Warmlite tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding reviews of their tents. Any owners here nice enough to share their experience with us ?

Also, is it only me or is it more difficult to have a stable tent with "tunnel" designs ?? I've had a hilleberg and returned it because it was too much of a pain...Any tips welcome.

Thanks

Interesting catalog

The Warmlite folks have been around for a long time. I remember them from the Whole Earth Catalog (ouch, dating myself). Their catalog has always been a bit unusual. If you are looking for vapor barrier clothing (and you are, aren't you?) it's the place to go.

There should be many reviews of the Warmlite tents around. They've been around since the 60's. I've never even seen one in person, but people seem to either love them or just think they are weird. Jack Stephenson, and now his son, who runs the company are very opinionated about their gear, so take what you read with that in mind.

Try looking on www.backpacking.net in the forums and you should find some comments.

TomD said:
Jack Stephenson, and now his son, who runs the company are very opinionated about their gear...

Not to mention their....let's say thought provoking catalogs ;) :D

There’s nothing especially weird about Warmlite tents. They are very light and very big for their weight. They are very stable in high wind if properly pitched. They go up and come down easily. Under certain circumstances (high humidity, low temp, low wind) they get a little damp from condensation. I’ve been using one for over thirty years (not the same one!), and have few complaints. There’s an Englishman named Alan Sloman who walked from Lands’ End to John O’ Groat’s this summer (with a side jaunt across the width of the Scottish Highlands and back on the TGO Challenge). His blog is here. Look at his July 19 entry for his take on the Warmlite tent he bought for the trip.

Motabobo said:
I'm having a hard time finding reviews of their tents. Any owners here nice enough to share their experience with us ?

Also, is it only me or is it more difficult to have a stable tent with "tunnel" designs ?? I've had a hilleberg and returned it because it was too much of a pain...Any tips welcome.

Thanks
I have had a couple of Kelty 4-season Windfoils over he last 11 years (both 2 and 3 person models). I really like the tunnel design because the pitch is much more taught and it seems to stand up to winter conditions better (depending how you pitch it - Tail into the wind for me)