Vandals at Lincoln Gap, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberzac

Reaction score
I thought I’d give everyone a heads up. I spent last week hiking the northern Vermont Long Trail (I’ll get a trip report up in a day or two) and when I returned to Lincoln Gap to pick up my car I found 3 windows had been smashed out of it. I saw more broken glass across the road where the vandals had done the same to someone else. Nothing inside the car was touched. I’m assuming it was kids with nothing better to do. I called the VT State Troopers, but they could really do was give me a case number to give to the insurance company. Despite a bad egg, the hiking community had really come through. When I arrived at my car I saw someone had taped up garbage bags over the broken windows keeping things inside dry. I don’t know who did it, but thank you very much. In addition to that several hikers that arrived at the trailhead offered additional garbage bags, tape, and one gave me an ice cold beer while I waited for my ride to the trailhead to return with additional tape and plastic from town.

Sorry to hear that, Lumberzac. Hope you insurance will cover the costs on the most part.

Fortunately I have full glass coverage and won’t have to pay anything to get the windows replaced. Hopefully it won’t happen again to anyone else.

Same thing happened to me at Mad Tom Notch a few years ago. :( lost $10 from my wallet and my cell phone battery???, and my radar detector. A kind soul garbaged bagged my window as well.

-percious

Need more data

My condolances on your bad luck. You got hit by some real sicko's I guess if nothing was touched. Thankfully those kinds of sickos are minority. Most breakins are by thieves looking for loot. It's prudent not to stuff like gear and luggage in plain sight. I think all trailheads are liable to vandalism and/or theiving. It's a pain, but to deter thieves I always make a point to empty my car of everything possible and leave nothing in the open that might tempt a thief to take the risk of breaking in. If you don't have trunk to leave your snowshoes you might want to carry them anyway. If I do leave the cellphone I have secret hiding place - not the glove compartment. It's a pain but I NEVER leave a wallet or cellphone in the car. I've heard of thieves rifling through people's luggage just to find the good stuff like your wallet.

Last edited:
ZAC that totally sucks and I am sorry this happened to you. A few months ago when I did the Sewards I had heard instances happening at corys a few years back. I made sure nothing was in my car and I left dirty socks on my dashboard and some other clothes. MAybe people that looked in thought I was a slob and did not want to break in :eek: Also we saw a car there with a note on the window saying "no valubles in car doors unlocked enter with care" I guess it worked cause nothing was broken when we came back out ;)

Take care,
Adam

lumberzac said:
I thought I’d give everyone a heads up. I spent last week hiking the northern Vermont Long Trail (I’ll get a trip report up in a day or two) and when I returned to Lincoln Gap to pick up my car I found 3 windows had been smashed out of it. I saw more broken glass across the road where the vandals had done the same to someone else. Nothing inside the car was touched. I’m assuming it was kids with nothing better to do. I called the VT State Troopers, but they could really do was give me a case number to give to the insurance company. Despite a bad egg, the hiking community had really come through. When I arrived at my car I saw someone had taped up garbage bags over the broken windows keeping things inside dry. I don’t know who did it, but thank you very much. In addition to that several hikers that arrived at the trailhead offered additional garbage bags, tape, and one gave me an ice cold beer while I waited for my ride to the trailhead to return with additional tape and plastic from town.

Looks like you experienced some of the worst with some of the best...both remaining annonomous!

From The "Dr. Wu002 School of Anti-breakins": Rule #1 - Leave dog vomit in your backseat. :D Rule #2 - Leave gatorade bottles filled with ........... liquids other than gatorade. :D :D

Glad you had the insurance.