Volunterring to work help clear/ maintian trails w/o AMC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pbernard said:
Forestnome has a good philosophy. "Solo" trail maintaining,whether it is simply picking up some litter or removing some brush works well, yet so does formal trail maintenance, its all good!

I think that quite a few people do that sort of maintence (haven't run any polls...). I have even met a backcountry skier with a light-weight saw for clearing medium blowdowns.

Helps, but, of course, medium (eg small blowdowns, reblazing, clearing waterbars and brushing) and heavy (eg big blowdowns, digging waterbars, rebuilding) duty mantenence are also needed.

One of my informal methods is to help a formal maintainer with her section of trail. She is also the coordinator of a larger section and I help by walking sections and making notes on what needs doing.

Doug

Last edited:
When working for the WODC Trail Crew...

When I worked trail crew with the WODC we went on some trips with some volunteers. It was a great time (although it made me feel bad that I was getting paid)! The WODC really appreciates their volunteers and treats them well. I believe there are special volunteer days that intail a BBQ at the end. I think the RMC doest the same thing. I could be wrong, but I think I read or heard of these kind of events.

Charge no charge the AMC stands for American Money Collectors!

WODC's first trail day of the season, Spring Cleaning Day, is scheduled for May 14. We meet at the Ferncroft parking lot at 8:15. The day consists mostly of winter blowdown removal. There's quite a few on Dicey's Mill Trail and I know Larry, the adopter, would love some help. And so would I on Lawrence Trail. But participants can choose just about any trail in the WODC domain. We want to hit them all. There will be a potluck/barbeque at Denney Morton's at 5:00 in the afternoon. Denney owns the log house which was formally the Antlers Tearoom (and WODC headquarters in the first half of the last century), right next door to Wonalancet Farm in beautiful downtown Wonalancet. There will be more trail days throughout the summer, including our annual Sleepermania Weekend -- three days in the heart of the Sandwich Range Wilderness, doing general maintenance and some rock work. www.wodc.org will have details on the calendar or you can pick up a newsletter at Ferncroft, Bennett Street or Whiteface Intervale trailheads.

As for adopting trails, WODC has some slots for co-adopters. Sleeper Trail is available if you want to do it solo and you're really gung ho. And, after 15 years as adopter of Lawrence, I wouldn't mind handing over the reins, as long as the new adopter invites me on the work trips.

And I second Carole's suggestion. Lakes Region Conservation Trust is a wonderful organization that deserves all the support we can give it.

Last edited:
BrentD22 said:
The WODC really appreciates their volunteers and treats them well. I believe there are special volunteer days that intail a BBQ at the end.
For a moment I thought you were describing the AMC Trails Dept. Their appreciation day at summer's end is a fine event along with the free food and lodging through-out the work season.
BrentD22 said:
Charge no charge the AMC stands for American Money Collectors!
That makes sense. :rolleyes:

I'll have to call my AMC Rep and Flame with her about how I'm a flamer and that I wish to know why I am paying for my alpine skills session which is mandatory to adopt my trail.

Your best bet is to go to the forest headquarters and ask if it is ok to do trail work and also ask what trails seem to get the least work done and then hit those trails. I maintaine trails for the NY/NJ trail conference. They require no fees and no trail skills. You can attend their free work shops. I supervise a section of the AT and received free chaps, first aid kit and helmet. Depending where you live you might want to look into them. They maintain trails as far north as the Catskills.