Vapor Barrier Poll

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear Vapor Barrier Liners

• Yes

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Dont know what they are

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

ytmountains

Reaction score
If you wear Vapor Barrier Liners do you wear them next to your skin or over your sock?

When I do wear them I wear them next to the skin, letting the sock do its job keeping my foot insulated.

Last edited:
I only use vapor barrier socks when I wear plastic boots and I've found they help keep my feet warmer and dryer. I wear thin liner socks, the vapor barrier socks, and then a pair of SmartWool socks.

I have neoprene socks that I wear over liner socks. The neoprene is soft as a wool sock and actually feels much warmer. Of course, when you take them off, have a towel ready to dry your feet. IMO on multiday hikes in plastic boots, these can't be beat.

for my VBL's for my feet, I go with:

1. Liner sock next to skin
2. VBL over liner sock (loghouse designs)
3. Wool hiking sock over VBL
4. Boot over wool sock

I saw a buddy's raw toe after we got back to the tent from climbing Mt. Marcy one February night in '96 - The seam from the VBL had gnawed away at it all day and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I have always felt more comfortable without the pu coating next to my skin.

Bare feet.
VBLs.
Leather Boots if hiking.

Bare feet.
VBLs.
Light wool socks.
Ski boots, if skiing.

ytmountains,

I'd be very curious to get feedback on that FAQ. I can't say I have VBs all figured out.

Pete Hickey, long time no see. Check your PMs!

I wear my VBL's over my thermal liner socks and under my Smartwool Mountaineering socks.

I did have a problem with the cord lock on the string riding down and getting wedged between my shin and the tongue of my boot. I didn't take care of it right away and it left a nice bump on my shin.

I took the cord lock off and now I tie them tight to my shin with a square knot. I tested them at work for 9 hours and they didn't move at all.

I'll be hiking up Mt. Flume and Mt. Liberty tomorrow with Hiker Bob and many others. I'll see how they work and I'll report back.

4000'ers Journals of the White Mountains

Hi Dave M,

Thnaks for all the info. I'm thinking of trying VBL socks again after reading your article. My last experience was poor, as my skin ended up so wet that I developed huge blisters.

btw, are you Dave M from ski vt-l and the old r.s.a?

Nadine said:
My last experience was poor, as my skin ended up so wet that I developed huge blisters.

Yikes! Adding a 3rd pair of socks complicates things and you're right about the skin softening up. I need to update that FAQ. I don't bother with VB socks for day trips unless its getting cold enough for green wax.

BTW, have you tried using Tincture of Benzoin for toughening blister prone areas?

Nadine said:
btw, are you Dave M from ski vt-l and the old r.s.a?

Hrmmmm..... that would be me but I deny all responsibility for anything that happened in r.s.a. I'm disappointed that there is no red plaid skirt in your avitar. Say hey to Rob for me.