VFTT Secret Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of dances, code words and pink shoelaces...

If you really want other VTTTers to recognize you, you could start by putting your mugshot up as your avatar.

Bob Kittredge said:
If you really want other VTTTers to recognize you, you could start by putting your mugshot up as your avatar.
that does not work so well...I once asked a gentlemen on Hale if he was Bob Kittredge, as he looked like the man in the avatar...I was wrong.

Bob Kittredge said:
I second what Mike said... this does not work. I was on Monadnock and asked a dude if he was "Darren" and the guy almost punched me out! I only knew what Darren looked like from his Avatar... lucky now Darren only has a boat or I'd be getting my heinie kicked regularly.

-Dr. Wu

skiguy said:
I kinda of like the Vulcan Greeting...palm upright like your waving,with a split in the fingers between middle and ring finger.Works going or coming. This could be a problem in winter though with mits and what not...maybe we could where pointed ears that time of year.
Not necessarily... A few years back I saw some fleece, two finger mittens for cycling in the winter. I would have to wear them year round, as I am one of the few that cannot do that trick.

If this sign is adopted, and I do have to wear mittens in July, I'll be plenty easy to spot on the trail. :D

JJHikes said:
Wasn't there discussion a few years ago of tying a pink shoelace to one's pack? Or did I dream that? :confused:

That's correct - it was either Carole, Sue, or Gail. Or maybe it was on the AMC board? In any case, yes, it was to have pink shoelaces tied on your pack. I still have mine somewhere.

pocahontas said:
On July 3rd we did the Ridge loop. Approaching Lafayette's summit from Lincoln, a guy was coming the other way, & we said "Hi"
he then said
" 'THE VIEW FROM THE TOP' IS GREAT ! " (

Did he look like the guy in this avatar? :eek:

I was there then, and I often greet people with some form of that statement (or question).

I dunno why anybody needs a secret sign. If I strike up a conversation with somebody, I ask "Do you ever check the Internet for hiking info?" And if it sounds like they use a computer, I mention how valuable VFTT is.

I met one member and introduced someone else to the site.

Edited for grammar

Last edited:
Remix said:
I dunno why anybody needs a secret sign. If I strike up a conversation with somebody, I ask "Do you ever check the Internet for hiking info?" And if it sounds like they use a computer, I mention how valuable VFTT is.

I met one member and introduced a someone else to the site.
I've met people like this but you have to work it into the conversation. I hate when you meet a bunch of people to constantly say, "do you post on Views" "do you post on Views?" because 75% of the time they're like, WHAT!? or they only read it once or worse, I've run into a few people who really didn't like it. I've ran into people who didn't understand what it was and it took me a while to explain it to him.

No, I'd rather have some kind of signal, like an eye twitch or special kind of mooning, like a secret society type thing!! Darren says he's going to make more patches so this could do the job though.

-Dr. Wu

Dr Wu
The way I met you worked....I went to "The MountainWanderer" and introductions were made. Doesn't everyone begin or end a hike there?

Could we all get a secret decoder ring?

BTW I have been meaning to ask you about the draft dodger camp in the 60's

The Wrist Band Fad!

How about a VFTT wristband?!
We could make them extra large so they would also fit over our winter gear. We could also incorporate a decoder ring whistle into it, in case anyone is night climbing ,when another hiker approaches, blow the whistle four times for VFTT.
I'll be taking orders shortly! :D

Or we could use avatars with our actual picture in them? (Mine's available on the wall at the USPS. ;) )

dr_wu002 said:
I've met people like this but you have to work it into the conversation. I hate when you meet a bunch of people to constantly say, "do you post on Views" "do you post on Views?" because 75% of the time they're like, WHAT!? or they only read it once or worse, I've run into a few people who really didn't like it. I've ran into people who didn't understand what it was and it took me a while to explain it to him.
-Dr. Wu

Yes thats a good point, --heh believe it or not there are people who don't touch or even want touch a computer-- But my own experience is that the rewards greatly exceed the risks of bringing the Internet into the conversation....

Hi Al D and Mike G- were you the one I showed the rattlesnake pic to at Tongue Mtn?

I've been chuckling away reading this thread. I can't decide if I'm up for a secret sign or not -- seems a little far out there. Like a few of us, eh??? :D

But, it would simplify matters for the patch-deprived. I've tried conspicuous sticker placement to no avail. The only VFTT'ers I've found on the trail other than Kevin (instantly recognized because of Brutus :)), were through talkiin' trail -- mentioning things that recently came up on VFTT. The times I've asked people if they're VFTT'ers or post on VFTT, I got that blank stare in return.

I love meeting up with others on the trail. Kind of adds to the day.

Personally tho, I don't think I need a secret sign to be recogized. I'm kinda hard to miss: slow, short, stocky chick, always wearing purple. Think Violet in Willy Wonka. :D

Bob Kittredge said:

Chica has had her picture up for years and has bever been approached by a fellow VFFT'er! Neither human nor animal... not even a sniff! I am guessing we have passed by quite a few without realizing it.

I think we'll stick to the dance. Chica is going to try to teach me to do the dog. I am not as coordinated as she is though, so it may be several years before we get our act together! :D

Seriously, the patches are the best idea. Or laminate the VFFT decals and attach them to your packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.