Week in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
Well after forgoing the long drive to the White Mountains for a number of years I decided it was time to get up there and enjoy all they have to offer.
So the kids and I went up last Saturday for probably the best weather week so far this summer. We stayed at the Lost Pond Valley Family Campground and I have to say it was a very nice campground with nice friendly owners

Sunday 8/24/08 Osceolas from Greeley Pond
We started with the Osceolas since they were pretty close to base camp. This was a very nice trail. It was pretty steep the last 1/2 mile or so to the shoulder of East Osceola but we took our time and had some very nice views of the remainder of the trail over East Osceola to Mt Osceola from the outlook.
We took the obligatory photos at the summit cairn and headed over to Mt Osceola. This was an easier climb; and the climb up the Chimney was great fun for the kids so much so that AJ insisted on climbing back down it on the return. We soon reached the open ledge of Mt Osceola. We searched around to what we think was the true summit and came back to the ledge for the views and a snack.
The hike out was pretty quick but tough on the knees.

Monday 8/25/08 Hancocks from the Kanc.
I was a little worried about this hike because the guide book called for a very steep ascent of Hancock along side the Arrow slide with loose rock and poor footing and the weather report was calling for a chance of T storms. There were a lot of stream crossings on this trail and I was grateful that the streams all were easily passable.
After the climb I would say this was easier than the climb of E Osceola the day before and no rain fell on us. The outlook to the left of the summit was pretty nice for a break, and then we were off to South Hancock. A few up and downs and a couple of mud holes later we were on the summit. Again there was one nice outlook off of the summit and then down we went to the Jt. on the way there were nice views of the Arrow slide. Has anyone climbed this? It looks pretty steep.

Tuesday 8/26/08 Mousilauke
This was to be a rest day but it was so nice out I talked the kids into an easy climb.
We headed to the Ravine Lodge and up the Gorge Brook trail which was a very easy climb with gentle grades the whole way. I read that the trail was rerouted 15 years ago and the trail crew did a magnificent job. This turned out to be a very windy and fairly cold day. The kids had gloves and hats on the above tree line walk and took advantage of the wind shelters on top. The views were ok but not great. What a nice hike up this was our favorites so far.

Wednesday 8/27/08 Lincoln and Lafayette loop
This hike is why I fell in love with the White Mountains. We hiked up the Falling Waters trail which was a good climb but all the water falls took your mind off of the steepness. The views back to Cannon and the climb to Little Haystack were great.
The Ridge trail was out of this world. The kids and I had such a great time. The weather was perfect; that just when we got hot and tired a breeze would blow by and cool us down. The views in all directions were amazing. We passed a lot of backpackers heading north and unbelievably most were not Thru hikers. The walk up Lafayette was fun and soon we had even better views. The hike down to the Greenleaf hut was nice with the views back across the ridge and after visiting the hut the kids now want to stay at one, they loved it so much.
The hike down the Old Bridle path with all the views back to the ridge was a great way to finish off a hike that is #1 in my book. One of the most spectacular hikes I have ever had.

We took a rest day Thursday and Friday and then had a maddening 9 hour drive home.
As soon as I got home I was scheming on how to get back up there. So Columbus Day weekend we will be back for a 4 day trip and will be staying at Joe Dodge and Mizpah Hut and we can not wait.

Photos

Wonder where you've been.. :) Sounds like a great trip... A family at Mizpah sounds like it would put a giant hole in a bank account... :)

9 hours??? Wow, it only takes me about 6ish... I guess living on an island makes things tough. Glad you had a good time, the osceolas are pretty nice, even when we were there in the crowds, you must of saw the second firetower foundations toward the true summit of Osceola, as the big viewpoint seems slightly lower than the scrub brush behind it...

Jay

Hi Jay
We were at Spencer's for the ADK BBQ and were out in Montauk for some fishing

We saw the second set of bolts for the tower
The true summit seemed to be just passed the second tower location
I liked the Osceolas but Lincoln and Lafayette were incredible
I have not been above tree line like that on the east coast it was a real joy

There was a lot of traffic coming back. I told the kids we should have hiked and
came home later in the day to miss the traffic.
Maybe next time that proposition will work. I know I will certainly try it again.

PS I did not see any trip report from you
Are you or Tmax going to post?

Al

So I've heard about Lincoln and Lafayette, but I've yet to have good enough weather to make it worth it!!! I will be back though.

As far as a trip report, I should have some colorado reports up but Tmax is supposedly doing the Gannett trip report. My pictures are online and commented but I'm waiting for Tmax... at least that's my excuse. :)

I missed Spencers because of the trip, we flew out on the 9th.. But then again, I was planning on kayaking then anyway, for the most part.

Jay