Washington via Glen Boulder, Nelson Crag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Participants: Cruddy Toes, Dr. Wu, Darlene, Swamp, Juniper

Saturday a small group of us hiked up Glen Boulder, after which Al went south to Isolation while the rest of us took our chances with the weather and headed up to George. It was my first time up GBT and I really liked it. Some clouds started rolling in as we climbed up the Davis Path, but temps actually seemed to get warmer as we made the last push to the summit.

We were inside having a snack when we met a couple of nobo thru hikers and had a nice chat. One of the two had an eerie amount in common with Swamp. Anyway, they head out on their way and a minute later we see them come back in! Turns out it had started hailing and the wind was howling :eek::eek:. These two were from Florida and, although they had seen their fair share of snow along the trail given their Feb start, they were not interested in experiencing it in NH this day. They were trying to figure out their options and we suggested that if they were interested they could hike down with us, camp out, and then we'd help them get on their way again the next day. I think we also mentioned beer.:D So off we went with two new companions. We had thought about going down Boott Spur, but opted instead to head down the Nelson Crag trail since we had put a car at PNVC. It was super windy and it was a struggle to stay upright on the jumble of wet rocks. Eventually we made it down out of the wind and slipped and slid our way down the trail back to Pinkham.

Enjoyed a nice evening around the fire with the folks who had come to Barnes. Our two new friends fit right in. Good luck to Tarzan and Fitch as they progress northward. They expect to finish sometime in late June.

Pictures: Mt. Wash

Being the trail adopter for Glen Boulder (Boulder to Davis Path), I have yet to get up there...how was the trail?

Maybe someone else with a better memory will chime in, but I recall it being all clear and in good shape.

Maybe someone else with a better memory will chime in, but I recall it being all clear and in good shape.
It's in awesome shape. I don't even recall a blowdown.

Great hike everyone. Wicked fun time!!

-Dr. Wu

Glen Boulder was a sweet trail! Great hike and nice views! As usual fun time at Barnes with new friends...:D

I will post pics later...new camera doesn't want to download pics from my card reader...errrr :mad:

Nice!
Looks like you had pretty good weather, for the most part.

Those AT guy's must have been pumped to party !

If you walk down the rocks from nelson crag a bit, there is a nice view looking into huntington ravine.

Thats one of my favorite hikes on Washington and have done it many times.
Wish I could have been around but I ran a race on Pack Monadnock Sunday.
Sounds like good times were had by all.