Vegetarian food/snacks for hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetarian?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Kill it and grill it

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Some of my best friends are vegetarians....

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
"deep fry" was not an option ;) For haddock and cod, deep frying works well -- they don't grill well. Tuna is best done medium rare on a medium-hot grill... about 1.5 to 2 minutes, turn 1/4, ... flip, turn 1/4, done between 6-8 minutes. YUM. Having a big bash for my father-in-law's 70th birthday this weekend. Tuna steaks for everyone. Dibs on the leftovers.

bikehikeskiFISH :D

Mercury accumulates in the larger pelagic fish, and favors the fatty tissue and organs. If you scrape away the fatty tissue (it's darker when cooked), you reduce the mercury consumption (but not eliminate it.)

Of course, the larger the fish, the more mercury. I caught this fish, which was 50", small for a bluefin, and smaller fish eat lower in the food chain, and contain lower levels of mercury than the giant ones.

The FDA considers one meal / month safe for adults (unless female and pregnant) [http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=fishpage&fish=154]

Tim

Hope you like the book. I've ordered through the library system but it has yet to arrive. Could you let me know what you think?

griffin said:
that it would never occur to me to think that you can be a veggie and a successful athlete.

Surely, you meant the reverse? There are veggies and vegans in all walks of life and throughout competitive sports - except perhaps competitive eating!

I've been told by omnis that Boca comes the closest to duplicating the meaty texture with their Chik'n patties. I've been veggie for most of my life so I honestly can't remember what the mouthfeel is like.

Yum, forgot to mention tabouli. Left over falafel is good too.

I try to eat vegetarian whenever possible, and have for several years, but it's harder where I live now because of difficulty in finding my favorites for vegetarian foods.

When hiking I carry a PB&J's, along with fig newtons. On a very long hike I bring 2 PB&J's.

I'm a vegetarian, but not a vegan. A vegan doesn't eat any animal products, including those made by animal labor, such as honey, cheese, eggs, etc. Some vegetarian products contain meat byproducts, which may not be as obvious, like casein. I do eat eggs, honey, and a bit of cheese.

Artex said:
I always thought a vegetarian diet was a major obstacle to athletics or being very active. I still think so, but the world's best ultramarathoner (arguable), Scott Jurek, is a vegan. I could never go full vegetarian as I like steak too much and also enjoy hunting, but pretty cool that a top athlete is vegan and shows its more than possible. To each their own.

lots of top athletes are, especially in weight class sports, and those not focused on bulk (no vegetarians in the NFL), Chris Campbell won gold in Freestyle wrestling, and is by far the most muscaler human being I have ever met in person.

As I gradually move towards vegetarianism (gave up beef and pork three years ago, now have chicken monthly, fish couple times a week), and found that working out and hiking is getting progressiviely easier, and my weight and percent body fat are steadily dropping - if only I made the change during my college or high school days when I actually competed...

They make some good dehydrated meals that are meatless, most rice/pasta based, which are awesome for backpacking. I did four days on the Long Trail last week with no meat for four days, it was great. In addition to those puch meals, I had hummus sandwhiches, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, dried and packaged fruit, oatmeal, various granola and supplement bars.

One thing I would avoid is cheese on the trail, as dairy contains lactic acid, which can cause fatigue, so mid-excercise it is not good to have a lot of.

You need an answer that is "just about" for those of us who eat meat here and there.