VFTT Secret Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as VFFT has turned into the Spanish Inquisiton.

I tried the "Secret Sign"

I have been very excited to go out and hike now that there is an official sign, that being to yell Alligator Egg when you meet someone on the trail. I got to the adk loj about 6:15AM yesterday and announced "Alligator Egg" to a number of people arond the loj and part way on my hike towards the marcy dam. When i got to the Marcy dam there were a half a dozen econ folks there with full rescue packs. Wantinmg to know if they were VFTT'ers, I again announced "Alligator Egg". They surrounded me and asked me if I was ok, to please sit down, there had been reports of someone who was potentially unstable entering the woods. I assured them that I had not run accross this individual, but would be glad to assit the poor soul if I encountered him. That was the last I remeber until this mornign when I woke up. I am currently in a large white brick building. They tell me it's a "clinic". I cannot call anyone, so I have snuck to the nearest computer I could find, now it appears as though someone is coming to get me so I have to hurry up. Dr. Wu, can you please help me?

slamdog said:
They tell me it's a "clinic". I cannot call anyone, so I have snuck to the nearest computer I could find, now it appears as though someone is coming to get me so I have to hurry up. Dr. Wu, can you please help me?

Dr. Wu can't -- or won't -- help you... because it is he who is responsible for your current situation: he is preparing you for surgery to make you look just like Alonzo Mourning.

Best wishes.

This is truly the funniest, laugh-right-out-loud thread I've ever read!! :D

Now we're off for 10 days to the Whites;

Assignment: try out the "Secret Sign".

A full report will follow :p

Eureka ! I Have it!

I have the perfect candidate for the secret sign, it came to me in a vision last night, in a dream I had just finished a winter climb of Washington, and at the top there was a bright light that said it to me.
When meeting other hikers we simply say " Very Fine Trail Today", (VFTT)
The unbelievers will just think we are being polite and the strange, slightly demented, but the always cordial VFTT'rs will respond with "Alligator Eggs"! Or we could just respond with "Are you Dr Wu?", or maybe something more appropriate. I think it's a winner.

For a nonverbal, visual sign, why not use the American Sign Language for VFTT? There are websites that illusrate the appropriate finger configuration.

Also, I have not read the 8 pages of responses and repartees, so if this idea has been previously recommended, I so yield to the original presenter.

Coming to you from Bass Harbor Campground, on Mt Desert Island, in a grove of coastal spruce, via a wireless laptop and their awesome Wifi network.

pocahontas said:
Now we're off for 10 days to the Whites;

Assignment: try out the "Secret Sign".
So if you're in the northern Prezzies next week and see someone who looks like this :eek: with someone who looks young enough to be his daughter, ask about the Views From The Top.

Edit: OK, OK, she looks young enough to be my granddaughter, but she really is my daughter, really.

But look out for Alligator Eggs!!!

Shoot Me Now!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe I am suggesting this as I am in the middle of takuing shirt orders again at member request. But- What about a hat???? We could find something Darren approves of in an adjustable with the logo. Just a thought .

Patches and decals??

Are window decals &/or pack patches with the logo still available????

HIATIS said:
What about a hat????.

At least one person (Bubba?) easily made a hat by stitching a patch onto a stock hat. I think that do-it-yourself solution is a better idea because everyone has a different hat preference, in particular those who wear broad-brim vs. baseball style.

This is the thread that won't die! So I was out this past Satuday along the AT in Mass (Mts Everett and Race) and I was obsessed with this conversation. My conclusion, it has to be the patch, anything else is just too potentially weird. I did say to one person, "the view from the top was great" and they just smiled weakly and walked quickly on. Even imagining saying alligator egg was way too bizarre (and as noted earlier in this thread, potentially risky). Bascially I like to be pretty quiet when I hike and sort of guage the vibe when I come upon someone to determine if I'll just have a very limited acknowledgement, or actually exchange a few words. But those words are too common to use as a "sign", like "great day" or "fun trail" or "how's it going". Saying something more is just a bit too much many times.

But........I am curious if people are from the site and since I haven't done any organized or semi-organized group hikes, I'm in the dark. So how can we get a patch or some such thing? I think that's the only way to go.

Met someone out hiking coming down from Panter Sunday and they asked me where I got my VFTT shirt. I asked them if they even had heard of the site and they said yes, so I did the volcon sign and asked them if they had read the thread about the secret sign. I think they thought I was crazy. Oh well.

One member of our pressie traverse said "alligator egg" several dozen times to other hikers this past weekend. I won't mention her name, but it starts with ME and ends with B. No bites, but the confused look on people's faces was priceless. :D

My wife and I were proudly wearing our VFTT shirts while hiking Rumford Whitecap in Western Maine on Saturday :cool: . Ran into an avid hiker guy, who asked what VFTT was. I gave him the URL, some general information on VFTT and what my member name was. The other 4 or 5 people that we saw on the trail did not say anything about our VFTT shirts :( .

I was hiking in NH on Sunday and took a short spur path to see a swimming hole. Back at the intersection of the main trail a group of hikers showed up and asked how the pool was. I told them I was looking for aligator eggs and didn't get a response.

This group had a Newf that looked like Brutus so i asked if it was and they said no. That gave me an idea. What if everyone on VFTT got the same type of dog? That could be our trail sign. It will have to be something other than a golden retriever. Everyone hikes with one of those. Picture this coversation on your next hike; "So how many mountains has your chiuaua bagged?" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.