West to East Pemi traverse- to be continued

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridge

I remember the bridge from a 1981 backpack trip. The north end is a morass of alders and is pretty full of water from old beaver activity and washouts, whereas the south end comes out right across the river from the main trail.

Where is the plane crash site?

Great Bushwhack
I am curious as to where exactly the plane crash site (plaque) is? I have read about it in Mr. Ramsey's book Shrouded Memories.
I am unfamilar with the old Thoreau Falls Trail.
If you are taking the present Thoreau Falls Trail, from the South how would you get to the "old trail". More precisely where would you find the plaque.
Thanks
WSC

WSC said:
Great Bushwhack
I am curious as to where exactly the plane crash site (plaque) is? I have read about it in Mr. Ramsey's book Shrouded Memories.
I am unfamilar with the old Thoreau Falls Trail.
If you are taking the present Thoreau Falls Trail, from the South how would you get to the "old trail". More precisely where would you find the plaque.
Thanks
WSC
Directions to site PM'd

Fantastic effort, especially so late in the season! I think that this hike certainly must go down as one of the Top Ten back-country efforts in the Whites this past year. Hey, Cruddytoes, what supper engagement could have been important enough to tear you away from completing this epic?

WSC said:
I don't think this is a secret, although the WMNF is proposing to remove the plaque as contrary to wilderness values.

Follow the present trail from Wilderness Trail along old railroad grade, at about 2 miles the present trail turns R on a bypass. The old RR grade (and former trail) cross the N Fork on the steppingstones in the photo. Continue along old RR grade over half a mile to plaque, if you reach next crossing you went too far. The plaque was set along the trail, the crash site is further back in the woods.

Just chiming in with my $0.02...

Pierre and I saw the old bridge on the map that is supposedly north of the confluence of Jumping Brook and the North Branch. We took a look around the corner on the west side of the river and didn't see any bridge (although there is a really sweet stealth campsite with fire ring there!) so we just headed down along the river about a quarter mile until we could rockhop across. It is fairly deep in spots there, and if Redrock Brook was running high, then this crossing was likely even more dangerous. I made it across with my long legs and youthful leaping ability, but Pierre got his feet wet. :)

Anyway, does anyone have pics of the plane crash site? I'll be redlining the Thoreau Falls trail in its entirety sometime, and I'd like to see if it is worth further inspection.

Great hike, guys - bushwhacking down Jumping Brook in the dark is quite an impressive feat. NHMH must have the instincts of an old lumber baron to know where to look for those old logging roads. FWIW... this bushwhack would be a lot easier if the brook was frozen over. It is easy enough to follow, but we always ended up a little ways into the woods on either side of it.

Happy trails, all!