Upper Works to Duck Hole?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwc

Reaction score
How is the trail from Upper Works to Duck Hole (going by Preston Ponds)?? Has anyone tried it recently? Conditions, etc?
thanks!

I hiked this trail about 4 years ago (Upper Works to D.H. via the Santanonis and the Bradley Pond trail). To sum it up: HORRIBLE. Worst trail I've ever been on, bar none. No maintenance in probably 10 yrs. Couldn't even see the footpath for much of the way. Had to literally feel for it with my feet. Literally. Old corduroy was murder. When I finally arrived at D.H., I was so freakin' whipped that I set up my tent and crashed. It's an absolutely geogeous spot, but I'd recommend finding another route to get to it. (That said...a posting on this site told me that an ADK trail crew finished a maintenance trip through the same trail the week after I got back. Figures! Don't know whether that improved things or not.)

I've never been on the trail beyond the Santanoni Range herd path, but as spotter said, the trail is pretty bad. I've been that far thrice, and I'm getting used to it, but it's extremely muddy; and the higher you get, the worse it gets.

A little confusion maybe?

I think people are confusing the two trails to Duck Hole. The 'Santanoni' trail continues past Bradley Pond, down to Duck Hole. This is the trail that was horribly grown over. A couple years ago, we (46er Trail Crew) side cut this. The trail is now easy to follow.

Then there is the other trail to Duck Hole. It leaves the Indian Pass trail, and heads to Duck Hole, passing the Preston Ponds. The last time I was on this trail (few years ago), it was in need of sidecutting, but the condition wasn't that bad.

I did a traverse from Corey's thru Duck Hole to UW a couple years ago. The trail past Henderson Lake, Preston Ponds, and around the eastern and northern shores of Duck Hole is truly a gem.

It was in great shape (though this was mid September and dry) with no blowdown and good side cutting. The two Preston Ponds are beautiful spots and I remember Hunter pond being very nice, as the trail follows the shoreline. The highlight is probably Preston Pass, which ranks right up there with Avalanche Pass, if you like hiking Passes.

I've heard going up from DH to Bradley Pond is marginally better than going down.

I hiked the trail last summer from Duck Hole past the Preston Ponds to Henderson Lake (as a part of a larger trip). The trail was beautiful, and in beautiful condition for the most part. There is a wet area near the Duck Hole end and a few muddy places elsewhere, but it was largely dry (then). Some evidence then of new trail work bridge work) in places.

sara and i were on this trail in Mid May, this year... the trail was great, no problems and the DEC is starting to repair/put in new bridges in preperation for people to use the new canoe portage from Henderson to Upper Preston Pond....

we did however encounter some blow down on the steepest part of the climb just after reaching UPP. that should be clear now seeing how it's been a couple of months.

like i said, this trail is easy to follow and easy on your feet... when you get to DH try and stay at the NEW lean-to on the hill, this one has a little less snakes then the lean-to near the old bridge.....

also, it is common practice to take a DH shower under the dam, (don't worry, hardly andyone comes to this wonderful place)

if your lucky like sara and i were, you might be able to use someone's canoe on DH...

good luck and enjoy your trip...

happy hiking.

P.S. there are some good birch trees near the new lean-to that can be used as a bear bag hang (COUNTER BALANCE METHOD ONLY)

chekc out the lean-to book and you'll see.....

Yup, my bad. I was confusing the Bradley Pond trail (a.k.a. The Trail from Hell) with the one by Preston Ponds. Brain fart.

thanks everyone ...

for their reports! I've been considering taking my wife on an overnight into DH and this way seemed to be the best way for us to go (driving wise). She has never been on an overnight so I didn't want to get her too discouraged by a tough trail.
I stayed at DH last August while completing the N-LP trail ... I stayed at the newer lean-to and it was great. There was one large snake hanging around the fireplace, mostly just sunning him/herself. I was there on a Friday night and there wasn't one other person there, which kinda surprised me ... I thought it might be crowded, or least a few other people around. It was a beautiful night and the stars were awesome. A swim below the dam was very refreshing too.
Now, hopefully this rain will be gone by the end of July so we can give this trail a test!

Speaking of that lean-to and snakes...

I was there in mid-September when the flying ants take to the skies. There was a huge colony of them departing from the rocks of the firepit out front and a pair of snakes (probably garters) were gobbling them down right out of the air. Very cool sight.

Have fun!