Vermont....Mountain Guide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Reaction score
Is there a book out there that compares to the White mountain Guide for the mountain trails of Vermont. Picked up the Long Trail Guide but it kinda stinks.

Thanks
Heather

Heather said:
Is there a book out there that compares to the White mountain Guide for the mountain trails of Vermont. Picked up the Long Trail Guide but it kinda stinks.

Thanks
Heather
I don't like the Long Trail Guide much either -- not compared to the comprehensive WMG that I've become so spoiled by. Not to mention that there are several other excellent books and good maps available for the Whites. You can get the Long Trail Map to go along with the Long Trail Guide. The book Papa Bear recommends is good but along the same lines as The Long Trail Guide and has no maps except for little ones on the pages. There are a few additional maps you can get.

Try The Mountain Wanderer. Steve Smith can probably help you out more -- Tell him The Doctor (Wu) sent you!

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Picked up the Long Trail Guide but it kinda stinks.
Wow, hey. I'm as tough a critic of maps and guides as the next guy, though maybe not so loudly.

The LTG is put together by wonderful people working for a non-profit member organization that preserves and protects our great Green Mountains. May I suggest if we don't like the way the guide reads, that we might join the GMC and contribute to the way it is written?

I apologize. I didn't mean to offend, it stinks for what I am trying to use it for. I want to look up a mountain in Vermont, then find out it's trails and their descriptions, like I do with the WMG. The book just does not work for me , it is not a bad book. I am sorry.

Heather said:
I apologize. I didn't mean to offend, it stinks for what I am trying to use it for. I want to look up a mountain in Vermont, then find out it's trails and their descriptions, like I do with the WMG. The book just does not work for me , it is not a bad book. I am sorry.

You are right, it doesn't work the same way as the WMG because it is intended for a different purpose. Try the book that PapaBear suggested. It should work better for what you are looking for. The LT Guide has been improved a LOT in the past 3-4 years and works very well for those hiking the LT . . . I don't think there is a guide anywhere I have hiked to date that is as GREAT and comprehensive as the WMG, it really does have it all :)

BTW, I LOVE your avatar, moose are my favorite animal :)

sli74

Heather said:
I want to look up a mountain in Vermont, then find out it's trails and their descriptions, like I do with the WMG. The book just does not work for me , it is not a bad book. I am sorry.
I quite understand, thanks. Of course the purposes (and styles) of the LTG and WMG are very different. I am not sure how much you are going to like the DHG either, as it basically covers where the LTG leaves off: mountains and trails not on the Long Trail. Still the style and organization of both of the GMC guides are very different from that of the WMG and the other AMC guides.

I guess I have come to appreciate the different styles of guides for different places and purposes. For anyone who has used the 'Connecticut Walk Book', you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Michael Lanza's book, which I can't remember the name of and don't have hear at work has a fairly extensive Vermont section. I think it mentions New England in the title. I should remeber since I have been thru two copies of it. Sorry.

I agree that the Vermont guides are just not as well presented as The White Mountain or the Maine Guide. I have felt the same way about guides of mountain trails in other parts of the country. Perhaps I feel that way because I grew quite accustomed to the White Mountain Guide before I starting using most others; on the other hand, it may just be a superior product.

Not said in better circles

Heather said:
...it stinks for what I am trying to use it for....
As Mrs. Seth Lord tells her younger daughter Dinah in "The Philadelphia Story":

"Not 'stinks,' Dear, 'smells,' but only if absolutely necessary."

Additional recommendations.....

Heather,

In addition to the resources mentioned by others in this thread, I have found that Jared Gange's books (although not as detailed as the AMC White Mountain Guide or the ADK Region Guides), present an excellent overview of hiking opportunities in various locations. His "100 Classic Hikes of the Northeast" ($17.95) is a wonderful "snapshot" approach to some of the most memorable mountains and trails. This publication includes Katahdin, the White Mountains, the Adirondacks, Acadia National Park, the Green Mountains and the Catskills. While not as all inclusive and detailed as a guidebook would be, it is still a great resource and an excellent initial reference before heading to the intricacies of a guidebook. Often I have discovered), there is no need to do any further research as Gange covers most (if not all) aspects of hike planning quite well. His recommendations on classic routes (trails) and peaks have all been exceptional in the field. I have yet to be disappointed with his recommendations.

He also has a "Hiker's Guide to the Mountains of Vermont - 100 Best Hikes in Vermont" ($11.95). That may be something you might be interested in. The publisher is Huntington Graphics, www.letsclimb.com

There are also some good map references by Map Adventures, 846 Cottage Club Road, Stowe, Vermont 05672 802-253-7489 or www.mapadventures.com.

While nothing may compare to a 500-page guidebook, there is something to be said for the simplicity of a short, sweet and easily packable reference.