Vegas, Whitney and the High Sierra

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcborder

Reaction score
This was primarily a High Sierra, off trail, backpack with some easy scramble peaks. It also gave me a chance for some ultra-prominence peak bagging. I didn't have a permit reservation for Whitney but I've heard it's pretty easy to get an unclaimed permit for Whitney and I was not disappointed!

Las Vegas

Vegas offered the cheapest combination of flight from Boston and rental car for destinations in a day's driving range of Bishop, CA. Plus there are two ultra-prominent peaks nearby: Mount Charleston and Hayford Peak. August is not the best to be in Vegas for hiking, it was 107F at the airport! However; the trail heads for both the peaks are mostly high enough to make hiking reasonable.

Hayford, 9952', is lower so that was my first hike. I wanted to be at the trail head at sunrise to beat the heat. I didn't anticipate spending 1 and 1/2 hours on the approach dirt road. There's a cabin and spring half way up though so I knew water wouldn't be an issue. No trail above the cabin but it's an easy to follow drainage. Nice summit.

Charleston Peak, 11915', was day two. Trail to the summit. I did the South Loop out and back which was absolute fantastic. Long day at 17 miles, 5300' elevation gain.

IMG_0772.JPG

Death Valley

It wasn't hot enough in Vegas so I spent the next two days in Death Valley. The forecast was 126F in Badwater. I camped out at 7500' though and got two great peaks: Wildrose and Telescope. The later is ultra-prominent and the highest point in Death Valley National Park at 11048'. Telescope has an awesome view, and you can see the highest point (Mount Whitney) and the lowest point (Badwater) from its summit.

IMG_0858.JPG

Photos for Vegas and Death Valley

http://picasaweb.google.com/bcborder/LasVegasAndDeathValleyHikes#

To be continued...

Telescope and Wildrose are the balls. Sometime I wanna do Telescope from Badwater for a new valley-to-summit PR. :D

Man, you are HARD CORE for camping out in Death Valley in August!!! :eek::eek:

Thorndike is OK for summer camping

Telescope and Wildrose are the balls. Sometime I wanna do Telescope from Badwater for a new valley-to-summit PR. :D

Man, you are HARD CORE for camping out in Death Valley in August!!! :eek::eek:

Camping at Stovepipe Wells would have been hard core. It was 110F in the shade at 10 in the morning when I drove through there on the way to Wildrose Canyon (i.e. the Wildrose and Telescope trail head):eek: I didn't even want to get out of the car.

Camping at Thorndike Campground (7500') just below the Telescope Peak trail head was reasonable. No water but there was trees and shade. And I made it in my compact rental car no problem, even though there was a 4WD recommended sign at Charcoal Kilns.

I definitely cannot recommend running from Badwater to Telescope in August ;) although I wouldn't mind riding my mountain bike from Rogers Peak down and coasting into Badwater in November for example.