Vermont conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson

Reaction score
I think I'm driving from Maine to Vermont this weekend(3/3-3/5). Was curious what conditions are on Camels Hump and Mansfield. I will be hiking Sun. and possibly Mon. solo unless someone needs a hiking partner. Does the Monroe Trail up Camels Hump sound ok? I presume these trails are well broken out (prior to upcoming storm). Can I expect much traffic? If I can, I will try Mansfield on Mon. via the Long Trail from Smugglers Notch. I'm not familiar with the area but have done research and have maps from GMC. Any suggestions or alternate routes? Thanks.

Are you familiar with the trail conditions area of this site? If not, here is a direct link over there, just click Trail Conditions and Vermont Trail Conditions to see who has been where recently:
http://www.vftt.org/index-vftt.html

They are saying that we will get a good dump (again) here in Vermont between thursday night and friday night. I would expect -- if the storm does hit-- that it will be back to trailbreaking.

Have fun! Those are both great peaks!

As una_dogger said, the best resource in the Trail Conditions link at the bottom of the page.

I did the Monroe Trail on Sunday and it is very well broken out. Of course, they may get another 1-2 feet tonight, so all bets are off. There is quite a bit of snow on Camels Hump, significantly more than in the Franconia Notch area. Expect to be brushing tree branches with your head and shoulders quite a bit.
It was busy last Sunday, but that was at least partially due to the gorgeous weather. It's a great hike, even if the winter parking adds another 1/3 mile or so!

We were also hiking Camel's Hump Sunday. As blacknblue noted lots of traffice. Hikers and skiers all having a blast of a day. We forked off onto the Dean up to the Lodge. A lot less traffic there.

Camel's Hump

Go for it. It's a beautiful area of Vermont. I sure there will be others helping out breaking trial over the weekend. It's a local mecca for telemark skiers.

Dave

Any suggestions on a place to stay Sat and Sun night in or around Montpelier?

Place to stay

My daughter lives behind 'The Inn at Montpelier', nice place. I've stay there, but on the pricey side. Just recalled another nice reasonalbe inn, The Stagecoach Inn' in Waterbury. There are also standard hotels chains in Bare Vt right next to Montpelier.

I've luck out- crashing at my daughters apt. :D

Moderate snow and a *lot* of sleet coming down here in the Rutland area. If the sleet can quit and be all snow, there will be nice conditions for the weekend.

Report from Montpelier: 7inches of moist snow, no sleet. So my quess is the higher elevation will do well from this storm.

Just measured 12" of heavy snow on my deck in waterbury. Camel's Hump and Mansfield will be a winter wonderland this weekend. The Monroe trail receives lots of traffic so I would be confident it would be broken out by Sunday. If you try Mansfield on Monday you will have to pay more attention to route finding and believe it or not there is an avalanche hazard on Mansfield right now. The easiest route is up the profanity trail but I would be concerned that areas above that trail could slide. To avoid that exposure you would be better off taking the LT all the way to the summit however the last .2 miles is very steep and I use an ice axe and crampons on that section. The route finding gets tricky because the LT blazes are white and the skiers track up the woods in spots.

We all take ski condition reports with a tiny grain of salt, however, Stowe (Mansfield) says 11-14", Sugarbush (Ellen) says 10", and Killington (Killington) says 20".

Time to carve.

27714659743_13324.jpg

Skiied Smuggler's Notch today, looks like they picked up about a foot of snow. The skiing was sweet, and somehow the webcam guy took a pic of me and put it on the website. Good day of skiing!