wandering on willard

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
On Saturday April 1st, I took a nice mellow hike up Mt. Willard with six friends, all women who are fellow team leaders for our upcoming Wilderness Heals hike. On the whole, the day was rainy and not too cold, but just before we headed out the skies looked relatively promising. The trail started out muddy and slushy, but seemed barebootable. Very soon we had to cross a shallow but wide stream that I didn’t remember—it must have been the rain and melting snow that made it pretty memorable on Saturday. Soon enough, the slush gave way to ice and I decided to use my stabilicers--for the first time! I had bought them on sale after hearing all of the rave reviews, and I completely concur. Mt. Willard was a perfect stabilicers hike because the grade is gentle enough that the stabilicers provide perfect traction. No one else in my group was wearing any traction on their boots at all, and while they all made it up and down safely, I was the only one that never had to cling to a tree Smile

I kept noticing the water droplets on the spruce branches...they seemed to sparkle despite the grey and foggy light. In fact, I started noticing every little thing...the shapes of the leaves, the unique footprints left behind by others, and the ever-changing sky. As we approached the summit, the opening in the trees almost looked like a beach scene from far away...I'm not sure if the photos convey this or if you had to be there.

For anyone who's climbed Willard, you know that for a very modest effort you get a beautiful view. The clouds were high enough for us to see the summit of Webster, but not Jackson, and a panorama of peaks far away. I wish I knew what they all were...is it possible I saw Chocorua? One of them sure looked like it.

We hung out on the summit for a while, appreciating the views, and I took lots of summit photos--a new favorite hobby of mine. Then, we were back down before I knew it, and the rain was really coming down at that point. I got drenched from the trailhead to Shapleigh Studio! Truly, a wonderful hike with a superb group of women.

-katie

the photos:
http://community.webshots.com/album/549141880eJUmQC

Nice pics!! The skies looked quite chaotic. After a trip to Ethan and Shoal Pond, my friend and I took a side trip to Mt Willard before the day was over for some views, and we were very impressed! I'll be back during the summer on a weekday to relax up there. I could easily see myself laying on the rocks all day.

grouseking

I hiked this with my daughter in 1997 and it was her Mother's Day gift to me (since she was a poor college student with no money for a gift). We didn't have any views, but the day/hike was wonderful and got me hooked on hiking. I haven't stopped since. I was just looking for her company that day, and her enthusiasm for the hike ended up giving me the best Mother's Day gift that I have ever received. I think of her and this hike every time I step on a trail.

Glad you had a great time and were able to enjoy some views. I plan to get back there someday to see the views for myself.

bunchberry said:
is it possible I saw Chocorua? One of them sure looked like it.

Very nice report. Thanks. Yes, the summit of Chocorua is visible from Willard on a clear day. I thought your crew might like to see how Willard was ascended 100 years ago when the Crawford House was still in business. The second picture in this sequence shows Chorocua in the distant hills.