garmin thinks it's a NG display setting.
Hoping someone here can help. GPS unit and computer are all talking to each other. Garmin's techs are terrific. Although NG's mapping products are great, their tech support staff is understaffed and you cannot ever reach them by phone.

Thanks and hope someone can get me going again.

I'll email you a gpx file that I know loads on TOPO! on my machine. See if it works on yours. Go to Handhelds, Import, etc., to put it on a map.

GPX file is the key

I'll email you a gpx file that I know loads on TOPO! on my machine. See if it works on yours. Go to Handhelds, Import, etc., to put it on a map.

I had same prblem with my NG Topo. Then I learned to save the track in gpx format and have no problem. The NG Topo is still sort of funky at plotting tracks, but I like the maps.

Thank you to everyone who offered to help, here and offline. I got the tracklog download working this morning on a little romp with the pooches in the woods this morning.

Alan

Thank you to everyone who offered to help, here and offline. I got the tracklog download working this morning on a little romp with the pooches in the woods this morning.

Alan

Was it a matter of that little track log 'off' button at the top of the Tracks screen? I sometimes turn it off to make breaks in the track log files, or in time recording mode when stopping for a while, but don't remember to turn it on next time when I want it.