Van Wyck Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
I'm considering a loop hike starting from Peekamoose Rd up Van Wyck and then over to Table and Peekamoose. I was originally thinking of going up Stone Cabin Brook, but I did a search here and on the ADK site and read several descriptions of hikes up the ridge instead of the valley. Most descriptions descended this way though. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a good starting point to head up to Van Wyck. I heard tale of an old woods road? Also would like to find the plane wrecks.

I've found Charles Heyden's web page with useful information. I don't use a GPS though.

Oh, also, Heyden talks about taking the "old" trail down off of Peekamoose that appears to go down the east side of Buttermilk Falls Br. That sounded interesting as well. Any info on finding and the condition of the trail would be great. Thanks

I have climbed Van Wyck, but only from the Neversink. There is a very nice open viewpoint just east of the summit. I have not been to either plane crash site. But I believe several of the other Catskill hikers here on VFTT have used this southern approach to Van Wyck via the crash sites.

There are probably many old roads. The topo maps show a land boundary on the southern ridge of Van Wyck. The area south of that boundary was privately owned until the early 1970s, as was Buttermilk Falls. Both areas are now state owned, but old roads probably remain.

A couple of times in the late 1970s or early 1980s I hiked the old Ledge Trail on Peekamoose that started from the parking area next to Buttermilk Falls. It was called the Ledge Trail because it went to the ledge at 3500' on the southern ridge of Peekamoose. That ledge is at the open viewpoint just above the 3500' sign on the current Peekamoose Trail (Long Path). The junction is just north of the viewpoint on the east side of the trail. The path is fairly clear at the top. For a time the old trail was the Long Path. So you might find some aqua paint blazes, but after the LP was rerouted to the current trail, the blazes were painted over with red paint. Some metal red DEC blazes were also used. The area was hit fairly hard by Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and I had heard there was much blowdown on the old trail. There was a rather humorous article in 2002 in a local magazine, Chronogram. The author bushwhacked down near and perhaps on part of that route, although he probably did not know in advance of the former trail. Sounds like he ran into Floyd's blowdown. However, Charles Hayden and his group managed to get through. The route posted on his website matches my memory of the old trail route. It does end right along a ledge next to and overlooking Buttermilk Falls, before descending to the parking area.

If you don't get more info here, you could post the question on the Catskill 3500 yahoo group list server. Charles does post there. And the Ted mentioned is his hiking party is the moderator. Instructions for joining the yahoo group are on the Catskill 3500 Club homepage.

I've climbed Van Wyck from Peekamoose road, leaving right from Moffett(?) Field which is the signed and the first campsite area you get to as you drive west from the PT trailhead. Right over a bridge. There is a woods road at the far end of the field (by the port o john if it's there) that you can somewhat use to get to the tongue that leads you to the summit. There is a nice steep ledge before you get to the summit that may be challenging but doable.

The other way I've hiked to van wyck is further east and there are definite woods road and somebody's old residence back then. Ran into a food celler of some sort and a large flat area where there might of been a house. The 1st of 2 plane wrecks is in that area which is why we left further east than Moffett(?) field. The 2nd plane wreck there is on the west side of the tongue further up in elevation.

There is also a feint herdpath between Van Wyck and Table....

BTW, a group of us are probably going to do this exact hike on Nov 4th... We're camping down at Sundown... Check out:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=14563

We'll probably hike by the two plane wrecks, have lunch on Van Wyck and then go over to Table/peekamoose and back down... You're welcome to join us for the weekend...

Jay

Last edited:
Thank you Mark and Jay for your informed and helpful (as always) info. The Van Wyck area looks like a fun place to explore. I noticed that the piece of the topo map on Charles Hayden's site still the residences.

It must have been a lovely place to live, the meadows and groves that are now the campsites are wonderful.

Mark, I read that funny article from an earlier reference that you made. I may be more inclined to seek out that path now!

Jay, interestingly I have tentative plans to camp at the Sundown site with several friends, and I was looking for an option, other than the traditional Peekamoose/Table trail for us. That is what lead me to search for info on Van Wyck. As it turns out, we are targetting the same weekend as you are for the gathering, Nov 4-5. We may finally get to meet, and maybe even hike together! :) Thanks again.

Vw

I have done the bushwhack from Peekamooses road several times. I have used the road- it only goes in along and above the stream for about .75 miles before petering out and then you have to climb up to the ridge.

I would gain the ridge asap. It is a pleasant ridge walk and should be open for more views now with the leaves down.

You really can't miss the plane wreck as it is right on the top of the flat part of the ridge and just before you start the last steep hike up to the summit. But can you find the small memorial plaque ?Last I was there it was on a tree. Its tells a little about the 4 people who perished in the crash.

The walk over to Table is nice and just foloow the compass and the land bridge over. It isn't thick (by Catskills standards) until near to the top.