Wanna buy a mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
I came across this story and found it amusing.

A Romanian who was given a mountain that the communist government had seized from his shepherd grandfather has put it up for sale on the internet after failing to find a buyer in the small ads of his local paper.

Alexandru Anganu-Bancila, 53, received an unexpected phone call from government officials telling him he now owned Mount Gaura, near Bran, in the Carpathian Mountains. The 2285-metre peak comes complete with several waterfalls, a dozen brown bears that have made it their home, and several hunting lodges. - Telegraph, London :cool:

cp2000 said:
I came across this story and found it amusing.

A Romanian who was given a mountain that the communist government had seized from his shepherd grandfather has put it up for sale on the internet after failing to find a buyer in the small ads of his local paper.

Alexandru Anganu-Bancila, 53, received an unexpected phone call from government officials telling him he now owned Mount Gaura, near Bran, in the Carpathian Mountains. The 2285-metre peak comes complete with several waterfalls, a dozen brown bears that have made it their home, and several hunting lodges. - Telegraph, London :cool:

"Mr Anganu-Bancila hopes that the mountain will fetch £24 million. He has put it on the market for the equivalent of €6 (£4) per square metre, although property experts believe that areas close to roads could fetch up to €50."

Isn't that something like 40 Million dollars? What a shame that the government couldn't find something better to do with the land than just drop it in the hands of one private person. I'm all for correcting injustices of the past, but does that require making someone instantly rich? Maybe the government could have used some of that money for education, or health care, or I don't know, building roads.

MikeOneill said:
What a shame that the government couldn't find something better to do with the land than just drop it in the hands of one private person. I'm all for correcting injustices of the past, but does that require making someone instantly rich? Maybe the government could have used some of that money for education, or health care, or I don't know, building roads.

Maybe if the government were more successful in providing education, health care and building roads they'd still be in power. I think they ought to give it back, with interest, but somehow I suspect that the owner has better connections than the new government has a sense of justice.

Now ... if this mountain were in the Northeast, we could all chip in and buy it.