Washington weather alert (Sunday 8/19)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The bike race on Saturday was cancelled due to low temps, 70 mph winds, sleet, and rime ice on the summit; conditions are not expected to improve much today. If you must hike it Sunday, among the optional items recommended by the weather observer are goggles and crampons. Anticipate late fall to early winter conditions. Here's the observer's report from www.mountwashington.org:

"When I look at the forecast for the next 36 hours, I get an unsettled feeling in my stomach. It isn’t because I think I did an insufficient job forecasting. It isn’t because we have a potent storm forming nearby. It isn’t because we are going to break any ground shattering records and have the press swamp us. It is because of the temperatures and winds we will be getting will be creating some wicked wind chills for this time of year and there is bound to be at least one unprepared person out there.

Normally, August is one of our warmer months up here but over the next 36 hours, it will feel more like late fall rather than late summer. While valleys will be getting to temperatures in the mid 60s during the days, summits will be plunging below the freezing mark (32 Fahrenheit) tomorrow and will continue dropping until bottoming out Saturday night in the mid 20s before slowly rising (but still below freezing) on Sunday. Winds will be averaging between 50-70 mph during the day Saturday, 45-60 mph during the night Saturday, and 30-50 mph on Sunday. When you combine these two factors, you get wind chills on the order of 10-20 Fahrenheit Saturday, 0-10 Fahrenheit Saturday night, and 10-20 Fahrenheit Sunday.

For those who don’t know what a wind chill temperature is, it is the temperature it feels like to people (and animals). It is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin. The faster the wind is, the faster body heat is carried away which in turn lowers the skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. This in turn can bring about frostbite to exposed surfaces or hypothermia. Given the conditions this weekend, frostbite will set in to any exposed surfaces in a matter of 30 minutes especially in areas of the body with poor circulation.

So what are some things that you can do to prevent the effects of wind chill and possible frostbite? First, I would encourage hiking another time if possible. If you decide to make a go at it though, first check the forecast to see if anything has changed. Next, with the valleys being so “warm” and the summits so “cold,” dress in layers storing the extra layers in your pack, including a warm coat (LL Bean makes a few good ones that we wear). Make sure any clothing you are wearing is either made of wool or synthetic material, cotton is not a viable option. Wear thick wool socks or multiple layers of synthetic socks in good boots. Gloves are a must as well as a cap or balaclava of some sort. Pack plenty of food because you tend to burn more energy when it is colder. Insulate your water so it won’t freeze. Let others know of your plans or check in at a Visitor Center at the base of the summits. Some optional items to pack are goggles, hiking poles, crampons, and anything else you would normally pack for a late fall hike because it will definitely feel like it this weekend." [end report]

Last edited:
Crampons on thin glazed ice or rime are not a very good idea. Stabilicers or screwboots work much better for these kinds of early season ice, considering that most of your steps would be on rocky surfaces - but perhaps the people at MWO are not familiar with them?

Having said that, I am glad they are giving a warning.

Do I need fear???

I am all packed for a day hike from the summit of Washington (taking the Van up the auto road) over to Madison and then down the Valley way trail. This is set for Monday 8/20 morning. I have in my pack:

A North Face Nupsie down jacket
Long johns
Wool hat
Gloves
Chemical hand warmers
Heavy EMS shirt
Rain pants (for wind break)
Rain jacket (for same thing)
long pants
sandwhich, candy bar, nuts, dried friut, energy bar, engery drink, 2L water

Do you think this is sufficient? It is a 6 mile hike over to Madison but I want to Summit Adams and Madison

Please give me your opinion.

Gordon Ripley

It all depends on what the weather throws at you. The biggest concern would be traction if everything is coated with glaze ice. Do you have Stabilicers or Yak-Traks? What kind of boots do you have?

Just regular heravy duty hiking boots

I have Vasque heavy duty hiking boots with lug soles. I do not have any crampons or other grippers. I read the weather for the summit and wasn't concerned as there was no mention of ice and while cool the weather is supposed to be ok for the next two days. I had not figured on ice!!! Anyway to tell if there is ice? Do you think if I called AMC at Pinkham they would know?
Gordon

there is bound to be at least one unprepared person out there.

...And I met him at the Burger King in Ashland on my way home today....

I kid you not.. There was a guy, about my age. clearly drunk, smoking a cigarette who as soon as I got out of my car began ranting about this amazingly hardcore hike him and his friends had just done up Washington on Saturday.

He ranted that the winds were real hard, that it was all fog, that it was cold and they had to turn back at the hut (I assume lake of the clouds). He said he was drunk while doing it and wearing nothing but what he was wearing as I talked to him (shorts and a t-shirt) with no extra layers in tow. He also mentioned how his friends had to physically hold hold him back from making an attempt on the summit. Then he told me about their after party.

If his story is true I would wager a guess that he really needs to thank his friends because holding him back probably went a long way in saving him from a very unpleasant situation or possibly the statistics book.

...A very strange encounter indeed. I listened to his story until he started repeating himself.

By the time you board the Summit Stage at the AR, AR Road Crew will have already been to the summit and know the conditions underfoot. This morning ( Sunday), there was some icing of the summit stair case and some caution about the footing around the entrance to the Adam's Building. Traffic to the summit was delayed about half an hour so that those areas could be sanded. By 8:30 enough sun was penetrating the cloud cover to prevent ice formation, even though the summit air temp was just 32 F. ( That 32 F ambient temp @ 6288' held until about 3 PM). As you descend to Adams and Madison, you'll be warming.

The MWObs Current Conditions Screen will be displayed at the Stage Dispatch Office.

Even without Precip overnight, there MAY ( or may NOT) be early morning glaze or rime from cloud moisture depending on the temp and dewpoint. Since the first Stage Trip to the summit doesn't leave Base until 8:30 AM at the EARLIEST, you won't reach the summit until after 9 AM.

Winds are diminishing, be sure you are protected from wind chill, looks like you are/will be.

If you have a chance to check with AMC/ PNVC before you arrive at MWAR, you may get additional info from their morning radio roundup report from the hut system.

Conditions are improving, just stay abreast of the MW summit conditions

Have a great hike!

Breeze

Glad they got that forecast out...I am always aware of what this time of year can deal out...hiking with my son yesterday on Cardigan - only 3000 feet but exposed we found 50 degrees with steady winds around 40 mph with gusts to near 50 by my best guess.

I talked to a dad up top who had his whole family with him - I tried to gently inform/alarm him that his youngest daughter (dressed in 100 % cotton shorts and t-shirt, and light sweatshirt) was approaching hypothermia. Her lips were blue and her teeth were chattering...they promptly aided her and got her more layers and warmed her up...

It does not need to be February - cold, damp days with a lot of wind invite a lot of trouble.

Nelson Crag on Sunday

Crampons were not needed up on Washington yesterday. I went up by way of Nelson Crag trail and had to contend with the 50 to 60 mph winds, but the rime ice was mainly on the cairns and bolders. The trail got a little damp, but slipping wasn't a major problem. Finding the cairns in the fog with fogged-up classes while trying to keep from being knocked over was more of one. See Trip Reports for more.

There was no ice at all the way up to Boott Spur, Tuckerman Junction or Lion's Head yesterday. The winds were quite stiff, as Bob reported. We did carry traction, based on that warning, however. Better safe than sorry!

Marty

ice in august- wow--so i will bring my stabilicers this week and tell my friends also. i'll be up in twin mt sugarloaf campground with my 2 dogs and 2 friends as of thurs eve 8/23 and staying till 8/30. any further info is appreciated! we are not going to be doing real peak bagging since i have a torn rotator cuff and we have the 2 dogs but it sounds like it might be cold. would love to meet some of you--have not firmed up the hike schedule as it will be weather dependent. i am not a fast hiker and even slower on terrain but i can go forever....