Water on Wright/Algonquin/Iroquois

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown

Reaction score
Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be hiking Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois probably from Marcy Dam. After reading one recent trip report, a question arose in my little brain: what sources of water exist on this trail? When is the last fill-up opportunity we're likely to encounter?

If anyone has any advice to give about route/campsites or various and sundry topics, feel free to chime in.

Oh, and if anyone is going to be up there at that time (July 8-11), let me know, I haven't met anyone from this site in person yet!

Muchas gracias!

Josh

Last time I was up that trail to Wright and Algonquin from Adirondack Loj was (Holy smoke!) in 1998, with Prima Donna Grumpy. It was August. The cascade described by AlpineSumit was flowing well, and there was water in the little stream up the trail a bit. We also encountered a good flow of water across the trail at the Wright spur trail junction.

It has been many years -- a good 10-12 -- since I hiked the Whale's Tail ski trail from Marcy Dam over to the Algonquin trail from the Loj. As I remember it then, the (Whale's Tail) trail was fairly broad (widely cut out) and easy going on the ascent from Marcy Dam, but narrowed some and was rougher on the descent to the Algonquin trail.

Things can change over time, though.

G.

Last edited:
Are you planning on taking Whales Tail trail to the Algonquin trail, or ascending Algonquin/Iroquois from Lake Colden then over to Wright?

If Whales Tail... there will be a small stream at the Wright trail intersection as Grumpy described (unless we don't get rain for the next couple weeks). The campsite is on the south side of the trail, right at the 3500' sign, about 1 minute before the MacIntyre Brook waterfall.

If Lake Colden... you'll be following a stream 2/3 of the way up Algonquin. This trail is "muy, muy" steep... and would be a real PITA with a full pack.

Mis Amigos,

I'm not totally sure what route we'll be taking yet. I was considering backtracking down the trail to the Loj where it intersects the Algonquin trail north of Whale's Tail and heading up from that side, I know the Whale's Tail trail going from Marcy Dam heads back north for a little while, losing elevation. I wanted to do as little up and down as possible, and I know the trail from the Loj to Marcy Dam is cake.

Gracias, los tipos para toda su ayuda, quienquiera que puede leer esto tiene mi respeto. ¡Pueda el pelo nunca caída fuera y pueda el rastro siempre es fácil en las rodillas!

Con mucha apreciación,

Josh

Hiking through avalanche pass and up and over Algonquin would be an awesome hike. I dont think it would add too much time to your trip, but would probably be worth the efforts. The trail up from Lake Colden is steep, but follows a beautiful slide (with lots of water) and offers interesting vantage points to view Mount Colden.

If you have not visited avalanche pass, you will be pleasantly surprised, that is all that I will say.

Last time we went up this way, the bears ate all our food, so we had little nutrition for an arduous journey. We also ran out of water because we did not get enough on the trail up Algonquin, so make sure you keep your water supply stocked. Our last mile was bushwhacking our way back to the access road from the Algonquin trail. Did i mention we were carrying 60+ lb packs? We were scared when we ran across a bear cub in the midst of a berry patch. Perhaps it was adrenaline that kept us going.

Lesson learned! Bring a bear container!!!

-percious