W48 completion on Kinsmans 1-31-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
This was a Boston chapter AMC hike that I co-led with Chris P. as our leader. It turns out I just missed some friends who were backpacking up Galehead and over the Twins the next day, as they pulled out of Dascomb Rd just as I pulled in.

Our merry group of ten set off through the campground around 8:30. There was a fair amount of fresh powdery snow, and we barely noticed the tracks made by OldMan (see his excellent trip report at http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27764&referrerid=2786).

Actually, we where behind three people, but the snow was so light that we saw no actual tracks left by those ahead of us, although the trail was obvious. We were the ones who walked across the pond, and I assume the ice is extremely deep at this point. That didn't stop me from giving folks room ahead and behind of course!

We made a quick stop at the hut, and discovered it was 9.5 degrees outside. No one had stay at Lonesome Lake Friday night, but they has 43 people registered for Saturday night, out of a 48 bunk capacity.

The steep parts were not a huge struggle, but not easy either, especially for some of our newer hikers. The trees were filled with light, powdery snow, and they were quick to shed it on us! I greatly appreciated the hood on my jacket.

album.php

The snow was quite deep hiking up, and we put in some work packing it down. At one point I was sixth in line, making me the ninth person up the mountain that day, and I was still able to remark to a friend that the trail still didn't feel packed down.

That changed when we popped onto the ridge. The snow was much more solid there, and while it didn't appear any less deep, we didn't make nearly the indentation we did below. There was a slight breeze, and one really felt it. No need for goggles, and some folks actually hiked without head gear, although I needed a balaclava, a light hat, and my hood.

After a relatively easy walk along the ridge, passing OldMan on his way back, we found ourselves on South Twin, which OldMan correctly assessed was the second hump (with the big cairn), and I had completed by Winter 48. Folks were very nice and they did a wonderful job of helping me celebrate the moment.

Our leader, Chris P., brought up homemade ice cream, which he had scooped into individual servings, placed in cupcake paper. It was unbelievable. I never would have thought of doing that. It worked beautifully. He brought them up in a cooler in the car, and joked they were probably colder in his backpack than in his freezer.

The trip down was quick and easy, with a fair amount of glissading, and before we knew it we were in lakes, popping open some (non-alcoholic) bubbly.
photos

We only needed our headlamps once we were across the lake, and it was interesting heading back down to the parking lot because with the leaves gone we had a full view of I-93 in the Notch, and this might have been the first time I saw a road before I heard the traffic.

I was grateful for the nice folks and all the kind words on the trip. It was cold and lots of snow fell off the trees on us, but it was a very cheerful group from start to finish.

B

Yes, congrats, and quite a winter to have accomplished it in! Way to go!

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

I never would have thought about ice cream on a winter hike. :rolleyes:

Congrats! No confusion about the season change this time!

Major congrats on completing the winter list!

And a mountaintop party with... ice cream! How totally cool (as it were).

Thanks you all for the kind words!

Ah yes, if I had a dollar for every water bottle I left in someone's car after a ride back! But then again, if only I had my water bottles...

Mats, we had a nice celebration at Lonesome Lake on the way down, but I do also plan on going to the 4,000 Footer committee's celebration, whenever that is this spring. I was out of town for that the year I finished my 48 and was sad to miss it. You should definitely go too! They hand out nice certificates. On that note, I thought I had finished my Winter 48 last year, so I should probably tell the story.

Back before I considered doing the W48, I did a backpack up the Kinsmans and then stayed at the shelter. Next day went down over Canon. So last winter when I thought I was finished, I filled out the sheet with all the dates and sent it to the 4,000 footer committee, and put the reception date on my calendar.

But no, it was rejected, because although the Kinsmans were climbed during winter, the next day rolled into spring, and since I wasn't down off the ridge (having gone on to Canon) before winter ended, my Kinsmans backpack didn't count for hiking the peaks in winter.

I went ballistic, but hey, that's ancient history now! I've got photos to prove I was on the Kinsmens in winter, and that's that.

But a word to the wise, in case people didn't know, you can't start a mountain before the minute winter begins, and no matter how many other peaks you cross and where you sleep, your feet need to be back off the trail before the minute winter ends for that peak to count.

This is true everywhere, I've learned, even in the Himalaya. The folks trying to get up Broad Peak this winter had to wait for winter to begin officially before setting off to base camp, so if they had to wait, I don't feel as bad now that I had to be off during winter either.

I do also plan on going to the 4,000 Footer committee's celebration, whenever that is this spring.

Saturday, April 25, 2009- http://www.amc4000footer.org/dinner.htm

I'm planning to be there and there are lots of completers here that might likewise be going. Perhaps we can organize our own dinner before the awards ceremony?

Congratulations!

Tim

We should absolutely get folks on this site to do something, and also perhaps facilitate carpooling. We should make that another threat, though, when the time gets closer.

Excellent suggestion!

Brian

Congratulations on finishing the W48's. I'm glad I was there to celebrate and yes, I can confirm that the homemade icecream was the coolest (coldest) thing going.

Great day...

...but the worst ice cream headache I've ever had. Worth it, though.

Kevin