What 4,000 footer to finish on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gotta go with the sentimental favorites, here. Adams is awesome, and there's so many different ways to do it......and the views from the Bonds (all 3....can't pick a favorite) is like a religious experience. If you have the patience (I didn't), try saving one of those.....

And if you want 48 to be easy but still with a great view, then Eisenhower via Edmands Path is the way to go.

I need 13 more for 48, and I've done most of the "best" ones already. I'm thinking Isolation for #48, though.

I'm down to 6 left: Cabot, Waumbek, Owl's Head, Passaconnaway, Adams, and Madison.

I have earmarked Adams for last, probably next year sometime. It sounds like a lot of people think that's a good one to finish on. I tried Owl's Head last week but got turned back at the first stream crossing. Cabout is on tap for tomorrow.

Grouseking, I agree with the others about the Bonds or Adams/Madison.

We finished with a loop hike - Whiteface to Passaconaway. It was peaceful and that's what we wanted.

Another suggestion is Mt. Carrigain. The views from the platform are 360 and spectacular. You can see most of the 4000-footers (43?) and it's fun standing up there and pointing out all the mountains climbed by name. It's not a difficult or exceptionally long hike up and down by the Signal Ridge Trail but you can make it longer, harder and more interesting by taking Signal Ridge Trail to Carrigain Notch Trail and summiting via Desolation Trail (steep) then descending via Signal Ridge. Having seen Carrigain Notch fro Zeacliff it was fun to hike though it. You'll have company on Carrigain but maybe you'll get a few cheers.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Id say Zealand because it has such a great veiw :D :D J/K

I would finish with Adams. I was there the other day and it had great veiws. A close second would be the bond cliff even though I was scared outta my wits while on that cliff.

When I started my 4Ks last November I put no thought what so ever to what MT. I would finish with. All I have left is Waumbek,Galehead, Bond, West Bond the Carters, Wildcats and Moriah. I will prob finish with the carters and wildcats as a day trip and just have a friend pick me up at the base of Wildcat.

Good luck :cool:

Don't worry about it.

Grouseking

You still have a long way to go, take it one mountain at a time. Each will be special and have it's own sentimental meaning and memory.. As you progress, keep up the enthusiasm and enjoy each peak as you check it off the list..

I agree with HockeyPuck. I can't say I ever earmarked a peak for my 48. I usually sought to plan interesting day hikes or overnights that would hit more than one peak or via interesting routes (Carrigain via Carriagain Notch & Desolation, Hale via Firewarden's trail). I'm ending on Isolation (hopefully next month). I think once you get closer to the end you will have an easier time picking a finishing peak.

West Bond -Save the best for last

I finished last month on West Bond on a clear day. I could not asked for a better place to finish. The views were outstanding. You can look all around and see just about all of the 48. And you are on a spur so it is quiet , peaceful and serene. I spent about 30 minutes on the peak with a couple of people thinking about what a beautiful place it was. I am also planning on going back soon.

Thats my story

HockeyPuck said:
Grouseking

You still have a long way to go, take it one mountain at a time. Each will be special and have it's own sentimental meaning and memory.. As you progress, keep up the enthusiasm and enjoy each peak as you check it off the list..

Yeah, I know. Every time I hike I love it, no matter what happens. I just prefer to end with a great view and a challenging hike. So as long as I get rid of Tecumseh, Cabot, Waumbek (although I hear there are nice views from The Horn) and Galehead I'll be all set. I dont mind doing Owls Head because there is that view of the Lincoln Brook Valley and F. Ridge....plus it sounds like quite a challenging hike. Actually, relaxing in the shade after finishing sounds quite nice. As you said, I do take it a mtn at a time and I do know that no matter what I end up on, I will enjoy it. :) I appreciate everyone's input. It is real neat hearing different opinions.
grouseking

I vote for finishing on Adams via King Ravine Trail, descend either airline or the path that takes you past Crag Camp for a spectucular view from the rim of the Ravine. Do Madison on a separate hike. These mountains and the trails that rise from Appalachia are among my favorite in the east and worth doing over & over.

I'll cast a vote for Adams as well.
Washington was my first and Adams was my last. Not that I planned it that way, but it was a nice finish!

Unfortunately, I've done the best mountains already--except Carragain. So my #48 is decided! Otherwise, I'd finish on Adams or Bondcliff, although Moosilauke is another of my favorites, especially going up Beaver Brook, staying at the shelter, and then it's a fairly easy morning saunter to the summit.

grouseking said:
I have been trying to figure out which one I want to finish on, but I want it to be difficult so I can say I accomplished one of the hardest in New Hampshire. So far I have completed in order:

Osceola, Moosilauke, Washington, Field, Tom, North Twin, South Twin, Zealand, North Kinsman, South Kinsman, Carrigain and East Osceola

Any ideas on what to finish on. I'd like a high difficulty level and great views.
thanks
grouseking

I finished with Owl's Head - wouldn't recommend that! Do Tecumseh some day when you are half asleep! My vote would be for Jefferson with a Castle/Caps Ridge Loop!

Fred

any of the Northern Presi's, South Twin, Carrigain, Isolation, or any of the Bonds would work in terms of tougher ones with 360 degree views.

Its all in what you ar looking for, I have my "start where I end" philosophy, but that would put you at Tecumseh(whatever you do don't end there!), I am sure there are plenty of other ways to figure it out, you've certainly got a bunch of peaks left to figure it out, afterall the way you go about working on the list may help you decide where to end.