Vose Spur/Carrigain 1/20/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suebiscuit

Reaction score
After meeting in Plymouth at 5 am (5:10 actually – a few white out squalls slowed down the driving progress a bit) Frodo, Hamtero, NH_Mt_Hiker and I decided we’d spot a car at Nancy Pond Trailhead, hoping we’d have enough time to complete a point-to-point via Desolation and Nancy Pond Trail, then started out for Vose spur from Sawyer road. Not much snow – 6-8 inches – along the lower portion of Signal Ridge Trail or Carrigain Notch Trail so the going was quick. NH lost one of his Mountain Dews along the way, looking clearly concerned that his Dew levels might drop precipitously low during the hike – a serious problem to be low on antifreeze on such a frigid day… We passed the big boulder, and started up towards Vose spur. NH was keen on following the herd path, but Frodo led the way up the funner freeform route. In the notch the wind had been howling, but on the talus field, we enjoyed a wind-free rest surprised by the fairly clear conditions. We continued our way up, with NH repeatedly saying “blah, blah herd path” while we ignored him (actually I learned that as a woman, my vote counted more than all of their’s put together, so “This way looks appealing” set the course for the moment and perhaps a lifetime of getting my way), using as much of the talus field as possible to gain ground. About 20 minutes later, found the canister, had a quick noonish break, but it was getting chillier as the day progressed, so we didn’t linger long.

We dove and crashed our way down into the col to the little talus patch, then plowed our way up the steep slope. Snow depth was about a foot at this point, and fairly slippery, but wasn’t enough to need snowshoes. 600 feet of steep and thick got us panting, but by the time we reached the start of the ridge to Carrigain, temps had dropped more, and despite the tree coverage, we were getting some wind action, so it was getting quite chilly (somewhere around 5-10 below). Wardrobe and food stops were required, so progress slowed a bit, but by 2:45 or so we were on the summit of Carrigain. We had decided it was too late to head down Desolation into the potential black hole of Stillwater junction (Frodo said the trail is hard to follow even in summer, and very few people go down there in winter) and the bushwhack had been a challenge, so we scurried down Signal Ridge, enjoying the smooth ride of several inches of perfect fresh snow on packed snow. Passed a group of 5-6 people heading up to camp somewhere – hope they were warm enough – the temp was still dropping. The wind was quiet as we crossed Signal Ridge – very pleasant! Hamtero stopped about a half mile down the trail, realizing he had lost a snowshoe – most likely on the bushwhack - so we stopped to lament. Too late, too far and too cold to go searching… If anyone wants to be a hero and go rescue it, I think he’d put up a reward! Really – it was easy going up there (not!) We practiced cycling pacelines on Sawyer Road (‘drafting’ actually worked to block the wind!), so made good time. Back at the car around 5:30, souvlaki sandwich from HG pizza in Lincoln in the belly by 7:30, home by 10:00…nice day out!

nice report sue. about 5pm, db, arm and I were driving down 302 - looking to see you guys on the road. Was going to give ya a lift if we did. (arm had a hint of what you guys were doing but didn't know for sure)

it was f**king cold and windy in the notch yesterday.

sucks about the snowshoe. :eek:

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Sounds like a pretty rugged hike! I remember Frodo did this hike solo a while back...which direction is tougher? I'm guessing the way you folks went(?).

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!!!

Hey giggy - where did you all hike? thanks for looking for us!

Mtn runner: this was my first time on Vose, so can't say which direction is easier/harder - going down the steep stuff has perhaps even more challenges/pitfalls than climbing, but Frodo said he didn't know of anyone who had done this direction in winter...

Reactions: arm
Suebiscuit: "Frodo said he didn't know of anyone who had done this direction in winter..." He's right. I've heard reports of climbers doing the Carrigain to Vose Spur route in winter before, but never climbing up the ridge. It was a wise decision to return by Signal Ridge from there, especially with the bone chilling temperatures you experienced that day. Sounds like you had a great time!

Suebiscuit said:
Hey giggy - where did you all hike? thanks for looking for us!

we did some ice off 302 - little willeys slide in the am and then climbed up flume cascade in the PM - after having lunch inside!

he didn't know what you guys were doing - but on the way back to n conway, we made an effort to watch out and pull into the trailhead where he thought you might be. figured why not - but knowing you guys, you wouldn't have taken the lift! tough day to be out...

Well, I am finally posting in this here forum....
Suebiscuit, we are planning a Vose Spur/Carrigain hike in the next couple weeks. Tell Hamtero that we will keep and eye out for the 'shoe. Probably dangling from a spruce dagger.
Cheers!
michael

I may go up and look for it saturday. I hate leaving stuff in the woods. I think I know where it came off.