whackin' and avoiding taking one in the eye

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
luck sometimes runs out. i haven't had any trees inflict damage on my eyes, but after reading a few things lately about sticks and branches and eyesight problems......i'm thinking.

i have safety glasses for grinding, power tools etc. is this what y'all wear for protection? or something else? mine seem like they would work great, googles gotta be overkill unless you're trailrunningwhackin'?!?!? naw, it'd be whackrunnin'

the starchild said:
luck sometimes runs out. i haven't had any trees inflict damage on my eyes, but after reading a few things lately about sticks and branches and eyesight problems......i'm thinking.

i have safety glasses for grinding, power tools etc. is this what y'all wear for protection? or something else? mine seem like they would work great, googles gotta be overkill unless you're trailrunningwhackin'?!?!? naw, it'd be whackrunnin'
When on a Search and Rescue mission, we are required to wear safety glasses or goggles. On my own I rarely do though even on bushwhacks. I find that my eyes get so sweaty and the visibility gets so poor from sweat on the lenses, that I am less sure footed and more dangerous to myself. I do wear a baseball cap with the brim pulled low when pushing through thick stuff, which seems to catch most of the twigs before they get to my eyes.

I've had to lead two SAR dog handlers out of the woods by hand, on separate occasions. Had to bandage both eyes on one of them so that the pain from involuntary movement of the poked one was diminished enough to move him.

My niece punctured an eye this winter while snowshoeing. Through miraculous surgery, it looks like it will turn out okay.

Yes, I wear eye protection and a billed hat. And I enforce this rule on any parties that I supervise:

Ten feet separation between each person. Do NOT hold the branch for the person behind you. Just go on, and each person is responsible for maintaining the separation and watching out for himself or herself.

I'm with Nessmuk.........

I have clear safty glasses in my "whack pack", but I find I don't usually pull them out, unless it's REAL thick, I too find it inhibits my periphreal vision too much and I bump into more stuff. I too wear a cap, but the darn thing gets ripped from my head all the time :D , but it does help. I also tend to carry my hands an arms much higher as I walk through thick stuf and make slowy, more deliberate movements, sorta like a defensive/protective posture.

One thing is certain, you gotta be real attentive when whacking, not just of the eyes either. I get whacked, poked, prodded and scratched SOMEWHERE on the boby pretty much every time out (usually several places). I've taken one or two dings NEAR the eyes, but so far have been real lucky.

Actually, my bigger fear when whacking in sloped terrain is snappin my leg off in one of those "femur eating" earthen holes that just seem to appear as you fall through it. Too much down hill momentum on one of those things could be trouble. Hanen't snapped a leg off, yet............ but banged and wrenched a knee/chin or two.

Last edited:
I always wear safety glasses when bushwhacking through the thick stuff. My left eye has had a ruptured retina,and my vision is not the greatest in it.I can't afford to have the right eye damaged. I sometimes wear ones with side shields,goggles fog up too much.

Last edited:
I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't need Rx glasses - they're not perfect but I'm fairly careful after a few accidents. I also wear a Tilley hat which is well secured with a chin strap. I keep my head down a bit so that the stiff brim is in the lead. I also keep my arms up sometimes so that they deflect the branches from my face. Other times I lead with my arm and shoulder to barrel through the really thick stuff. Now that doesn't sound like fun, does it?

I have some clear safety glasses but I hardly use them even on the real thick stuff.

I, like others tend to use my hands and poles (kind of like getting in a tuck position downhill skiing) when going through thick spruce, such that my arms and hands tend to take the usual scratches.

Another reason for long sleeve mondays :)

Jay

Woohoo... I'm picking up my 'bushwack' goggles today!

Naturally everyone can do what they want, but the stick-in-the-eye program proved it just wasn't for me.

If it were just a week or so of pain, it wouldn't be so bad. It's the recurring corneal erosion syndrome that has put me in the 'never again' column.

I went with these. They look like my kind of rig - interchangable lenses, RXable inserts, strap option, full wrap and some anti-fog vents.

Actual prices run lower than shown here, but If these work and prevent injury - they are bargain gear to me. ;)

audrey said:
I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't need Rx glasses - they're not perfect...

As an Rx glasses wearer, I can tell you that they are not enough. Branches seem to take malicious pleasure in sneaking in behind them.

If you are wearing safety glasses (not goggles), or Rx glasses, or even Rx glasses under safety goggles, MAKE SURE to wear a snug fitting glasses strap. On one 'whack last year, the glasses were yanked right off Thunder Dan's face.

sweeeet. i think i'm all good. for whacks i usually just wear my army surplus hat (imagine a cheap tilly hat) to keep crap outta my hair and keep it low on my eyes. i'll prolly just bust out the glasses for the thick stuff.

thx for the replies.

ps......... sardog1 said, "Ten feet separation between each person. Do NOT hold the branch for the person behind you. Just go on, and each person is responsible for maintaining the separation and watching out for himself or herself."

GREAT advice! i always make sure the people i'm with do not hold branches for eachother, it is indeed far safer not to do that. thx for mentioning this

Last edited:
McRat said:
I went with these. They look like my kind of rig - interchangable lenses, RXable inserts, strap option, full wrap and some anti-fog vents.

Actual prices run lower than shown here, but If these work and prevent injury - they are bargain gear to me. ;)

Damn Sam, you must have some serious disposable income :D

Like I said, I probably don't wear then enough, but my son is a fan and much more apt to put his on (who said 15 y/o aren't smarter than adults :rolleyes: ). Anyhow, these -PUPPIES- seem to do the trick and they are right in my price range....... $5.

The fact that they make you look so cool is just and added bonus. ;)

mavs00 said:

Like I said, I probably don't wear then enough, but my son is a fan and much more apt to put his on (who said 15 y/o aren't smarter than adults :rolleyes: ). Anyhow, these -PUPPIES- seem to do the trick and they are right in my price range....... $5.

I'd recommend any protective eye gear over none, and those seem like a good buy. Given that I can't use contacts, and need RX lenses, I spent a good deal of time looking for a solution. So far, this is what I'm trying.

As far as disposable income goes, I'm more of a gear-a-holic than wealthy. The good people at VISA love me.

I've missed a good two weeks of work between injury, subsequent erosions, and Dr. visits. When you find yourself sitting in a dark room because both light and blinking are painful, you kind of try to warn others.

Frankly, I'd pay $10,000 to go back in time and avoid the whole mess in the first place.

"You'll Poke Your Eye Out!"

Last winter while waiting in the parking lot of Lafeyett for others in my group to get there gear together I decided to step into the woods just over the snow enbankments to take a wiz. Just as I was zipping up I made a slight sideways turn and bang " I poked my eye out". A tiny twig that I had'nt noticed had slipped perfectly behind my glasses and caught me right in the side of my eye. I knew instantly that there would be no hiking for me on this day as the pain in my eye was intense with tears just flowing out and the alarming sensation that something was still in there. I notified my group that "We got a little problem" and explained what had just happened. The trip had to be cancelled right there in the parking lot as I became ever more certain that I needed to get my eye looked at. As it turned out I had a slight scratch to my eye that would heal itself over time. I was given an prescription for some ointment and told to stay away from bright light. I remember laying in bed with the shades pulled and wearing sunglasses for a couple of days. I also remember thinking I'm glad that did'nt happen three miles in on the trail as it would have been a bitch walking out.

mavs00 said:

I'll see you your's and raise you my cheapness! :D

I just wear a ball cap with the bill pulled down low and these SWEET sunglasses. They were the biggest ones I could find at the dollar store!!!! :D :D

I wanted these but they're just too expensive... :( ;) :D

mavs00 said:
Anyhow, these -PUPPIES- seem to do the trick and they are right in my price range....... $5.

Mavs,

Those are a pair of 'Cudas, no? If not, they look very similar. I have about 4 pairs that I use for woodworking and other dangerous-to-the-eyes projects. The 'Cudas are sweet because they also come in gray and 'rainbow mirrored' lenses. When you're done whackin', you can swap lenses and be really stylin'! :)

Seriously though, they don't seem to fog up as much as my employer-issued UVEX shades. Not sure if the design allows for better ventialltion or what, but I sweat like crazy and don't have much trouble with them.

Smitty

Double Bow said:
I just wear a ball cap with the bill pulled down low and these SWEET sunglasses. They were the biggest ones I could find at the dollar store!!!! :D :D

I wanted these but they're just too expensive... :( ;) :D

Full coverage AND stylish to boot.
They may be worth the extra $$$

audrey said:
I'd wear safety glasses if I didn't need Rx glasses - they're not perfect but I'm fairly careful after a few accidents. I also wear a Tilley hat which is well secured with a chin strap. I keep my head down a bit so that the stiff brim is in the lead. I also keep my arms up sometimes so that they deflect the branches from my face. Other times I lead with my arm and shoulder to barrel through the really thick stuff. Now that doesn't sound like fun, does it?
Why don't you just let Pat go first and follow him? :)

Count me among those who usually wear glasses of any kind during a bushwhack, at least the dense stretches.